U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:02 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,849,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why did you have to buy another card? They are reloadable.
Sounds like they bought a Breeze ticket instead of Breeze card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 PM

4,602 posts, read 3,649,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Sounds like they bought a Breeze ticket instead of Breeze card.
That is correct.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 PM

5,030 posts, read 3,827,555 times
I didn't know they still sold those, but no, if you exit a station, if you reenter, you still have to pay again regardless of the media. Just because it's in the "middle" of your journey, doesn't mean anything to the system, nor should it.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 PM

4,602 posts, read 3,649,821 times
Quote:
I didn't know they still sold those, but no, if you exit a station, if you reenter, you still have to pay again regardless of the media. Just because it's in the "middle" of your journey, doesn't mean anything to the system, nor should it.
I thought I read something about 4 exits and entries along the route?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 29,622 times
MARTA could solve all this tap-outs and reentries and all that by saying a fare is good for 2 hours of riding. Period. Any mode, and number of transfers. Then there is no need to ever tap out. And if you go over two hours, you pay again.

Yes, I know it's a different model from the existing one, but it is so much simpler.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM

I am failing to see the problem here. You pay to enter the system, when you tap-out, it loads a transfer which is good only for another mode, not for reentry. And transfers are good for a certain period of time, and a certain, limited number of transfers. Rail transfers are all done within the paid zone so no need to worry about the cards for rail to rail transfers.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:33 PM

386 posts, read 175,305 times
Quote:
I am failing to see the problem here. You pay to enter the system, when you tap-out, it loads a transfer which is good only for another mode, not for reentry. And transfers are good for a certain period of time, and a certain, limited number of transfers. Rail transfers are all done within the paid zone so no need to worry about the cards for rail to rail transfers.
The problem is not all rail riders need a transfer. The justification that you need to tap to exit so that you can get a transfer is junk. Remove the lane blockers. The minority of people that need them could still tap when needed.

The real reason for tapping is because of the rifrraff hanging out around many stations. It's a control thing not a transfer thing.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Regardless, I STILL do not see any problem with it, it takes what? An extra half second to exit? The only reason other systems don't use it (like NYC) is because they're so old and large that retrofitting them would be impractical, but even with that, they're still moving in that direction.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 2,987,298 times
I'm sure a huge reason for the tap-out is data. They want to know where customers are getting on and off, how far they're going, if they transfer.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:54 PM

14 posts, read 29,622 times
Quote:
Regardless, I STILL do not see any problem with it, it takes what? An extra half second to exit? The only reason other systems don't use it (like NYC) is because they're so old and large that retrofitting them would be impractical, but even with that, they're still moving in that direction.
It takes an extra half second for locals, who know what to do. It takes a lot longer for out-of-towners who don't expect the exit gate, and upon finding it block the exit while fumbling through pockets and purses for the Breeze card. Just observe what happens at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or