Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
imo a single new HRT station in Clayton (@Sullivan) with the eventual goal of connecting over to 75 would yield more benefit than the entire commuter rail project for the county. I feel like what's needed is efficient bus transfer service to the airport and downtown via MARTA HRT from all over Clayton. This would connect all of the major road arteries in northern Clayton to MARTA without going through 75/285 and up to College Park Station, which is circuitous and congested.

Instead, we'll get a single rail corridor in service only during "normal commuting hours" (that will be ~useless to all of the people who work at the airport), which I feel will do a very mediocre job serving the transportation needs of the county. It will be a repeat of Sunrail in Orlando, which has been an unmitigated disaster (after many hundreds of millions of dollars spent the entire system still just has a few thousand riders per day, which lags far below your typical single MARTA station).
Unlike SunRail, it will have transfers to the existing rail system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 03:33 PM

6,330 posts, read 11,871,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unlike SunRail, it will have transfers to the existing rail system.
Eventually the SunRail will have transfers to the Brightline/Virgin Train.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,664,152 times
Quote:
imo a single new HRT station in Clayton (@Sullivan) with the eventual goal of connecting over to 75 would yield more benefit than the entire commuter rail project for the county. I feel like what's needed is efficient bus transfer service to the airport and downtown via MARTA HRT from all over Clayton. This would connect all of the major road arteries in northern Clayton to MARTA without going through 75/285 and up to College Park Station, which is circuitous and congested.

Instead, we'll get a single rail corridor in service only during "normal commuting hours" (that will be ~useless to all of the people who work at the airport), which I feel will do a very mediocre job serving the transportation needs of the county. It will be a repeat of Sunrail in Orlando, which has been an unmitigated disaster (after many hundreds of millions of dollars spent the entire system still just has a few thousand riders per day, which lags far below your typical single MARTA station).
Clayton's also getting two BRT lines.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 AM

30 posts, read 23,392 times
Quote:

You sure about that? Im sure they know that people in Clayton have to go to work at the airport daily and all-day

Old 01-03-2019, 10:49 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,948,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googgo View Post
You sure about that? Im sure they know that people in Clayton have to go to work at the airport daily and all-day
Back when it was the Lovejoy train I believe the proposal was for half a dozen trains to Atlanta in the morning, half a dozen returning in the afternoon. Skeletal compared with the transportation needs of the county. I don't think service details are available for the current plan.

Also, let's keep in mind the current plan is to run a train to East Point and not downtown. Which isn't necessarily awful--running the train downtown would be insanely unfeasible, and this is something I've advocated for in the past--but the theoretical commuters on this train will be 100% transfer passengers, which puts this at a disadvantage compared with Sunrail et al.

All of this speaks to the conclusion that commuter rail is simply not a great fit for this corridor(/city?); just extend the HRT a couple stations and beef up the bus service.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Quote:
Back when it was the Lovejoy train I believe the proposal was for half a dozen trains to Atlanta in the morning, half a dozen returning in the afternoon. Skeletal compared with the transportation needs of the county. I don't think service details are available for the current plan.

Also, let's keep in mind the current plan is to run a train to East Point and not downtown. Which isn't necessarily awful--running the train downtown would be insanely unfeasible, and this is something I've advocated for in the past--but the theoretical commuters on this train will be 100% transfer passengers, which puts this at a disadvantage compared with Sunrail et al.

All of this speaks to the conclusion that commuter rail is simply not a great fit for this corridor(/city?); just extend the HRT a couple stations and beef up the bus service.
I feel like HRT should be extended to at least Forest Park, as the original MARTA plan entailed. In fact, if they're only running trains during commuter hours, I'd rather have LRT, even if it's slower.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:47 PM

30 posts, read 23,392 times
Quote:

Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,846,193 times
Do we really know if this line is being designed as Commuter Rail? I seriously doubt the plan is to only have rush hour service.

One of the big complaints in Orlando is that Sunrail doesn't run at night or on weekends. Clayton deserves real rail service that mimics the rest of the network.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 AM

840 posts, read 2,078,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Clayton's also getting two BRT lines.
I wish they would publish what the potential BRT routes would be. Current transit use, especially the 196 should show that BRT would work in the County.

I'm thinking the two lines are going to be Northwest Clayton/Riverdale Line and Tara Blvd/Jonesboro/Lovejoy Line.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM

234 posts, read 142,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I wish they would publish what the potential BRT routes would be. Current transit use, especially the 196 should show that BRT would work in the County.

I'm thinking the two lines are going to be Northwest Clayton/Riverdale Line and Tara Blvd/Jonesboro/Lovejoy Line.
Pretty sure i've already seen the map that included BRT, which might even be on this forum. I'll see if I can pull it up. 196 was one being considered for BRT.

I don't think this was the map I was thinking of, however cannot place the other:
"On this map from MARTA, green marks the future rail line, orange marks future bus rapid transit and blue marks parts of major roads for reference"
https://45tkhs2ch4042kf51f1akcju-wpe...02-pages-2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta