Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:21 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,122,972 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Also, I wish we had less shopping and food places and more entertainment venues in the city limits.
I've said many times that it makes no sense that we have to drive all the way to Norcross for go-karts and mini-golfing. We do more in the city of Atlanta than shop and eat for goodness sake. We didn't need BA or Ponce City Market to be honest. The entirety of PCM could have been a gargantuan gaming, roller skating, ice skating, mini-golf, heck, man-made beach at the top. All we do in Atlanta is shop and eat. Look at beautiful cities like Chicago that have monopolized on out door activity. If a city thatcstays as cold as Chicago does can do it why isnt Atlanta making use of its great yearround weather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I’m not going back and forth with you over preception vs reality. These stores exist in their physical form in Atlanta for a reason. They don’t have the same foot traffic as J. Crew. Look at Lenox in comparison to Phipps. Lenox is like New York City and Phipps is like Jackson, MS in terms of foot traffic. Phipps also carters to a much more exclusive clientele, therefore it’s going to draw less than all inclusive Lenox. BA is even more exclusive than Phipps so it’s not hard to comprehend.

But it’s your narrative you spin it how you want to. Just feed it to those who don’t understand the game.

There are those of us who understand how the luxury market works. I used to work in Lenox a long time ago. I know how it goes. JMATL explained it clearer than clear.

That being said, I do agree 100 percent that this development was pointless and it would have made sense to just add these stores to Lenox & Phipps and call it a win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 06:38 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
Quote:
You know Buckhead wouldn’t have it any other way.
If you asked the locals I'd wager that you'd get a majority who would be delighted to do without all the fancy hotels and highrises and $2500 shoe stores in Buckhead. They've been fighting development for decades and would love to just have a quiet residential neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,967,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you asked the locals I'd wager that you'd get a majority who would be delighted to do without all the fancy hotels and highrises and $2500 shoe stores in Buckhead. They've been fighting development for decades and would love to just have a quiet residential neighborhood.
Spot on, Arjay. The whole of the 5 points in Buckhead has been overbuilt, all human-scale lost. I imagine a time when a lot of the new high-rise residential/hotel/office space in the area will sit empty. If not, there will be unimaginable gridlock. I understand why it's happened but miss the 1970s when we walked to our little downtown to the fabric store, hardware store, restaurants, Sears, the headshop High Times (well, it wasn't my destination, but it was there!). The scale of those buildings was more welcoming, to say the least.

To those speaking of BA as being higher end than Phipps--have you been recently? Perhaps the rent is already getting cheaper as developers have sold it at a loss, but there are some moderate stores there now, such as Luna and Joie (nice stores but not crazy expensive). Still no customers to be seen, no one hanging out. If you want to get a taste of our community, head to Peachtree Battle or West Paces Ferry shopping centers. Those are our "downtown" areas and have been for a while.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,500,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Spot on, Arjay. The whole of the 5 points in Buckhead has been overbuilt, all human-scale lost. I imagine a time when a lot of the new high-rise residential/hotel/office space in the area will sit empty. If not, there will be unimaginable gridlock. I understand why it's happened but miss the 1970s when we walked to our little downtown to the fabric store, hardware store, restaurants, Sears, the headshop High Times (well, it wasn't my destination, but it was there!). The scale of those buildings was more welcoming, to say the least.

To those speaking of BA as being higher end than Phipps--have you been recently? Perhaps the rent is already getting cheaper as developers have sold it at a loss, but there are some moderate stores there now, such as Luna and Joie (nice stores but not crazy expensive). Still no customers to be seen, no one hanging out. If you want to get a taste of our community, head to Peachtree Battle or West Paces Ferry shopping centers. Those are our "downtown" areas and have been for a while.
We usually agree on a lot but we’re parting here...

Let’s not act like Lenox & Phipps haven’t been the crown jewel of Buckhead for the past 60 years.

Buckhead residents be like: Yeah, I want to live in a multi million dollar mansion in the most exclusive district in the Southeastern United States but I wanna drive a Kia Optima and buy shoes at Payless. We don’t do Jimmy Choi, Zanoti, or Red Bottoms. We don’t do trips to London or Milan. Dinner at Aria? That’s so Alpharetta. We vacation in Wilmington, NC and eat Krystal’s around here.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,967,873 times
Quote:

Let’s not act like Lenox & Phipps haven’t been the crown jewel of Buckhead for the past 60 years.

Buckhead residents be like: Yeah, I want to live in a multi million dollar mansion in the most exclusive district in the Southeastern United States but I wanna drive a Kia Optima and buy shoes at Payless. We don’t do Jimmy Choi, Zanoti, or Red Bottoms. We don’t do trips to London or Milan. Dinner at Aria? That’s so Alpharetta. We vacation in Wilmington, NC and eat Krystal’s around here.
I actually agree with the above, isawooty. I must not have gotten my point across well. I just feel like we didn't need more Lenox/Phipps retail space, we already have that. It needs more interesting boutiques, variety of stores like PCM or Westside Provisions to get the locals to go there, IMO. I agree, Krystal and Payless would not work here. . But it could be high-end with a different mix that would be more warm and inviting--although it will be an uphill climb since the architecture is itself not very friendly, sadly.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,387,098 times
Quote:
I’m not going back and forth with you over preception vs reality. These stores exist in their physical form in Atlanta for a reason. They don’t have the same foot traffic as J. Crew. Look at Lenox in comparison to Phipps. Lenox is like New York City and Phipps is like Jackson, MS in terms of foot traffic. Phipps also carters to a much more exclusive clientele, therefore it’s going to draw less than all inclusive Lenox. BA is even more exclusive than Phipps so it’s not hard to comprehend.

But it’s your narrative you spin it how you want to. Just feed it to those who don’t understand the game.

There are those of us who understand how the luxury market works. I used to work in Lenox a long time ago. I know how it goes. JMATL explained it clearer than clear.

That being said, I do agree 100 percent that this development was pointless and it would have made sense to just add these stores to Lenox & Phipps and call it a win.

And the foot traffic at phipps is still much more than that of Buckhead Atlanta so I don't really see the point lol. Hell I shop at Phipps myself and i've been to "Buckhead Atlanta" more than a couple times and there is no comparison in the number of shoppers for the luxury stores. You assume i'm talking from a watching standpoint instead of one that actually shops in those stores. And didn't Tom Ford move to Phipps for that exact reason? That's...kinda my point. That entire development has been a disaster since they built it. And no, the tenants are not satisfied with the few shoppers they get there. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of them leave there and go to Phipps either.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM
bu2

23,877 posts, read 14,674,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Agreed. Also, I wish we had less shopping and food places and more entertainment venues in the city limits.
I've said many times that it makes no sense that we have to drive all the way to Norcross for go-karts and mini-golfing. We do more in the city of Atlanta than shop and eat for goodness sake. We didn't need BA or Ponce City Market to be honest. The entirety of PCM could have been a gargantuan gaming, roller skating, ice skating, mini-golf, heck, man-made beach at the top. All we do in Atlanta is shop and eat. Look at beautiful cities like Chicago that have monopolized on out door activity. If a city thatcstays as cold as Chicago does can do it why isnt Atlanta making use of its great yearround weather?

Atlanta is just not particularly family friendly. When our kids were younger, we often went ITP to shop for clothes. And, of course, there's the go-karts, mini-golf, skyzone and those sorts of places all in the burbs.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:05 PM

16,643 posts, read 29,337,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta is just not particularly family friendly. When our kids were younger, we often went ITP to shop for clothes. And, of course, there's the go-karts, mini-golf, skyzone and those sorts of places all in the burbs.
You mean OTP?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM
bu2

23,877 posts, read 14,674,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You mean OTP?
Yes. OTP.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
Quote:

Oh, come now. I'd say the Peachtree Battle shopping center reflects the habits of Buckhead residents more than London or Milan. We were recently at a dinner party with several folks up there and they said they hadn't been to Lenox or Phipps in years, and I seriously doubt that they go out to fancy-schmancy restaurants on a regular basis.

Remember, when Lenox opened it was anchored by mainstream department stores Rich's and Macy's. It had a gas station, pet store, a movie theatre, a dime store, and a Colonial grocery. And yes, Buckhead has a Krystal and just about every other fast food joint imaginable and they seem to stay pretty busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta