U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

7,902 posts, read 9,780,715 times

Advertisements

Where is it?

The only subdivision I know of that fits that description is Ammersee Lakes. But a $1.2 million home there would be quite out of place. Zillow gives most of them values in the $500k range with a few outliers a bit north of that, but not that far.

Where else in Johns Creek has lakefront living with trails to the river?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

9,714 posts, read 8,877,910 times
If you can afford it and still save for your comfortable retirement, then it may likely be worth the investment.

Old Today, 07:12 AM

5,023 posts, read 2,845,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
An American family needs an income of $420k to be in the top 1%, and about $220k to be in the top 5%. A minimum of $300k household income is needed to afford a $1 million comfortably, so these $1 million houses are definitely more for the 1% than for the 5%. People tend to underestimate the huge wealth disparity in the U.S. The ones owning yachts and private planes are not the 1%, they are the 1% WITHIN the top 1%, or the .01%.

To the OP, the high-end housing market in the northern suburbs has slowed down considerably in the past 6 months, and I have seen significant price drops on some $1 million+ listings. For $1 million you should be getting 8000-10000 sqft of finished space with 3-car garage in Johns Creek. You will almost certainly find better value buying resale, if you are patient and willing to make some small compromises. We were in the market for 10 months before we closed on our home in Johns Creek last October. We are very picky as well (2-story foyer plus 2-story great room, finished basement, larger lot, large master, open floor plan with L-kitchen), but at the end we found a home that checked all the boxes at 20% below our max budget.
Sure, but you’re using the US Average. Not sure if that’s typical for the area. Nonetheless, I agree with you about there being more “value” in a resale.

I recently bought a custom-built ~15 year old resale home, around 6000 sq ft plus a large finished basement (with many amenities and built-ins) for a fair bit less than nearby new construction for 5000 sq ft with an unfinished basement. I then invested around $50K in a new roof, new appliances and new paint. My roof and appliances are higher end than new construction, and I know that the home I purchased is very well constructed, not something you can say about some of the new builds going on (some going in the $700k+ range are downright shoddy).

Also, there seems to be a trend towards way too much shiplap and barn doors, etc. in the more expensive builds. The Chip and Joanna Gaines look went out of style about a year or so ago, so you risk buying a home that in five years will look dated. Of course the same applies to a 20 year old house with brass bathroom fixtures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or