Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I have no problem with that. But you're talking about acres and acres of park. You're telling me a one block long 8 foot wide strip of that couldn't have been dedicated to a bike path and instead it made more sense to completely disrupt the flow of traffic by taking away a random block's worth of traffic lane only to give it right back?

It makes no sense and represents a complete and total lack of vision. If COP is to become the nexus for a metro-wide trail system, how about planning it properly instead of throwing a hodge podge together?

Perhaps in 20 years, the city will simply take away half the bike lanes at random intervals for scooters or some form of transportation we haven't envisioned yet.

You've convinced me. I'm voting Republican in local elections from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I thought that lane had been there for years. But it doesn't show up in street view even as recently as a few months ago. Was something new just installed?

Okay, before anyone reads further, they should make sure they are sitting down and do not have a mouth full of liquid. Good? Okay...I have to agree with CQ here. The road is five lanes wide. The far left lane is pretty much a permanent construction/service vehicle parking zone, so that drops you to four lanes. But, use that one lane as a bike lane to make the path continuous for the 30 people a month who will use it. Then make that lane for the next block between Portman and Andrew Young a place for bus stops and the Uber/Lyft pickup spot for events. Then south of Luckie, it becomes a right turn lane for turning onto Marietta.

That still leaves three lanes for vehicle traffic which I think is sufficient. There are no traffic counts for that stretch of road (for whatever reason), but it's fed by Spring with 7,320 and the northern part of COP which has about 3,080. So, giving a little additional, you might have 12,500 vehicles on that road daily. Three lanes one way is perfectly sufficient to carry that load.
Bike lanes carry scooters, segways, or any other form of light individual transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
Three lanes one way is perfectly sufficient to carry that load.
What you are forgetting is this is a main feeder road for State Farm Arena and the Mercedes stadium.

So I don't know how many people use it for daily commuting, but I do know this: Thousands of people all use it in a very small amount of time any time there is a concert, basketball game, etc. This is typically several days per week.

So what you are saying is like saying "I-85 should really only be two lanes wide, because it only accommodates XXX number of vehicles." Yes, but that is not evenly spread. It primarily happens over the course of just a few hours every day.

Now, in the case of COP Dr., it really doesn't matter much because ALL THAT TRAFFIC is bottlenecked into just 2 lanes of traffic once you cross Marietta because of the geniuses who left it a 2-lane road up there.

These lanes of traffic are not needed for day to day commuters. They are needed for attendees of events, which are kind of becoming the norm. So what you're really doing is discouraging people from coming into the city for these events. Which is fine, so long as you think the MARTA and bicycle riders are sufficient to support them.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What you are forgetting is this is one of the main feeder road for State Farm Arena and the Mercedes stadium.

So I don't know how many people use it for daily commuting, but I do know this: Thousands of people all use it in a very small amount of time any time there is a concert, basketball game, etc. This is typically several days per week.

So what you are saying is like saying "I-85 should really only be two lanes wide, because it only accommodates XXX number of vehicles." Yes, but that is not evenly spread. It primarily happens over the course of just a few hours every day.

Now, in the case of COP Dr., it really doesn't matter much because ALL THAT TRAFFIC is bottlenecked into just 2 lanes of traffic once you cross Marietta because of the geniuses who left it a 2-lane road up there.

These lanes of traffic are not needed for day to day commuters. They are needed for attendees of events, which are kind of becoming the norm. So what you're really doing is discouraging people from coming into the city for these events. Which is fine, so long as you think the MARTA and bicycle riders are sufficient to support them.
MLK Dr being for moving event traffic east and onto 75/85N. Northside Dr to 75N, Ted Turner for moving traffic south to I-20W, I-20E, and 75/85S.

I am not saying anything about making an interstate highway into 2 lanes, please stop putting words into my mouth to fit your narrative.

I agree with COP Dr being left 2-way after Spring St Viaduct was finished, that 1 NB lane of COP Dr to Walton St is pointless and dumps traffic onto downtown street not made for event traffic.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with COP Dr being left 2-way after Spring St Viaduct was finished,
May I ask why?

I might agree with this if Spring was also a 2-way street and provided access to the venues. But why would you have SIX lanes going north (four on Spring and two on COP) and only TWO (on COP) going south? Shouldn't it at least be four and four?

I don't care how you want to cut it up, make both roads 1-way or both 2-way. But why is one one-way and the other two-way, providing THREE TIMES AS MANY lanes going in one direction than the other?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Quote:
May I ask why?

I might agree with this if Spring was also a 2-way street and provided access to the venues. But why would you have SIX lanes going north (four on Spring and two on COP) and only TWO (on COP) going south? Shouldn't it at least be four and four?

I don't care how you want to cut it up, make both roads 1-way or both 2-way. But why is one one-way and the other two-way, providing THREE TIMES AS MANY lanes going in one direction than the other?
Spring street and COP both go south. West Peachtree goes north.

Also , Spring street eventually runs into COP once you get to the COP area.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
May I ask why?

I AM AGREEING WITH YOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Spring street and COP both go south. West Peachtree goes north.
You sure about that?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7581...3924596,18.17z

Old 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your reply.

Do you have any insight into why the city (or county or state, whoever does this) left this road 2-way? Some good reason, or just too lazy to restripe it?

Especially when you consider the fact that right in front of CNN, it basically becomes a 1-lane road due to all the Ubers, etc. picking up and dropping people off in front of the building.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:49 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
May I ask why?
He's agreeing with you thinking it's useless.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:49 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I AM AGREEING WITH YOU

You sure about that?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7581...3924596,18.17z
Sure about what?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:52 PM

We're talking about the portion of Spring Street that is now known as Ted Turner Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta