U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2019, 02:30 PM

92 posts, read 60,756 times

Advertisements

How is Marietta? How is the millennial population? Are there any nice bars and restaurants? What would the daily commute to Lithia Springs look like with traffic? I致e considered Smyrna and Vinings, but they seem a little more expensive than what I知 looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 02:47 PM

1,269 posts, read 549,303 times
It's been a long time since I've commuted in the western side of the metro but I 'think' you will be okay in Marietta. There are also alot of backroads you can take to Lithia Springs to avoid I-285. If you DO use the interstate during commute hours (which I highly recommend against) then I-75 South will be a parking lot. I-285 South I believe will move fairly well. I-20 West will also be fine.

The other routes to consider are Powder Springs Rd or Austell Rd.

I personally do not drink but I would say Atlanta is not lacking in bars. Their presence in Cobb County though, I'm not so sure about. I'd say you may have to go to Buckhead, or Midtown.

Restaurants are always a subjective subject and depends on what you personally like for food. But there is plenty of variety throughout the metro. Soul Food, Southern Kitchen (plenty of mom/pop restaurants with great food), BBQ. I would say those are the foods that stand out the most.

Smyrna and Vinings are gentrified areas and are not cheap places to abide.

Where are you moving from if I may ask?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 PM

92 posts, read 60,756 times
Thank you so much for this insight! I will be moving from Columbus, Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's been a long time since I've commuted in the western side of the metro but I 'think' you will be okay in Marietta. There are also alot of backroads you can take to Lithia Springs to avoid I-285. If you DO use the interstate during commute hours (which I highly recommend against) then I-75 South will be a parking lot. I-285 South I believe will move fairly well. I-20 West will also be fine.

The other routes to consider are Powder Springs Rd or Austell Rd.

I personally do not drink but I would say Atlanta is not lacking in bars. Their presence in Cobb County though, I'm not so sure about. I'd say you may have to go to Buckhead, or Midtown.

Restaurants are always a subjective subject and depends on what you personally like for food. But there is plenty of variety throughout the metro. Soul Food, Southern Kitchen (plenty of mom/pop restaurants with great food), BBQ. I would say those are the foods that stand out the most.

Smyrna and Vinings are gentrified areas and are not cheap places to abide.

Where are you moving from if I may ask?

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 14,312 times
Like the other response stated, bars/restaurants are always subjective. What might be fine dining to one person might be near fast food quality to another. However, there appears to be a distinct absence of fine dining in the Marietta area. Doesnt mean there isnt ANY. However, there seems to be quite a few highly rated moderately priced restaurants in Marietta. I'd just take a look on a restaurant review site for more info. As far as bars go I have no clue.

All things considered living in Marietta and commuting to Lithia Springs wouldnt be so bad. At rush hour right now it says it's right at 30 minutes one way from Lithia Springs to Marietta. As far as suburban commutes go, that is pretty good.

So yeah, if I had to choose I'd definitely live in Marietta over say Mableton or Douglasville. I cant speak for Lithia Springs, but I have been to Marietta, Mableton, and Douglasville and Marietta wins easily over those other two.

Also, in opposition to what the above poster said, if you live in Marietta, I would not be making road trips into Atlanta to go drinking unless you are taking Uber, which would be about 15 miles (Marietta is a pretty large area so it all depends where you live) into Buckhead and quite further to actual cool spots. So you can do the math on that. Marietta has plenty of bars I'm sure. Again, look into any online site that reviews restaurants I'm sure you'll get some answers there.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

1,269 posts, read 549,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
Like the other response stated, bars/restaurants are always subjective. What might be fine dining to one person might be near fast food quality to another. However, there appears to be a distinct absence of fine dining in the Marietta area. Doesnt mean there isnt ANY. However, there seems to be quite a few highly rated moderately priced restaurants in Marietta. I'd just take a look on a restaurant review site for more info. As far as bars go I have no clue.

All things considered living in Marietta and commuting to Lithia Springs wouldnt be so bad. At rush hour right now it says it's right at 30 minutes one way from Lithia Springs to Marietta. As far as suburban commutes go, that is pretty good.

So yeah, if I had to choose I'd definitely live in Marietta over say Mableton or Douglasville. I cant speak for Lithia Springs, but I have been to Marietta, Mableton, and Douglasville and Marietta wins easily over those other two.

Also, in opposition to what the above poster said, if you live in Marietta, I would not be making road trips into Atlanta to go drinking unless you are taking Uber, which would be about 15 miles (Marietta is a pretty large area so it all depends where you live) into Buckhead and quite further to actual cool spots. So you can do the math on that. Marietta has plenty of bars I'm sure. Again, look into any online site that reviews restaurants I'm sure you'll get some answers there.
Pastabella, Marietta Fish Market and Cherokee Cattle Company are very nice restaurants. Not the cheapest but they are pretty good and are within Marietta. I think a place called Atlanta BBQ way out east in Marietta like right before you go into Roswell is also good but not sure if they still exist. Spaghetti Warehouse also used to be a thing but sadly they closed.

As for bars, ect. I'm not fluent with the bars around Cobb County. I dont really know if they have a strong presence there.

Old Today, 06:35 AM

921 posts, read 854,329 times
Marietta is a tale of several different cities. I believe if you count the total area with a Marietta address, it's like 400K people or something like that. I live in east cobb, which is perhaps considered to be the higher end portion of the Marietta address. There are also areas of Marietta that, while not bad, look run down and blighted.

East Cobb - all very nice, good schools. Tier 1 HS districts: Pope, Lassiter, Walton, Tier 2: Wheeler, Kell, Sprayberry. Very suburban in nature, but all in all a very nice place to live.
Marietta city proper - tons of cool history and culture. Has the square, which brings with it nice restaurants, farmers markets, events, etc. Schools are mediocre. There are portions of Marietta square that to me, look very blighted, old, or generally just run down.
West Cobb - From what I gather, a very nice, more rural part of Marietta, also with good schools. Don't really hear about it much.

All in all, I think Marietta is a good place to live, with highway access via 75. The square is a nice little gem thats about to open a food hall, and has lots of good culture that comes with it. Because of the square, Marietta is one of those suburbs that sort of turns it's nose up to Atlanta and says "I don't need you, I'm my own independent city....." I say that in a good way. But there are many pockets that while probably not terrible on paper in any meaningful way, I wouldn't be proud to show off to out of towners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or