U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 PM

10,215 posts, read 7,207,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I'd be willing to provide protected bike lanes for a period of 5 years, to see if people will come out and use them.

If not, we can go back to what we have now.

It's just sort of sad that we can't get bike lanes on Peachtree in Midtown, which is Ground Zero for urban Millennials. Same with downtown, which is Ground Zero for tourists, and fairly high on the list for Millenials as well. Seems to me the window of opportunity is closing, since the UM's will be aging out soon.
I am not sure why you act like it is some hypothetical in need of experiment. We already have bike lanes. They are used. Heck, we even are building a ring road dedicated exclusively for pedestrians and bikes (The Beltline) and it is packed a key factor a lot of economic development happening in those parts of the city. The people have spoken, and they want streets to have safe facilities for pedestrians and bike. No more testing is needed. People are literately dying because of car-first designed streets. Time to start fixing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 PM

2,590 posts, read 1,224,054 times
Just an update, the scooter situation at GSU campus seems to be better towards them not being in the way all the time and there seems to be not as many as before (still a little early to tell and so I'd like to do some more observing).

As for people riding their scooters on the sidewalk, this hasn't changed at all and people ride them right in front of police officers.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:47 AM

28,675 posts, read 25,463,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am not sure why you act like it is some hypothetical in need of experiment. We already have bike lanes. They are used. Heck, we even are building a ring road dedicated exclusively for pedestrians and bikes (The Beltline) and it is packed a key factor a lot of economic development happening in those parts of the city. The people have spoken, and they want streets to have safe facilities for pedestrians and bike. No more testing is needed. People are literately dying because of car-first designed streets. Time to start fixing them.
Well, you have a point. I'm just suggesting we start putting more protected bike lanes out there. Wouldn't it be great for cyclists and scooter riders to be able to safely access our main street in downtown and Midtown?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM

10,215 posts, read 7,207,913 times
Quote:
Well, you have a point. I'm just suggesting we start putting more protected bike lanes out there. Wouldn't it be great for cyclists and scooter riders to be able to safely access our main street in downtown and Midtown?

Agreed!

Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM

2,590 posts, read 1,224,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

I don't know what they are called but I like the "sticks" they have up along 10th street in Midtown. I do feel bike lanes (the places I've seen them) need to be expanded. The sticks that create a "wall (not really a wall)" between cars and bikes I feel is a good idea. Especially for people unfamiliar with the area or when it's raining, it really does help in terms of visibility.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 AM

22,889 posts, read 16,885,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I don't know what they are called but I like the "sticks" they have up along 10th street in Midtown. I do feel bike lanes (the places I've seen them) need to be expanded. The sticks that create a "wall (not really a wall)" between cars and bikes I feel is a good idea. Especially for people unfamiliar with the area or when it's raining, it really does help in terms of visibility.
Do you know how many ride hailing vehicles unfamiliar with the area has tried to pull into those lanes at Charles Allen gate to drop riders off?
The 'bollards' or 'flexpost' work OK if they get replaced after large events; Music Midtown, Dogwood Fest, Peachtree Road Race.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 PM

These scooters have been around forever. Here is a woman who rode one way back in 1916 (with no protected lanes either).

https://imgur.com/gallery/rgtd9gB

Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 AM

22,889 posts, read 16,885,613 times
Quote:
These scooters have been around forever. Here is a woman who rode one way back in 1916 (with no protected lanes either).

In 1916 there was no reason to have protected lanes as cars where not available to the masses. Streets were actual public space.
But nice try

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 AM

794 posts, read 374,591 times
Quote:

Cars also didn't have seat belts, airbags, or interstate highways to drive on. Technology and humanity are allowed to make progress.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But nice try
Nice try at what?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta