Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:12 PM

26 posts, read 31,452 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in the Atlanta metro area. If I live in Jasper/Ellijay or Arrowhead Lake area, is the drive to Atlanta airport 3-4 times per month for business travel a crazy idea? Yes, I realize it would be over one hour and 30 minutes up to 2 hours, but that's just me Google mapping it at different times of the day. I was hoping to hear about anybody who has experienced this or if I'm underestimating the hell that is Atlanta traffic.

Thanks.

P.S. I otherwise work remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
the estimate given is with nominal travel conditions.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Not for 3-4 times per month. The peace, quiet and nature will be worth it! I did this from Blue Ridge during the summer months for four or five years. Could take me two and a half hours (a few times more) to get into Midtown. Totally worth it.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I don't think it's worth worrying about living close to the airport if you only need to go there that infrequently and don't need to come into town any other time.

Can you schedule flights at times where you will be able to avoid commuter traffic?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
This is all personal opinion. Not sure I could do it but what is important to me is not important to others.

I am looking to retire closer the airport.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 PM

126 posts, read 83,841 times
Not really if you take 75 to 285. As long as you are on 285 by 7pm you will have a straight shot because you will have a reverse commute on 285. Also make sure you are on 75 in the afternoon by 3:30pm if you can

Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Not crazy at all.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
From Ellijay, you can get to Chattanooga airport (CHA) in about the same amount of time it takes to get to the Atlanta airport. If you are trying to make the trip during the morning rush, driving to CHA would probably take less time. I don't know where you would need to fly, or if you could get there direct from CHA. But it is something to consider.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoscav View Post
I have never lived in the Atlanta metro area. If I live in Jasper/Ellijay or Arrowhead Lake area, is the drive to Atlanta airport 3-4 times per month for business travel a crazy idea? Yes, I realize it would be over one hour and 30 minutes up to 2 hours, but that's just me Google mapping it at different times of the day. I was hoping to hear about anybody who has experienced this or if I'm underestimating the hell that is Atlanta traffic.

Thanks.

P.S. I otherwise work remotely.
If you have to make the trip to the Atlanta Airport from northwest metro Atlanta/north Georgia exurban locations like Arrowhead Lake, Jasper or Ellijay during morning peak hours (roughly between 6:30-9am), the trip potentially could take upwards of 2 hours, 30 minutes and/or more in the worst traffic and/or weather conditions.

Likewise, if you have to make the trip from the Atlanta Airport to north metro Atlanta/north Georgia exurban locations like Arrowhead Lake, Jasper or Ellijay during afternoon/evening peak hours (roughly between about 4-6pm), the trip also potentially could take upwards of 2 hours, 30 minutes and/or more in the worst traffic and/or weather conditions.

The good news is that, 1) you will be able to use the new reversible tolled express lanes on Interstates 75 and 575 Northwest should you have to travel to the ATL Airport during morning peak traffic hours, and should you have to travel home from the ATL Airport during afternoon/evening peak traffic hours.

The I-75/I-575 tolled express lanes flow southbound towards the I-285 Perimeter in the morning (roughly about 12 midnight to 12 noon) and flow northbound away from the I-285 Perimeter in the afternoon/evening.

The I-75/I-575 tolled express lanes also can cost upwards of $1.00 per mile during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours while only costing a flat fee of $0.50 per trip no matter how much or how little one travels in the lanes during the lowest traffic times of the off-peak period.

With you only needing to travel between the Northwest metro Atlanta/North Georgia exurbs and the Atlanta Airport about 3-4 times per month, it might be worth it for you to invest in a Peach Pass to use the I-75/I-575 tolled express lanes if you think that you will have to travel to and from the ATL Airport during peak traffic hours.

That is because the I-75/I-575 Northwest Corridor tolled express lanes will allow you to bypass/speed past much of the extremely heavy traffic that packs and gridlocks the untolled general purpose lanes.

Otherwise, like other posters have stated, it will be more than worth it to live the North Georgia/Blue Ridge Foothills/Mountains lifestyle if you only have to travel to and from the ATL Airport only about 3-4 times a month.

Also, you likely should not encounter too many problems with traffic (including in the untolled general purpose lanes of Interstates 75 and 575 Northwest) if you have to travel to and from the ATL Airport during off-peak traffic hours (like when traveling to the ATL Airport for very early morning flights departing in the 5 and 6am hours, and like when traveling from the ATL Airport from flights that have arrived after evening rush hour (roughly after 7pm until about 1am)).

If you are interested and/or if it is feasible for you in your situation, or if you might need it at anytime, you potentially could also consider using a hired car company that provides private service to and from the Atlanta Airport and Northwest metro Atlanta/North Georgia exurban areas like Arrowhead Lake, Jasper and Ellijay.

An airport shuttle bus/van service that provides service between ATL Airport and exurban Northwest metro Atlanta/North Georgia and a rideshare company (like Lyft or Uber) that provides service on return trips from arrivals might also be an option, if wanted, desired and/or needed, when wanted, desired and/or needed.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:14 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
From Ellijay, you can get to Chattanooga airport (CHA) in about the same amount of time it takes to get to the Atlanta airport. If you are trying to make the trip during the morning rush, driving to CHA would probably take less time. I don't know where you would need to fly, or if you could get there direct from CHA. But it is something to consider.
This is an excellent suggestion.

In addition to being a really good option if you were to live in Ellijay, flying out of (and into) the Chattanooga Airport appears like it would also be a really good option if you were to live in areas that were closer to Atlanta like Jasper and the Arrowhead Lake community.

During morning peak traffic hours, there will be days when getting to the Chattanooga Airport from all three areas will be easier than getting to the Atlanta Airport by way of major commuter super-arterial/superhighway routes like Georgia Highway 515/Interstate 575, Interstate 75 and Interstate 285 southbound.

Just like during afternoon/evening peak traffic hours, there will be days when getting home from the Chattanooga Airport to all three areas will be easier than getting home from the Atlanta Airport via the aforementioned super-arterial/superhighway routes.

Though, even with the relative increased convenience of getting to and from the Chattanooga Airport, the Atlanta Airport obviously will (as the world's busiest airport with about 2,700 departing and arriving flights each day on average) ofter dozens and dozens of more flight options than the much smaller (but still very serviceable) Chattanooga Airport (about 130 departing and arriving flights each day on average).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta