U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,709,303 times

Advertisements

I was kicked off my work from home internet around 11:10, and only just recently got my power restored. I looked at the Georgia Power outage map, and it seems like it affected not just big parts of Atlanta, but the whole state. Hope it doesn't happen again!

https://imgur.com/a/YRkDFlc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

1,358 posts, read 582,875 times
These things happen.

There was a high wind advisory yesterday, and combined with our trees and the saturated grounds, it didn't and won't take much to get power outages.

I know everyone wants visitors to see Atlanta in its Sunday best, but I think some of the reactions to these incidents with respect to Super Bowl impacts is getting to be too much.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,172,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
These things happen.

There was a high wind advisory yesterday, and combined with our trees and the saturated grounds, it didn't and won't take much to get power outages.

I know everyone wants visitors to see Atlanta in its Sunday best, but I think some of the reactions to these incidents with respect to Super Bowl impacts is getting to be too much.

Good point! Citidata18, did you feel that wind though?!!?!?! OMG it was crazy...I can see why there were many outages. Not exaggerating when I say I can't tell when last I felt winds so strong. I legit made sure to walk as far away from the roads as possible. You'd think with all the tall buildings downtown it wouldn't have been so bad but good grief lol.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
This!! Good grief people.

It's windy as heck right now, that's why there's a few sporadic power outages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
You'd think with all the tall buildings downtown it wouldn't have been so bad but good grief lol.
The buildings actually make it worse creating a canyon effect, funneling the winds down the street.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

148 posts, read 109,505 times
everyone panic.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

4,496 posts, read 2,981,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Good point! Citidata18, did you feel that wind though?!!?!?! OMG it was crazy...I can see why there were many outages. Not exaggerating when I say I can't tell when last I felt winds so strong. I legit made sure to walk as far away from the roads as possible. You'd think with all the tall buildings downtown it wouldn't have been so bad but good grief lol.
Wind doesn't just stop because there's a building there. The air is going to move through either way. With the buildings, you've just created a smaller space through which the air can move, so it becomes stronger, not weaker.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,049,971 times
Some of those outages are less than 5 or so customers. It's probably a fairly routine that the outage map looks like that even on a sunny day.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
This!! Good grief people.

It's windy as heck right now, that's why there's a few sporadic power outages.

The buildings actually make it worse creating a canyon effect, funneling the winds down the street.

Wow...I'm always learning something new on this forum! Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Wind doesn't just stop because there's a building there. The air is going to move through either way. With the buildings, you've just created a smaller space through which the air can move, so it becomes stronger, not weaker.

Wow...so crazy. I won't lie though...the wind at certain times did feel good. It was rather warm that day. Yes, it very much contributed to a nice walk.

Old Today, 06:03 AM

5,060 posts, read 2,853,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post

Anyone who spent time in NYC knows exactly what that canyon effect is! On the upper floors of some buildings you can feel the sway and hear the wind howling outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or