U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 230 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I will be moving from NYC to ATL in a few months. We have been reading many forums, articles, asking friends/families/acquaintances, etc.

However, would love to hear from you all as well.

My husband is in the film industry and I am looking to change my career into UX research. My husband and I do have a good amount of expensive equipment for work/personal so it is important to us to be in a secure/safe area, but commute is also important. Hopefully the area we live in is an easy commute to Atlanta/midtown.

Someone told us that we can take the side interstate from Smyrna to avoid the traffic in Buckhead. Others recommend Decatur. However, some said that this is false and both will experience equal heavy traffic.

We would like to live in an area away from the city but still convenient to restaurants, grocery stores etc.

1. Budget

...$1000-1300 but willing to pay up to $1500 for a safe area.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?

....open to all

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

.... both. I would commute to midtown area. My husband works from home but will also commute to where filming will take place. Convenience to airport is a huge place since he may continue work in NYC and may fly out multiple time a month.

4. Children(public school vs. private)

....n/a

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two

....mix of two please

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?

... a plus but not a must

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood?

...would prefer a diverse group but safety is priority

We have been really looking into smyrna and vinings but completely open to other areas as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,172,333 times
I like the idea of living in Smyrna/Vinings for you. Your budget though...it would probably limit you to Smyrna and maybe only a condo (especially if you want a safer area) but there are some people who are in real estate on this forum and they will let you know whether I am right or not.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:09 PM

1,315 posts, read 681,621 times
I would also recommend the eastside of the City of Atlanta. Very easy commute to Midtown (no highway) and much less traffic than suburbs like Smyrna. Most of the neighborhoods there are very safe. Feels "away from the city" because it's mostly residential areas, and you'd be between Decatur on the East and Midtown to the West, so lots of amenities and great restaraunts/shops very close.

There are definitely rentals available in the $1500 budget. If you're looking just generally stay north of Memorial Drive and within city of Atlanta and you can't go wrong on the Eastern side.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,621,331 times
Smyrna is definitely an option and meets all the boxes that you check off. But it is an over exaggeration to say that you can avoid traffic - it has plenty of its own issues. Definitely the closer you live to the interstates the better. I can get to I-75 or I-285 within a 2-3 mile radius.

What makes Smyrna a good option for traffic is it's proximity to both of these major highways and the numerous alternative routes that exist so you minimize (but can't eliminate) the risk on those days when Atlanta has a complete traffic meltdown.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 230 times
Thank you so much!

This is all so helpful!

We will increase our budget then! After looking at zillow and talking to a friend, we thought that would be a great budget but will definitely increase!

But we will definitely stay near the interstate.

If I chose the east side, would that be convenient to other locations (such as buckhead) as well? It seems so, just not sure about traffic wise.

My husband could end up anywhere for filming so I just want to make it as convenient for him as possible.

Any areas that we should avoid?

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

1,315 posts, read 681,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naod2010 View Post
Thank you so much!

This is all so helpful!

We will increase our budget then! After looking at zillow and talking to a friend, we thought that would be a great budget but will definitely increase!

But we will definitely stay near the interstate.

If I chose the east side, would that be convenient to other locations (such as buckhead) as well? It seems so, just not sure about traffic wise.

My husband could end up anywhere for filming so I just want to make it as convenient for him as possible.

Any areas that we should avoid?
Honestly, I hate Atlanta interstates and avoid them. You end up putting more miles on your car to get to the same place, and usually not much quicker. Interstates are always either bumper to bumper traffic or moving normally with people doing 85-90mph making it unsafe. On the Eastside you can get to midtown or Buckhead on local roads.

Buckhead is a nightmare to drive to or from most of the time, no matter where you love as traffic there seems to be in constant gridlock.

I think Smyrna is a good option as well.

Old Today, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 230 times
Thank you!

Would you recommend Druid Hills, Decatur, Inman park, or simply anywhere from the East?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or