Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,080 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with our two toddlers are relocating to the milton area for work. I understand that this is a rural town and I love the huge lots and beautiful landscapes, BUT I am concerned that I will feel isolated as I do not see many parks, libraries, or potential kids activities in the area. I would love to hear what kind of activities there are for kids (besides White Columns!) out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:03 AM

340 posts, read 319,057 times
While Milton may "feel" isolated, there is still a Walmart,Target, and Publix and in the city itself. You also are never "isolated" because you are a short drive away from Cumming and Alpharetta which both have a ton to do.

If you are talking about neighborhoods, you have the Manor and a lot of other communities that have their own clubhouse pool, etc. The Milton Library is extremely nice and they have plenty of summer camps and activities for kids throughout the enitre year. I would also presume that all of the schools have excellent summer camps. From personal experience, I know that Cambridge HS has a very highly regarded jazz camp for middlescholer and HS students.

As for parks, Bell Memorial Park just underwent a multimillion dollar expansion. There was also a join membership program for Alpharetta parks and rec that just expired, but it might come back soon.
https://www.cityofmiltonga.us/parks-...on/facilities/

Old 07-01-2019, 11:12 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,664,293 times
I don't have specifics to offer you, only to say that Milton seems to almost be the suburb of Alpharetta, in that Alpharetta is a job center and has all the amenities. It's where people live when they want to be away from the bustle. To me, it does not necessarily give off the "young family" vibe as much as the family with teenagers vibe? Once again, other than driving through, I have not lived there so please take my response with a grain of salt. Someone from Milton could tell me my assumptions are way off base, and I'd respect that.

My family has young children and we moved to East Cobb which is great for families, but in hindsight most of my son's friend's parents are in their 40's (as opposed to young - mid 30's like us). Not like that's a terrible thing, but in other words, you CAN purchase yourself out of having peer families. Our home price is about $100K higher than what it seems like other young 30's families are buying, so that is something to think about.

In general, neighborhood pools, parks, libraries, and lots of extracurricular activities are decent signs of young families.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMove6 View Post
My husband and I along with our two toddlers are relocating to the milton area for work. I understand that this is a rural town and I love the huge lots and beautiful landscapes, BUT I am concerned that I will feel isolated as I do not see many parks, libraries, or potential kids activities in the area. I would love to hear what kind of activities there are for kids (besides White Columns!) out here.
There is a Milton branch of the Fulton County Library in Crabapple. Most of Milton is really suburban, not “rural”. Depending on where you settle it’s only a few minutes to Downtown Alpharetta, parks and activities for kids.

Will you have a vehicle? Where in Milton are you looking to settle?

Old 07-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Yes, I have a vehicle and the current house we are looking at is in Kinglsey Estates. I understand that there are things to do closer to Alpharetta, but I was looking for other things a little closer. We are pretty close to Scottsdale Farm which is great! I am just used to having a million things to do around me so it does feel like things are far away. Additionally, I have been warned over and over and over that traffic is terrible and we won't be able to make it to anything quickly, so I am concerned about feel stuck in my house!

Old 07-01-2019, 01:32 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,202,052 times
Quote:
Yes, I have a vehicle and the current house we are looking at is in Kinglsey Estates. I understand that there are things to do closer to Alpharetta, but I was looking for other things a little closer. We are pretty close to Scottsdale Farm which is great! I am just used to having a million things to do around me so it does feel like things are far away. Additionally, I have been warned over and over and over that traffic is terrible and we won't be able to make it to anything quickly, so I am concerned about feel stuck in my house!
My office is in Milton (just over Alpharetta border). Just avoid doing errands during rush hour and I don't think you'll hit much traffic. Granted, your house will be about 6-7 miles from the "action" in Alpharetta, so the drive is just something to get used to if you want to live further north in Milton.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:04 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Milton's recreation program isn't extensive, especially for little ones. There are several privately run camps during the summer months, but during the school year your best bets would be through the Alpharetta or Roswell rec departments, both of which are huge. Atlanta traffic is legendary, but if you don't need to get on the roads during rush hours, it's nothing to be concerned about.

There's a FB page you might want to check out :https://www.facebook.com/Miltonmomsfamilyfunaroundatl/

Old 07-01-2019, 02:07 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,934,709 times
Quote:
It seems like you are looking at houses in an area zoned for big lots and a horse country feel, but you would like to live closer to kids stuff. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in North Fulton that are filled with toddlers, but they tend to be smaller lots and closer to town.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Kingsley Estates is probably 2 miles north of where I am, so it's a bit further away but everything is still within 6-7 miles.

As another person posted, traffic usually isn't horrible in Milton/Alpharetta except for maybe 5-6 pm where commuters are heading home. This isn't Atlanta proper.

Also, the homes you are looking at there are considerably larger/more expensive than most, so that's also a consideration. You'll see more younger couples with kids closer in with houses $200-300K less.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Milton's recreation program isn't extensive, especially for little ones. There are several privately run camps during the summer months, but during the school year your best bets would be through the Alpharetta or Roswell rec departments, both of which are huge. Atlanta traffic is legendary, but if you don't need to get on the roads during rush hours, it's nothing to be concerned about.

There's a FB page you might want to check out :https://www.facebook.com/Miltonmomsfamilyfunaroundatl/
Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I truly appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta