Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,005,746 times

Advertisements

Scooters, maybe. But they can ride on sidewalks. I don't expect a significant number of bikes.

And even if there were a significant number of bikes, I don't think it's appropriate to dedicate that much infrastructure to something that is an every once in while occurrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,777,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Scooters, maybe. But they can ride on sidewalks. I don't expect a significant number of bikes.

And even if there were a significant number of bikes, I don't think it's appropriate to dedicate that much infrastructure to something that is an every once in while occurrence.
Scooters are not allowed on the sidewalk. We can all agree that 5 lanes thru the tourist district of Atlanta is too wide and encourages speeding.
And yet people talk about getting an extra bedroom for the occasional guest or home office.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Please, I don't agree to that.

It's impossible to speed on a stretch of road that has a red light every 25 feet, whether its 1 lane or 20 lanes.

But, nice cover-up and rationalization for your car-hating mentality.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Please, I don't agree to that.

It's impossible to speed on a stretch of road that has a red light every 25 feet, whether its 1 lane or 20 lanes.

But, nice cover-up and rationalization for your car-hating mentality.
I guess you've walked COP Dr or Ted Turner, as soon as a signal turns green cars open up and take off, even if the next signal is red.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM

Yeah, they have enough room to get up to 20 miles per hour!

Maybe they'd feel less need to even try if they weren't incredibly frustrated from your artificial slow-down mechanisms.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they have enough room to get up to 20 miles per hour!

Maybe they'd feel less need to even try if they weren't incredibly frustrated from your artificial slow-down mechanisms.
You are making a mountain out of a 1-block mole hill. COP has always been envisioned as the nexus for a metro-wide trail system by PATH.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Since you put it that way....Yes. Yes, they are.

Vehicular traffic is crucial to the business of America. Next time your local restaurant gets a delivery of fresh vegetables via bicycle or a bike riding sanitation worker comes to your house to empty your garbage cans, let me know.
Your personal car carries no vegetables nor does it carry away anyone's garbage. Maybe all but one lane should be for trucks.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM

I have no problem with that. But you're talking about acres and acres of park. You're telling me a one block long 8 foot wide strip of that couldn't have been dedicated to a bike path and instead it made more sense to completely disrupt the flow of traffic by taking away a random block's worth of traffic lane only to give it right back?

It makes no sense and represents a complete and total lack of vision. If COP is to become the nexus for a metro-wide trail system, how about planning it properly instead of throwing a hodge podge together?

Perhaps in 20 years, the city will simply take away half the bike lanes at random intervals for scooters or some form of transportation we haven't envisioned yet.

You've convinced me. I'm voting Republican in local elections from now on.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 976,851 times
Quote:
I have no problem with that. But you're talking about acres and acres of park. You're telling me a one block long 8 foot wide strip of that couldn't have been dedicated to a bike path and instead it made more sense to completely disrupt the flow of traffic by taking away a random block's worth of traffic lane only to give it right back?

It makes no sense and represents a complete and total lack of vision. If COP is to become the nexus for a metro-wide trail system, how about planning it properly instead of throwing a hodge podge together?

Perhaps in 20 years, the city will simply take away half the bike lanes at random intervals for scooters or some form of transportation we haven't envisioned yet.

You've convinced me. I'm voting Republican in local elections from now on.
There is a plan. Have a read.

https://plandowntownatl.com/sites/pl...-%20Report.pdf

Old 01-29-2019, 11:49 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,335,736 times
I thought that lane had been there for years. But it doesn't show up in street view even as recently as a few months ago. Was something new just installed?

Okay, before anyone reads further, they should make sure they are sitting down and do not have a mouth full of liquid. Good? Okay...I have to agree with CQ here. The road is five lanes wide. The far left lane is pretty much a permanent construction/service vehicle parking zone, so that drops you to four lanes. But, use that one lane as a bike lane to make the path continuous for the 30 people a month who will use it. Then make that lane for the next block between Portman and Andrew Young a place for bus stops and the Uber/Lyft pickup spot for events. Then south of Luckie, it becomes a right turn lane for turning onto Marietta.

That still leaves three lanes for vehicle traffic which I think is sufficient. There are no traffic counts for that stretch of road (for whatever reason), but it's fed by Spring with 7,320 and the northern part of COP which has about 3,080. So, giving a little additional, you might have 12,500 vehicles on that road daily. Three lanes one way is perfectly sufficient to carry that load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta