Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 21,451 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating from D.C. to Decatur; we both work and we have a two-year-old. Here in D.C. the demand for childcare is so insane that you literally need to get on waiting lists as soon as you know you're pregnant, and even then you're lucky if you get a slot when your kid turns one-and-a-half (as happened to us). If we are hoping to move to Decatur by Sept. 1, could someone tell me what steps I would need to take now to secure child care for my son? Google searches on "child care decatur" haven't been too helpful. Thanks sooooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Well, it's been a while since I had to worry about daycare, but since Emory University is probably one of the largest employers of Decatur residents, I might go to their website and see if they have any recommendations.
'Decatur' actually covers a lot of area...what zip code will you be living in?
In 30030, First Baptist Church of Decatur has a good program:
First Baptist Decatur
In 30033, Oak Grove United Methodist Church's day care has a good rep (although it's rare that an inquiry doesn't get waitlisted):
Oak Grove UMC

Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM

242 posts, read 841,967 times
http://www.lapetite.com/public/index.jsp (broken link)

Look into La petite I have not dealt with them but will look into them when we move in a couple of weeks. They sound and look pretty good. Maybe others have experiences to share.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
Childcare in-town Atlanta is very much like you say it is in D.C. Below is a list of recs I pulled together for a pregnant friend. All are in the Decatur area or downtown Atlanta. Also, the state actually has a surprisingly good website with early childhood education resources: Bright from the Start - Home At the bottom of the page under parent resources they post all of the licensing reports on centers. That can tell you a lot! Also you can go to the National Association of Educators of Young Children website to search for centers with their accredidation: Search for an NAEYC-Accredited Program. Accreditation. National Association for the Education of Young Children NAEYC has more stringent standards than the state.

1. Phoenix School (http://www.thephoenixschool.com/): (broken link) Crazy long wait list, but great school.

2. Central Presbyterian Childcare Center(http://www.central-presbyterian.org/living_the_faith/child_development_center.html): (broken link) Downtown. Neighbor I know well has been very happy with it. Two kids there for a four years now.

3. The Frazer Center (website doesn't seem to be up, phone number 404-377-3836): On Ponce right before you reach Decatur. Don't know anyone with children there, but have a friend who used to work there. Aim is to serve children with disabilities and children without, so very interesting setup.

4. The Canterbury School (http://www.canterburyschool.us/): (broken link) Downtown. Have a friend whose children go there and who went there when she was a child!

5. Druid Hills Presbyterian Child Development Center (http://www.dhcdc.com/): (broken link) Corner of Ponce and Highland. A friend from my prenatal/post-partum yoga class sent her baby there and was very happy with it.

6. Easter Seals Child Development Center in the Federal Center building downtown (404-562-0158): Know nothing about it other than someone I know recommended it to someone else I know.

7. Sheltering Arms, East Lake (http://www.shelteringarmsforkids.com/): (broken link) I offer this with some hesitation. Someone in our neighborhood parent's network took her child out of this center because of an injury. But it has a good reputation in the state and it is convenient to Decatur. Research it and make your own decision.

8. First School at First Baptist Decatur (First Baptist Decatur (http://www.fbcdecatur.com/templates/cusfbcdecaturga_childrensministry/details.asp?id=23742&PID=87768): - broken link) I know nothing about it except that it was recommended by someone in my neighborhood parent's network.

9. College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center (College Heights ECLC)
This is run by the City of Decatur and only open to Decatur residents. They may tell you that you can get on the waitlist if you do not live in the city; but city residents get priority, so space never opens up for non-residents. I offer this suggestion with some hesitation as well. It is a beautiful facility, but another friend took her child out because of serious issues with two different teachers. It had only been open a year at the time, so maybe it has worked the kinks out by now.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
I think College Heights is much better now. In their first year they had a bad teacher or two, but they are long gone now. Two of my neighbors have children there and are very happy with it. My son will also attend (PreK) there next year.

The problem is that their waitlist is insane. Same with the Phoenix School which also gets high marks from parents I know. 1st Baptist and Frazer also seem to have a good program - not sure how bad their waitlists are though.

Also check out these providers. All of them have received high reviews from friends/relatives of mine...

Children's Center at All Saints - at an Episcopal church in midtown
(404) 881-3790

Montessori School at Emory (ages 1.5 and up) (404)634-5777 - close to Decatur near the intersection of N. Decatur and DeKalb Industrial - they just moved to this new facility.

Decatur Montessori (404) 370-0620 - Also just outside of Decatur on Church Street. My neighbors kids went there and they were very happy with it - their kids are super smart too!

Arbor Montessori 404-321-9304 - A little further away and your child has to be at least 2.5 and potty trained to attend. They are also pretty competitive - they will actually interview your 2-year-old to determine if she is a good fit.

Inman Park Cooperative Preschool and Grant Park Cooperative Preschool also have aftercare. However, they only run from 9-5 and you have to volunteer to help in the classroom about once a month. They are both very, very good though.

Have you considered getting a nanny share arrangement? A lot of folks around here do that and it ends up being just a little more than daycare. I can give you the links to some of the Decatur neighborhood Yahoo boards so you could post your interest in such an arrangement if you wish. Just let me know.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 16,831 times
Default Day care/nanny

Thanks for all the information! We're expecting in September and will probably want a part-time nanny at first, and day care later. So I'd be glad to hear about "nanny share" possibilities. Also, are there nanny services around? Or how does one find and "check out" a nanny? Thanks for any help...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
There is a website a friend recommended for nanny referrals, but don't know much more about it: A Friend of the Family ::: Childcare & Eldercare Referrals I also know people who have found nannies via Craig's List (I don't know if I would be comfortable going that route, but I know people who have succesfully). Probably the very best way to nanny share is to get in the parent network in the neighborhood you move to. I know in my neighborhood (Kirkwood, very near downtown Decatur) we have two active on-line and real-time parent networks (one for babies/toddlers and one for preschoolers). People regularly arrange nanny share through those. Most neighborhoods in Atlanta (we are a city of little neighborhoods) have such a network. You can probably find out about how to get in contact with one through your realtor or this webpage.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 16,716 times
Default Nanny share info needed!

We'd be grateful if you'd share information about nanny sharing with us. We have a 21 month old son and will be relocating to Atlanta from Chicago in a month!

I'll be working at Emory and we already looked into their childcare center. As many of you have mentioned, the waiting lists are insance. (Here in Chicago, we've been on the list at Loyola University, where I'm a professor, for a year!) We have a great nannyshare situation here and would love to do the same in Atlanta.

Since I'm working at Emory, we'll rent nearby until we can get our bearings and choose a place to buy in the fall. Please contact us ASAP--with information, or if you're a family looking to share. We'll be in Atlanta next week for a visit and home-finding, childcare-finding mission!

Many, many thanks!
Lin

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Lin,

You might want to look into DHUMP http://www.dhump.org/Admissions.htm

I am not a religious person by any means and am usually leary of preschools and daycares run by churches but a lot of my neighbors were very happy with this program.

It would be convenient to anyone who lived south of Emory's campus and towards Decatur.

Welcome to the Emory family and to Atlanta! Where will you be living?

I know you prefer nannies but some center-based child care is quite good and softer on the budget.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 22,532 times
Default Amazing New Child care center in Atlanta

Please check out [url=http://www.fio360.com]FIO360 | Atlanta Child Care, Eco Early Care & Learning Boutique[/url]
Located in midtown Atlanta - high quality child care facility and early learning program. Only open 2 months - no waiting list yet! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta