U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:11 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,691,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't want to share a lane with cyclists, as a pedestrian!
This is really why the bike path uses the street, rather than the sidewalk. Itís against the law here to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:28 AM

22,725 posts, read 16,726,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Since you put it that way....Yes. Yes, they are.

Vehicular traffic is crucial to the business of America. Next time your local restaurant gets a delivery of fresh vegetables via bicycle or a bike riding sanitation worker comes to your house to empty your garbage cans, let me know.
maybe if we had smaller trucks, we could encourage more recycling, composting, and reduce the amount of garbage produced.
COP Dr is not going to miss 1 lane from this stretch.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

7,938 posts, read 9,797,699 times
Then who is going to haul all the recycling in CQ's Magical Wonderful Mythical Fantasyland?

Old Today, 10:37 AM
bu2

9,283 posts, read 5,944,295 times
Quote:
Then take away the lane all the way to CNN Center and give it to the park.

What's the point of bringing the lane back for a couple blocks after you've already made everybody merge over?

Of course, the road is already a complete disater, anyway. It magically becomes a 2-way road for no reason at Walton St. despite the fact that Spring Street, just one block over, is more than capable of carrying traffic in that direction. But you know, I guess it's too much for this city's planners to understand traffic works better one way when funneling people to and from Philips Arena and the Benz.

It's one of those things that was working just fine, and then they completely ruined it. Ask anybody who ever travels in the area when there is an event going on. Making Centennial Olympic Park Dr. a two-way road made things intensely worse. You've got two lanes of traffic going the wrong way when NOBODY needs to go that way (and if they do, they can easily just use Spring street, one block over).

I'm sick of everybody trying to fix this city and just making it worse. If you're going to fix it, then FIX IT. Or just leave it alone. At the very least, do no harm.
I don't think this area ever worked well during events.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

Just think, this protected bike lane provides another option for visitors to sporting events to get home; safely ride a bike east or northeast of COP.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

Yeah, all those Super Bowl visitors who are going to be riding bikes around.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 1,179,507 times
Quote:
Are bicyclists so important that they can't share a path with pedestrians for one block? There's already a gigantic sidewalk there that's gotta be at least 12 feet wide.

Exactly!

Old Today, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, all those Super Bowl visitors who are going to be riding bikes around.
This is larger than SB53, COP host several concerts.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

You're right. I'm sure just TONS of people are going to be riding bikes to those concerts. Especially since it's going to be in the 20s and 30s during the night and there are oh, so many places to safely lock up a bike at COP!

Are you ever going to join us in the real world?

I mean, I get what you're saying, and it's noble, but this represents an infinitesimal percentage of traffic in the area, so it makes absolutely no sense to dedicate 20% of an existing road to it. You're creating a solution for a demand that doesn't exist. I know you're a student of induced demand, but it doesn't work like that.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You're right. I'm sure just TONS of people are going to be riding bikes to those concerts. Especially since it's going to be in the 20s and 30s during the night and there are oh, so many places to safely lock up a bike at COP!

Are you ever going to join us in the real world?

I mean, I get what you're saying, and it's noble, but this represents an infinitesimal percentage of traffic in the area, so it makes absolutely no sense to dedicate 20% of an existing road to it. You're creating a solution for a demand that doesn't exist. I know you're a student of induced demand, but it doesn't work like that.
Go back and reread my comment. COP host concerts outside of SB53 events. When Sweetwater 420 fest, Shaky Knees, etc. you don't expect people to ride scooters or bikes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or