U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,174,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
MARTA rail has been atrocious lately. I've personally experienced delays downtown heading northbound that range from about 5-7 minutes, but co-workers have told me it's significantly worse at the OTP stations (this seems confirmed by reddit reports). They've said there have been 15-30 minute delays, with multiple trains heading northbound but none heading southbound. Considering the trains should be about 10 minutes apart, which is already a long time to wait, it's completely unacceptable for delays of that magnitude. Last weekend, I experienced similar delays at Peachtree Center heading southbound.

I'm a frequent MARTA user and a big supporter of this system - very rarely have I had issues. But over the past 2 weeks, it's been particularly bad, and causing a lot of people to be late to work. Does anybody know if there has been something going on to cause these delays? I don't know what is going wrong with the system lately, but they better get it taken care of before next week.

That's a good question. From I started using it a few weeks ago, there seems to be a delay every day (yesterday it was the East line). I haven't personally have had to wait long though but I do wonder with only 5 lines what could be causing them to have such frequent delays.

On a positive note, I don't remember when last I saw a delay on Southbound trains.

They are considering increasing the frequency of the trains? I'm not sure if they are even in the position to do this right now. I think MARTA should focus on hiring people to fix whatever needs fixing because it's not normal to have daily delays. Also, they could replace their machines. These things would help a lot. I know...replace their machines...expensive. Well they are hiring how many guides and for what reason?! LOL. Some of the reason it takes so long to get a breeze card/reload is because the machines are faulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM

32 posts, read 9,527 times
Agreed that service has been exceptionally poor as of late. Rush hour delays every single day. I'm also a daily rider and a big supporter of the system, but it's getting more difficult for me to advocate for the system when service is so poor.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 AM
JPD

12,144 posts, read 14,733,321 times
I saw a Marta cop tell someone on the platform to put their cigarette out. I had never seen that before. I'd love it if this was enforced long-term.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,188,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
A train derailed last week near the airport, and that caused problems for three days. There were also a bunch of unspecified mechanical difficulties in the last few weeks. It HAS been particularly bad recently. I watched six trains go by heading south while waiting for a northbound train at East Point recently. I don't know how that's even possible, or where all these southbound trains go if none are moving north. Being that close to the end of the line, there must have be a massive pileup of trains going nowhere in a situation like that.
I knew the train derailed and was expecting some delays during that time, but those delays should be long gone by now. One of the 20 minute delays I was talking about was this morning for a colleague going southbound from Doraville. She said multiple trains passed heading northbound, but none came back south. Really strange. MARTA admins must know that service has gotten increasingly unreliable over the past 2-3 weeks, all while touting how great it will be for the Superbowl.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 AM
JPD

12,144 posts, read 14,733,321 times
Quote:
I knew the train derailed and was expecting some delays during that time, but those delays should be long gone by now. One of the 20 minute delays I was talking about was this morning for a colleague going southbound from Doraville. She said multiple trains passed heading northbound, but none came back south. Really strange. MARTA admins must know that service has gotten increasingly unreliable over the past 2-3 weeks, all while touting how great it will be for the Superbowl.
Yes, I know and agree. I experienced a 25 minute delay at Peachtree Center on Tuesday at 5:00, and I watched six trains go by heading south while waiting on the first northbound train to arrive last week (or maybe the week before...this was a few days before the derailment, and no explanation was offered).

I don't think Marta is up to the task of handling the Super Bowl, and it worries me. Lately, they can barely handle a normal day in Atlanta. They tried to make Peachtree Center look shiny by buffing the floors earlier this week, but even that has been delayed and is half finished.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,709,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
It would be nice for people not to have to tap to get out. I wish they would continue this after the Superbowl. It feels so weird having to tap to exit.
I was in Los Angeles early December, with no events going on. You just walked out, no need to tap.

It was confusing, because the signs and stuff insisted on tapping, but someone told me to just walk out.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 AM

22,691 posts, read 16,711,706 times
Quote:
MARTA rail has been atrocious lately. I've personally experienced delays downtown heading northbound that range from about 5-7 minutes, but co-workers have told me it's significantly worse at the OTP stations (this seems confirmed by reddit reports). They've said there have been 15-30 minute delays, with multiple trains heading northbound but none heading southbound. Considering the trains should be about 10 minutes apart, which is already a long time to wait, it's completely unacceptable for delays of that magnitude. Last weekend, I experienced similar delays at Peachtree Center heading southbound.

I'm a frequent MARTA user and a big supporter of this system - very rarely have I had issues. But over the past 2 weeks, it's been particularly bad, and causing a lot of people to be late to work. Does anybody know if there has been something going on to cause these delays? I don't know what is going wrong with the system lately, but they better get it taken care of before next week.
Issues of seeing multiple trains go in 1 direction while waiting from train in the opposite is from delays on the opposite line; eg: 4 trains pass NB, while waiting for 1 train to go SB. Cause was a delay NB that caused trains to bunch whcih then will ripple to delays going SB as operators have to switch cabs and use the restrooms.
I do believe much of the issue on N/S is due to the switch at Airport, where SB trains would alternative coming into station, making NB trains leaving easier. If there is only 1 platform available because of a damaged switch then SB trains have to wait for the NB train to depart before pulling into that station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
It would be nice for people not to have to tap to get out. I wish they would continue this after the Superbowl. It feels so weird having to tap to exit.
Tapping loads the transfer onto the card also how MARTA can track passenger movements throughout the system.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM

4,589 posts, read 3,643,788 times
I tried Marta for the first and last time. Not a positive experience
Confusing ticket systems,multiple machines would not take credit card, some ran out of tickets to issue.
No restrooms, freezing my butt off waiting for trains. Being told to get off the train and switch because mine was going out of service 2x. Watching 4 east trains go by and finally a west bound one showing up.
Panhandlers galore on the trains.
My destination was 36 minutes by car. It was 28 minutes just to get to Marta. Then with all the hassles and delays I would have been way ahead just driving.
Well, I gave public transportation a shot and learned a lesson.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,570,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I tried Marta for the first and last time. Not a positive experience
Confusing ticket systems,multiple machines would not take credit card, some ran out of tickets to issue.
No restrooms, freezing my butt off waiting for trains. Being told to get off the train and switch because mine was going out of service 2x. Watching 4 east trains go by and finally a west bound one showing up.
Panhandlers galore on the trains.
My destination was 36 minutes by car. It was 28 minutes just to get to Marta. Then with all the hassles and delays I would have been way ahead just driving.
Well, I gave public transportation a shot and learned a lesson.
Sorry you had a bad experience, but if you've never been to a restaurant in your life and you went to one and had a bad experience, should you say "Well, I gave going to a restaurant a shot and learned my lesson"? Especially if you're reading a whole bunch of long-term users say the experience has been exceptionally bad lately due to partially explained and partially unexplained reasons?

To pile on myself, yes, MARTA service has been exceptionally poor lately. But usually I can practically set my watch based on how long it takes me to get to work (using just the main N-S line).

For the OP, MARTA should simply put itself in a good state of repair and running a relatively robust schedule. I doubt there are going to be drastically heavier volumes for the Superbowl. (My running theory is that the idea that a city becomes overrun with activity for the superbowl is a bunch of smoke and mirrors put on by the NFL to justify subsidies for new stadiums; next weekend will feel like a normal weekend.)

Another thing that's ridiculous and needs to be discussed is mismanagement of the Skytrain, which runs from the airport to the Rental Car Center. You think MARTA's maintenance is bad? Their escalators go down for months at a time. There's pretty much always at least one escalator down at the airport station.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 PM

1,381 posts, read 692,567 times
How do you all think parking will be at MARTA stations. I have a rental for the weekend and plan on parking and taking MARTA into town for some events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
For the OP, MARTA should simply put itself in a good state of repair and running a relatively robust schedule. I doubt there are going to be drastically heavier volumes for the Superbowl. (My running theory is that the idea that a city becomes overrun with activity for the superbowl is a bunch of smoke and mirrors put on by the NFL to justify subsidies for new stadiums; next weekend will feel like a normal weekend.)
I partially agree with this. Although there are definitely thousands of visitors during Super Bowl week, unless you're where the main events are then you're not going to notice a difference at all. It also depends on which teams are playing. If it was the Saints instead of the Rams, I think more of Atlanta would "feel the crowd" so to speak. But I honestly feel like the SB events have been watered down in recent years. I remember bigger parties 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or