Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times

Advertisements

It called being a major city

ATL was 1.5 to 2 million during the 70s

It's now approaching 6 million, of course North Fulton doesn't look the way it did during the 70's.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:57 AM

225 posts, read 144,136 times
You folks are so worldly and intelligent how dare me inhabit the same thread.
Agree with most of this though based on experience, inexpensive is relative to which area of Woodstock though:

Pros of Woodstock:
Inexpensive
Highway access
Cute/vibrant downtown
Close to mountains

Cons:
Incredibly busy all the time

Old 12-02-2018, 11:58 AM

225 posts, read 144,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
Build. More. Transit.
Most definitely.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Trouillot: remove the UI and then the OT and what are you left with?

This one is obvious, folks.

i agree with what they said, whether they're a troll or not. it's like we're looking up to all the other big cities as ideal, when they're not! they have tons of problems. we need to be learning from the mistakes of other cities instead of copying them. we could be a way better city than all of those other cities if we had the vision. step one is putting people first. also learning to take criticism!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i agree with what they said, whether they're a troll or not. it's like we're looking up to all the other big cities as ideal, when they're not! they have tons of problems. we need to be learning from the mistakes of other cities instead of copying them. we could be a way better city than all of those other cities if we had the vision. step one is putting people first. also learning to take criticism!
We are.
We could.
We do.

How are we not "Putting People First"? What does that even mean?

Step three is acquiring an ability to distinguish legitimate criticism from barely coherent trolling.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:25 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
You folks are so worldly and intelligent how dare me inhabit the same thread.
Agree with most of this though based on experience, inexpensive is relative to which area of Woodstock though:

Pros of Woodstock:
Inexpensive
Highway access
Cute/vibrant downtown
Close to mountains

Cons:
Incredibly busy all the time
Yes, indeed we are. And incredibly busy according to whom and compared to what?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
No experience living in metro Atlanta. Spent time there and liked the little time it took to travel there from North Fulton back in mid-1970's into early 1980's. Buckhead, Peaches Records (Peachtree Blvd.), Fox Theatre and Alex Cooley's were my second homes (oh the time wasted when young). My comments directed at experiences in suburbs north of Atlanta. Am advocate for public transportation. Hope build-out of charging stations doesn't take forever (of course demand must be there, and not enough electric vehicles on Atlanta region roads thus far from my cursory observations). Perhaps a large enough tax incentive would help increase electric vehicle purchases?). Concerned about trade-off as electric vehicle battery manufacture and electric charging stations rely mostly upon traditional fossil fuel energy. Natural gas appears to be a cleaner energy source from extraction to use perspective. Frown when I hear some say wind energy is not really viable energy source. Anyone who has driven across the country along southern route in past decade will see the miles and miles of wind turbines across Texas and Oklahoma. We are talking about conservative states, and their governments have really embraced wind energy. Have lived in Cottonwood (AZ), Mid-Hudson Valley (NY), Miami (FL), Bucks County (PA), Virginia Beach (VA), Dallas/Ft.Worth (TX), Los Feliz/San Fernando Valley (CA) and spent three years living abroad. Traveling and experiencing life elsewhere really opens ones eyes to what makes sense and what doesn't. At least to the extent one can understand how a place functions best (or not) for its residents so as to use that learning experience for comparison purposes. Not an Atlanta hater, but dislike what has happened to the region. No doubt there must be many positives in the area of which I am ignorant. I leave comments looking for replies from others so as to learn from others perspectives.
Atlanta was a leader in electric cars sales/leases before the State ended the tax credit and slapped a yearly electric car fee.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
How are we not "Putting People First"? What does that even mean?
i'm sorry if i didn't communicate clearly. to me i meant looking at a metro of 6 million equal individuals instead of a metro of fortune 500 companies or a metro of celebrities. we hand out to those who already have made it, and pass laws to make it harder for anyone else to get there. people on the bottom end of the economic totem pole don't have the legal ability to start their own business and be a free agent in the economy like people at the top do, and that's our fault. what i meant was that we should see the homeless person as equivalent to the CEO— they're both humans. we need to start believing in people again and not institutions.

just because other cities do it too doesn't make it the right thing to do. you become a leader not by following, but by making your own path.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Are you making any actual, realistic suggestions here? Other than "our leaders need to lead"? Does that actually mean anything?

We need to not be Georgia anymore. But we can't. So, here we are. Lots of evangelicals with southern accents, lots of racial fears, more heat and humidity every year, and no passenger trains or legal cannabis.

I'm from here and I don't like it. Never actually chose Metro Atlanta or Georgia or the South. My parents just sort of ended up here and then my life has always just been based here. So, I'm planning to move north or west; likely a bit of both.

LOL. That very much sounds like me. I'm going to be here for a little while though and so will have to wait to move. I was hoping that maybe things would change enough for me to consider staying longer but after kemp got elected governor (with people knowing about the things he's done) and an insurance commissioner who will obviously look out for auto insurance companies who rip us off, I'm thinking change will be a lot slower than I previously imagined.

Good luck on your move and please let us know how it goes when you do decide. I'm not yet certain where I'd like to move...I have considered states like Washington but also thinking of states in the Northeast, etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Wait a minute...all this bloviation about Atlanta's woes and failures and you've never even lived there?
LOL.
I've spent considerable time in London (my daughter lives there), Paris, Barcelona and Prague et al, but I certainly don't think that qualifies me to speak to the quality of life there. Living in a city is a much more multilayered experience than dropping in. The real magic of a city lies in its nooks and crannies; like any city, the old ones sometimes fall away in Atlanta, but new(and often better) ones appear every day.
Bemoaning the passing of the good old days gets you nowhere, as it blinds you to the successes, advances and staggering possibilities of what I consider to be a great American city.

I've never understood how people are so okay with watching t.v. or looking at one article and deciding they know a place. Makes absolutely no sense. I one time read a thread on here regarding certain countries in West Asia (some even regard them as part of Africa due to the proximity but better known as the Middle East) and this guy was making all kinds of statements. I had to correct the person because they were posting lies. I told them they obviously haven't lived there because there is a.c. and in certain countries the citizens have a better quality of life than the citizens here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta