U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 PM
 
29,345 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Reputation: 10262

Advertisements

Tomorrow's News Today is reporting that Tom Ford is leaving its boutique at Peachtree and Buckhead Avenue and relocating to Phipps Plaza.

Makes you wonder if the mall environment is stronger for high end retail than street front stores. I assume a a significant percentage of people who shop there are out of towners, and some may prefer the free parking and controlled climate of a mall.

https://www.tonetoatl.com/2019/01/To...BLxJjBdVI#more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM
 
3,554 posts, read 1,187,224 times
Reputation: 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Tomorrow's News Today is reporting that Tom Ford is leaving its boutique at Peachtree and Buckhead Avenue and relocating to Phipps Plaza.

Makes you wonder if the mall environment is stronger for high end retail than street front stores. I assume a a significant percentage of people who shop there are out of towners, and some may prefer the free parking and controlled climate of a mall.

https://www.tonetoatl.com/2019/01/To...BLxJjBdVI#more
I imagine the rent is relatively cheaper.

Plus, they're closer to their customer base (not just out of towners, but the wealthy residents in Buckhead).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I imagine the rent is relatively cheaper.

Plus, they're closer to their customer base (not just out of towners, but the wealthy residents in Buckhead).
The Buckhead Atlanta location would actually be closer to the serious wealth in Buckhead.
I think that BA simply doesn't yet have enough synergy to support a high-end boutique retailer like Tom Ford.
What it really needs is an anchor; something high-profile and of a larger scale that will bring people in, and something onto which smaller retailers can piggyback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM
 
29,345 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Reputation: 10262
I'd be very surprised if many people who live in Buckhead shop at stores like Tom Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 PM
 
3,171 posts, read 1,665,407 times
Reputation: 8708
OK I’m just going to own up:

I have no idea who or what Tom Ford is. :-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:46 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,062,115 times
Reputation: 7906
Two questions:

1. Who?

2. Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM
 
22 posts, read 11,758 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
What it really needs is an anchor; something high-profile and of a larger scale that will bring people in, and something onto which smaller retailers can piggyback.
True, like a Barneys or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd be very surprised if many people who live in Buckhead shop at stores like Tom Ford.

Why? For years they have managed to support Versace, Armani, Burberry, Cartier, Carolina Herrera, Diane Von Furstenberg, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Henri Bendel, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Prada, Hugo Boss, Christian Dior, Gucci and Tory Burch. Why not Tom Ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 03:56 PM
 
29,345 posts, read 26,300,848 times
Reputation: 10262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Why? For years they have managed to support Versace, Armani, Burberry, Cartier, Carolina Herrera, Diane Von Furstenberg, Ermenegildo Zegna, Fendi, Henri Bendel, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Prada, Hugo Boss, Christian Dior, Gucci and Tory Burch. Why not Tom Ford?
Not just Tom Ford. I doubt that many of these ultra high end retailers get their primary support from locals. (Jewelers may get a good bit of local business).

I'm not saying that some local folks don't shop there. I'm sure they do. But I'd wager that the bulk of their business is regional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
ok iím just going to own up:

I have no idea who or what tom ford is. :-0
this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
two questions:

1. Who?

2. Who cares?
and also this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top