U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cobb vs. Gwinnett
Cobb 30 63.83%
Gwinnett 17 36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:59 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,139,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You will never get Yard of the Month.

You are damn right! I'dprobably choose a townhouse to live in anyway. As someone who is single, I treasure enjoying my life, networking/socializing over yard work. The yard I work on right now is lready too much. It never stops the work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 06:03 PM

4,191 posts, read 5,820,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
With South Gwinnett, I think of the Brookwood, Shiloh, Parkview, South Gwinnett, and Grayson clusters.

The Parkview-Brookwood corridor is one of the "lucky" unincorporated areas that I am talking about.

Gwinnett Cluster Map
https://publish.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/g...S&CVID=miMIt8h
I was coming back to say the same thing. South Gwinnett reminds of the 124 corridor more so than this area.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,139,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yes! This.

I was getting ready to comment on the beating that Gwinnett seems to be taking on this thread and was getting ready to urge everyone to not be so down on Gwinnett when it comes to comparisons to Cobb, which appears to be the favorite of a noticeable majority of commenters on this thread.

Adding to what you said about your favorite parts of Gwinnett, I will also note such great parts of Gwinnett as Berkeley Lake, Cardinal Lake, the Gwinnett side of the Chattahoochee River Valley near North Gwinnett High School, the Gwinnett section of the Lake Lanier shore, Tribble Mill Park, Yellow River Park, Freeman's Mill Park, Lake Lucerne, the Collins Hill area (including Collins Hill Park and Lake Richland), and the Mountain Park area.

To further add to Gwinnett's defense, I will note that Gwinnett has a local high school/prep sports scene that is regarded by many as one of the most competitive in the nation, particularly when it comes to high school/prep football.

The county is known to be a prime recruiting ground for college football programs.

Tbh, I was surprised to see so many choose Cobb over Gwinnett after the posts I've seen.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm4226 View Post
Which northern Atlanta suburb do you prefer IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE and why? Cobb vs. Gwinnett the ultimate northern Atlanta showdown!
Cobb is over all still much nicer, however it may have stopped growing. If that's true then they will have real problems going forward. Gwinnett is still growing and has Suwanee which looks to overtake East Cobb as the top schools in the state. Dekalb stopped growing and you can really see the decline.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:01 PM

2,632 posts, read 1,561,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietridr View Post
Cobb is over all still much nicer, however it may have stopped growing. If that's true then they will have real problems going forward. Gwinnett is still growing and has Suwanee which looks to overtake East Cobb as the top schools in the state. Dekalb stopped growing and you can really see the decline.

All of the core metro counties are still growing a lot.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
All of the core metro counties are still growing a lot.
I reckon that depends. Cobb and Dekalb were growing like Rust Belt areas. Lumpkin County was the fastest in the state I believe per capita around 4%.

Bodes ill for Cobb and Dekalb. Atlanta isn't Texas. But there is an Atlanta in Texas, in case you were wondering and yes people from GA did settle that area.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:36 PM

1,415 posts, read 4,265,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietridr View Post
I reckon that depends. Cobb and Dekalb were growing like Rust Belt areas. Lumpkin County was the fastest in the state I believe per capita around 4%.

Bodes ill for Cobb and Dekalb. Atlanta isn't Texas. But there is an Atlanta in Texas, in case you were wondering and yes people from GA did settle that area.
Yep, Atlanta Texas is right down the road from Smyrna, Marietta and Dalton Texas!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:00 PM

13,082 posts, read 21,275,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
You are damn right! I'dprobably choose a townhouse to live in anyway. As someone who is single, I treasure enjoying my life, networking/socializing over yard work. The yard I work on right now is lready too much. It never stops the work!
No. Not acceptable. Definitely not East Cobb quality and class.

One Yard of the Month win gets you into the club.

At least two Yard of the Month wins ensures legacy status.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

5,677 posts, read 5,081,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Tbh, I was surprised to see so many choose Cobb over Gwinnett after the posts I've seen.
I was not and am not surprised that more people chose Cobb over Gwinnett.

That's because, like I had mentioned before, Cobb just seems to have more major points-of-interest and attractions than Gwinnett.

Cobb has such major attractions and points-of-interests as Major League Baseball at SunTrust Park and the adjoining mixed-use development at "The Battery," Kennesaw Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, Kennesaw State University, Six Flags Over Georgia, Six Flags White Water, the Chattahoochee River Recreational Area, and multiple low mountain/high foothill peaks that help enhance the county's topography and natural scenery.

Cobb also has noticeably more prestige than Gwinnett with its extensive history as the site of many major Civil War battles and events, its earlier development as a suburb of Atlanta (Cobb's very heavy development as a bedroom community of Atlanta began about at least 20-25 years earlier than Gwinnett), and its closer proximity to the City of Atlanta and other closer-in major employment clusters/high-rise business districts on the Northside (like Perimeter Center, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown and Cobb's own high-rise business district at Cumberland/Vinings).

Gwinnett meanwhile has some majorly positive characteristics of its own, most notably in the form of an excellent county-wide local/neighborhood park system, a dominant high school/college prep sports scene, and an ultra-diverse population that is amongst the most diverse of any suburban/urban county in the nation.

Though overall, Gwinnett is much more purely residential and business development than Cobb which has more major attractions and points-of-interest.

Both Cobb and Gwinnett are OTP suburban political and economic powerhouses, and are great bedroom communities with a high quality-of-life that are great places to raise a family.

But Cobb seems to have a little bit more physically that noticeably stands out about it in people's minds than Gwinnett.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,061,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I was not and am not surprised that more people chose Cobb over Gwinnett.

That's because, like I had mentioned before, Cobb just seems to have more major points-of-interest and attractions than Gwinnett.

Cobb has such major attractions and points-of-interests as Major League Baseball at SunTrust Park and the adjoining mixed-use development at "The Battery," Kennesaw Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, Kennesaw State University, Six Flags Over Georgia, Six Flags White Water, the Chattahoochee River Recreational Area, and multiple low mountain/high foothill peaks that help enhance the county's topography and natural scenery.

Cobb also has noticeably more prestige than Gwinnett with its extensive history as the site of many major Civil War battles and events, its earlier development as a suburb of Atlanta (Cobb's very heavy development as a bedroom community of Atlanta began about at least 20-25 years earlier than Gwinnett), and its closer proximity to the City of Atlanta and other closer-in major employment clusters/high-rise business districts on the Northside (like Perimeter Center, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown and Cobb's own high-rise business district at Cumberland/Vinings).

Gwinnett meanwhile has some majorly positive characteristics of its own, most notably in the form of an excellent county-wide local/neighborhood park system, a dominant high school/college prep sports scene, and an ultra-diverse population that is amongst the most diverse of any suburban/urban county in the nation.

Though overall, Gwinnett is much more purely residential and business development than Cobb which has more major attractions and points-of-interest.

Both Cobb and Gwinnett are OTP suburban political and economic powerhouses, and are great bedroom communities with a high quality-of-life that are great places to raise a family.

But Cobb seems to have a little bit more physically that noticeably stands out about it in people's minds than Gwinnett.
And then also Downtown Marietta is a notable factor, which rivals Downtown Decatur as a hip, urban place and popular attraction/destination. It may not quite be Decatur, but it's at least bigger and better than any of the other historic downtowns in the entire metro.

Heck, I prefer visiting there over Downtown Atlanta, which I'm about equidistant to either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or