U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM

5,527 posts, read 2,860,540 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

5,065 posts, read 4,107,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I was actually thinking about the notion of running trains properly because it is extremely frustrating when there's a huge crowd of people who need to go in one direction and they are standing around waiting while multiple trains going in the direction nobody seems to need pass by. I have no solution for this because for the Super Bowl, people will be coming and going from all directions. So imagine you are at 5 points and you need to go north. You may see trains heading south that look useless, but those trains were probably useful upstream when they were bringing people from up north into town. The train will continue to the airport, so it will necessarily have to travel when few people are riding it. I'm not sure how MARTA can figure out exactly where people will be coming and going from, but to say they must have access to some data that could help advise this to at least some degree. I hope they use it because people trying to get to and from the stadium will certainly be frustrated if they see a bunch of empty trains go by as they are forced to wait.
A few years ago there was a Beyonce/JayZ concert in the Georgia Dome. MARTA was running about a train every other minute on the Blue Line. At Five Points they used the Spanish solution to keep exiting passengers from getting overrun.

Trains were logjammed heading towards the Dome station but they did make it through.

Quote:
I am not personally an extensive traveler, though I have used mass transit in other U.S. cities, in Europe, Asia and Australia. However, I am lucky to work for an international company and work with many people who do travel extensively and have lived in other countries. This is the number one complaint I hear about MARTA:

"I have ridden mass transit all over the world, and MARTA riders are by far the rudest I have ever encountered."

It's true that MARTA seems to have many riders who engage in loud, profanity laden conversations with each other, sing along to music they are listening to in headphones, play music on their phone speakers, or engage in other behaviors that can range from discourteous to purposely disrespectful. I'm not sure what we can do about that, it seems to just be the culture of Atlanta. I hope residents behave when we are on the world stage.

To segue into my next point, I'm not morally opposed to profanity. I use it and I don't believe it is a sign of lack of intelligence by itself. However, I don't use it loudly just for the sake of offending others. I understand most people doing this are young, and bucking authority is part of growing up. I wish more people wouldn't be afraid to correct these young people when they see it happening, but I also understand the fear factor. My next point is I'm a Howard Stern fan, so obviously not a prude when it comes to frank language.

Anyone who listens to Howard, or any other program that originates from New York, will occasionally hear discussions of the subway as it is an inherent part of life in that city. They frequently complain about service the same way we do. Delays from single tracking, hot trains, rude people, etc. That seems to be a fact of life when you are using mass transit almost everywhere. Ok, maybe not Tokyo, but just about everywhere else.

Still, the common notion seems to be that MARTA riders display the worst behavior of any riders in the world.
MARTA riders can be chatty. Get on the Boston T or the London Underground and you typically won't hear a peep. Unfortunately some chatty people can be rude with their conversations.

Quote:
And just one final point/question: I was surprised to hear about single tracking around Lindbergh. I remember when single tracking here happened all the time because they were constructing the new Lindbergh development. That was 10 years ago, why would there still be single tracking in this area? I do remember one time riding a packed train here, and on the overpass, you could really feel the train lean to one side. It was scary, I thought it might tumble off the track.
I remember the side-to-side shaking on the northbound approach to Lindbergh.

Whatever repairs they've done seem to have fixed those.

Quote:
In closing, when the Super Bowl is here, I hope MARTA will run trains efficiently, riders will behave, and there shouldn't be any single tracking anywhere. People do love to hate on Atlanta, so let's not give them anything legitimate to go home and complain about. We have a bit of a rough history with the Olympic Park bombing, rain leaving tens of thousands of people stranded at Tomorrowworld, and major MARTA hiccups during big football games. I'd really hate to add yet another reason one could legitimately make the argument that Atlanta is backward and not a good city for hosting massive events. We have plenty of great success stories, so hopefully we will see another!
Let us hope!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM

22,648 posts, read 16,689,421 times
As of yesterday evening, both railcars back on track

Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM

752 posts, read 356,170 times
Still shuttling to the airport at 6 this morning. Got off at college park and another train came on the northbound track to take us to the airport.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 AM
JPD

12,105 posts, read 14,721,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Still shuttling to the airport at 6 this morning. Got off at college park and another train came on the northbound track to take us to the airport.
The track itself is probably f-ed up, and it isn't just a matter of getting a train car out of the way.

Old Today, 07:20 AM

2,420 posts, read 1,166,637 times
People say New Yorkers are so rude but when I was up there recently, someone was kind enough to go out of her way to tap me on the shoulder and let me know there is a space next to her where I could stand as the train was jerking like crazy and I had nothing to hold onto. I would never expect such generosity on Marta. Most of the train riders were reading, listening to music with ear/headphones, etc. Total opposite on Marta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I was actually thinking about the notion of running trains properly because it is extremely frustrating when there's a huge crowd of people who need to go in one direction and they are standing around waiting while multiple trains going in the direction nobody seems to need pass by. I have no solution for this because for the Super Bowl, people will be coming and going from all directions. So imagine you are at 5 points and you need to go north. You may see trains heading south that look useless, but those trains were probably useful upstream when they were bringing people from up north into town. The train will continue to the airport, so it will necessarily have to travel when few people are riding it. I'm not sure how MARTA can figure out exactly where people will be coming and going from, but to say they must have access to some data that could help advise this to at least some degree. I hope they use it because people trying to get to and from the stadium will certainly be frustrated if they see a bunch of empty trains go by as they are forced to wait.

I am not personally an extensive traveler, though I have used mass transit in other U.S. cities, in Europe, Asia and Australia. However, I am lucky to work for an international company and work with many people who do travel extensively and have lived in other countries. This is the number one complaint I hear about MARTA:

"I have ridden mass transit all over the world, and MARTA riders are by far the rudest I have ever encountered."

It's true that MARTA seems to have many riders who engage in loud, profanity laden conversations with each other, sing along to music they are listening to in headphones, play music on their phone speakers, or engage in other behaviors that can range from discourteous to purposely disrespectful. I'm not sure what we can do about that, it seems to just be the culture of Atlanta. I hope residents behave when we are on the world stage.

To segue into my next point, I'm not morally opposed to profanity. I use it and I don't believe it is a sign of lack of intelligence by itself. However, I don't use it loudly just for the sake of offending others. I understand most people doing this are young, and bucking authority is part of growing up. I wish more people wouldn't be afraid to correct these young people when they see it happening, but I also understand the fear factor. My next point is I'm a Howard Stern fan, so obviously not a prude when it comes to frank language.

Anyone who listens to Howard, or any other program that originates from New York, will occasionally hear discussions of the subway as it is an inherent part of life in that city. They frequently complain about service the same way we do. Delays from single tracking, hot trains, rude people, etc. That seems to be a fact of life when you are using mass transit almost everywhere. Ok, maybe not Tokyo, but just about everywhere else.

Still, the common notion seems to be that MARTA riders display the worst behavior of any riders in the world.

And just one final point/question: I was surprised to hear about single tracking around Lindbergh. I remember when single tracking here happened all the time because they were constructing the new Lindbergh development. That was 10 years ago, why would there still be single tracking in this area? I do remember one time riding a packed train here, and on the overpass, you could really feel the train lean to one side. It was scary, I thought it might tumble off the track.

In closing, when the Super Bowl is here, I hope MARTA will run trains efficiently, riders will behave, and there shouldn't be any single tracking anywhere. People do love to hate on Atlanta, so let's not give them anything legitimate to go home and complain about. We have a bit of a rough history with the Olympic Park bombing, rain leaving tens of thousands of people stranded at Tomorrowworld, and major MARTA hiccups during big football games. I'd really hate to add yet another reason one could legitimately make the argument that Atlanta is backward and not a good city for hosting massive events. We have plenty of great success stories, so hopefully we will see another!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta