U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 PM

23,055 posts, read 35,012,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You mean now I'm going to have to wander through a mall with the unwashed masses any time I desire an $1150 flesh colored onesie?

Unacceptable!!!!!

https://www.tomford.com/viscose-body...SABEgLcnPD_BwE
That looks familiar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 PM

700 posts, read 1,067,517 times
Default Tom Ford leaving Shops at Buckhead

So, just as the title says....Tom Ford is leaving. The store is moving into the old Giorgio Armani location in Phipps. I`m saddened by this news but I cant help but say “I knew it”. I`m just so tired of this city aspiring to build what other cities have. They build these developments and they fail, then they have to spend millions on research and redevelopment to rebrand the freakin thing..... Aside from that, the CEO and developer, Oliver Mc Million is trying to sell the entire thing, and they are spending so much resources to attract “Upper level mid scale luxury”....Whatever that means, I guess they don’t want Topshop but they know they cant get the traffic they need with a D&G or Chanel like River Oaks District... Anywho, anybody else annoyed that this development is already beginning its transition to become more “affordable”? I`m glad Tom Ford knows they can make more money, perhaps in a different location but it makes me wonder about some of the other brands such a Etro, that I heard have been struggling since day 1.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,666,729 times
Tom Ford relocating to Phipps

Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,528,876 times
I said when it was announced that I didn't think the few people here that have money like that would be able to support that place. The few times i've been to shake shack that place has been like a ghost town outside of the restaurants.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 AM

8,311 posts, read 10,260,630 times
Quote:
I personally don't think many of those stores will survive in Atlanta.

PREDICTION: By 2019, Buckhead Atlanta will feature a few better than average stores, but also utilitarian stores like a CVS and a Chick-fil-A.
So Exactly What is Going to Be At Buckhead Atlanta?

I guess I was off by a little bit in terms of timing, but I wonder if my prediction will come true.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM

29,359 posts, read 26,306,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So Exactly What is Going to Be At Buckhead Atlanta?

I guess I was off by a little bit in terms of timing, but I wonder if my prediction will come true.
Sam Massell and the Buckhead Coalition have been pushing for more "regular" retail for years. With all the massive new residential development up in the Village, more drugstores would be great. This area has the potential to be the most walkable part of the city, but it will require plenty of places for folks to accomplish their everyday errands.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:15 PM

23,055 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sam Massell and the Buckhead Coalition have been pushing for more "regular" retail for years. With all the massive new residential development up in the Village, more drugstores would be great. This area has the potential to be the most walkable part of the city, but it will require plenty of places for folks to accomplish their everyday errands.
Exactly. There are plenty of established commercial districts like Highland Park Village (Dallas), Mizner Plaza (Boca Raton), English Village (Birmingham) and Park Avenue (Orlando) that combine high-end retail with stores of a more prosaic nature (grocery, drug, etc). I'd actually prefer this, as it would give it more of a 'town center' type of feel.
Frankly, I'd love to see Publix and B&N lured away from The Peach to the other side of Peachtree. The Peach is so dated to me, especially considering its location.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM

932 posts, read 929,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I said when it was announced that I didn't think the few people here that have money like that would be able to support that place. The few times i've been to shake shack that place has been like a ghost town outside of the restaurants.
Yeah, but looks can be deceiving. If you only have 5 folks walk into your store all day long and they each spend $5,000, you’re good. If you have 12 folks walk into your store and each spends $2,000; you’re good. Christian Dior doesn’t operate under the same circumstances that J. Crew does. And because of the types of stores there you are ONLY going to pull folks in that can afford it and are ready to buy. It’s a small market.

I’m not surprised that Tom Ford left for Phipps though. It’s smart. More foot traffic, which means more chances to catch a random shopper. And I agree with those that have and are saying that SOB/BA/BV (whatever it is that you call it) needs to add variety. I’ve only driven through there once, maybe twice. But I’m not on Hermès’ clientele list, either.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:08 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,528,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Yeah, but looks can be deceiving. If you only have 5 folks walk into your store all day long and they each spend $5,000, you’re good. If you have 12 folks walk into your store and each spends $2,000; you’re good. Christian Dior doesn’t operate under the same circumstances that J. Crew does. And because of the types of stores there you are ONLY going to pull folks in that can afford it and are ready to buy. It’s a small market.

I’m not surprised that Tom Ford left for Phipps though. It’s smart. More foot traffic, which means more chances to catch a random shopper. And I agree with those that have and are saying that SOB/BA/BV (whatever it is that you call it) needs to add variety. I’ve only driven through there once, maybe twice. But I’m not on Hermès’ clientele list, either.

Yea except it's been noted more than once that many of those stores are struggling, not thriving off of a customer or two per day. That place has struggled since it opened.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM

13,572 posts, read 22,022,427 times
Call it Buckhead Village.

And make it a true well-mixed, yet high-end, retail village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or