U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:50 AM

7,935 posts, read 9,797,699 times

Advertisements

So if you go on Centennial Olympic Park Drive, they took away a lane of traffic to construct a rather spiffy looking 2-lane bike lane. It's either between Baker and John Portman, or John Portman and Andrew Young International, I'm not quite sure.

Now here's my question:

Forget whether you are for or against taking away a lane of traffic for a bike path.... why, on God's green Earth, would you do it for ONE STUPID BLOCK?

Literally, the lane ends and turns into a bike lane. Then a block later, it turns right back into a regular traffic lane! What in the world is the purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:54 AM

22,722 posts, read 16,726,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So if you go on Centennial Olympic Park Drive, they took away a lane of traffic to construct a rather spiffy looking 2-lane bike lane. It's either between Baker and John Portman, or John Portman and Andrew Young International, I'm not quite sure.

Now here's my question:

Forget whether you are for or against taking away a lane of traffic for a bike path.... why, on God's green Earth, would you do it for ONE STUPID BLOCK?

Literally, the lane ends and turns into a bike lane. Then a block later, it turns right back into a regular traffic lane! What in the world is the purpose?
It connects Portman PATH to the new off-street cycle track that was built using existing, wide sidewalk along Baker St, which connects to PATH PKwy. This creates a seamless, fully protected, 2-way cycle track connecting Marietta St/Howell Mill area to Freedom Park and Stone Mountain Trail.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

Couldn't they have accommodated this using non-street park space during the renovation of Centennial Olympic Park?

It just seems ridiculous to encroach on a road for one measly block.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Couldn't they have accommodated this using non-street park space during the renovation of Centennial Olympic Park?

It just seems ridiculous to encroach on a road for one measly block.
Roads are more than just transporting cars, it was already 5 lanes wide, plenty of lanes for use. COP Dr can benefit from Road Optimization.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

Then take away the lane all the way to CNN Center and give it to the park.

What's the point of bringing the lane back for a couple blocks after you've already made everybody merge over?

Of course, the road is already a complete disater, anyway. It magically becomes a 2-way road for no reason at Walton St. despite the fact that Spring Street, just one block over, is more than capable of carrying traffic in that direction. But you know, I guess it's too much for this city's planners to understand traffic works better one way when funneling people to and from Philips Arena and the Benz.

It's one of those things that was working just fine, and then they completely ruined it. Ask anybody who ever travels in the area when there is an event going on. Making Centennial Olympic Park Dr. a two-way road made things intensely worse. You've got two lanes of traffic going the wrong way when NOBODY needs to go that way (and if they do, they can easily just use Spring street, one block over).

I'm sick of everybody trying to fix this city and just making it worse. If you're going to fix it, then FIX IT. Or just leave it alone. At the very least, do no harm.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Then take away the lane all the way to CNN Center and give it to the park.

What's the point of bringing the lane back for a couple blocks after you've already made everybody merge over?

Of course, the road is already a complete disater, anyway. It magically becomes a 2-way road for no reason at Walton St. despite the fact that Spring Street, just one block over, is more than capable of carrying traffic in that direction. But you know, I guess it's too much for this city's planners to understand traffic works better one way when funneling people to and from Philips Arena and the Benz.

It's one of those things that was working just fine, and then they completely ruined it. Ask anybody who ever travels in the area when there is an event going on. Making Centennial Olympic Park Dr. a two-way road made things intensely worse. You've got two lanes of traffic going the wrong way when NOBODY needs to go that way (and if they do, they can easily just use Spring street, one block over).

I'm sick of everybody trying to fix this city and just making it worse. If you're going to fix it, then FIX IT. Or just leave it alone. At the very least, do no harm.
I agree that I am surprised they didn't re-convert COP Dr into a 1-way after Spring St Viaduct was finished. But this proves well for Streetcar extension along COP to Westview, since the existing 3 lanes can just shift over and allow the east curb lane to become a streetcar/bus lane.
It was working fine for cars, but not cyclists who need a way between PATH Pkwy and Portman PATH.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

Are bicyclists so important that they can't share a path with pedestrians for one block? There's already a gigantic sidewalk there that's gotta be at least 12 feet wide.

Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Are bicyclists so important that they can't share a path with pedestrians for one block? There's already a gigantic sidewalk there that's gotta be at least 12 feet wide.
Are cars so important that they need their very own, high speed ribbon of roads stretching for 48,191 miles?

Old Today, 10:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,577,719 times
Quote:
I don't want to share a lane with cyclists, as a pedestrian!

Old Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Are cars so important that they need their very own, high speed ribbon of roads stretching for 48,191 miles?
Since you put it that way....Yes. Yes, they are.

Vehicular traffic is crucial to the business of America. Next time your local restaurant gets a delivery of fresh vegetables via bicycle or a bike riding sanitation worker comes to your house to empty your garbage cans, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or