U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,521,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
It's been my experience. When I said tearing each other down and not treating each other well, I wasn't just referring to the scooter situation. It's schools, it's the strangers in the bar, etc.

And no, it's not just younger people. I've seen this behavior common amongst those who are 50+ but I don't want to get off topic.
You kinda muddies the waters by trying to equate bad scooter etiquette with Black riders. So what exactly is the topic? Someone else stated that scooter rudeness is not limited to one group of individuals, and I concur. I have a place in Buckhead on Peachtree and young people of all kind speed down the sidewalks. Its a space/scooter issue...not really a certain demographic issue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 10:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,228,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
You kinda muddies the waters by trying to equate bad scooter etiquette with Black riders. So what exactly is the topic? Someone else stated that scooter rudeness is not limited to one group of individuals, and I concur. I have a place in Buckhead on Peachtree and young people of all kind speed down the sidewalks. Its a space/scooter issue...not really a certain demographic issue....

No, that's not what I was trying to do at all. If that's what you got from it, then you don't understand what I wrote.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you know how many ride hailing vehicles unfamiliar with the area has tried to pull into those lanes at Charles Allen gate to drop riders off?
The 'bollards' or 'flexpost' work OK if they get replaced after large events; Music Midtown, Dogwood Fest, Peachtree Road Race.

What?!?! No, I didn't know. When I saw them, it was during day time and it was pretty obvious the purpose of them.

Just an update...I thought the scooter situation got better but not really. I find that they are being parked horizontally and they literally take up almost half the sidewalk where they are parked. Because there are so many scooter companies now, a bunch of them are lined up for instance on Decatur Street (from Five Points all the way down to Piedmont Rd.). They really do get in the way. I'm really surprised they get away with taking up so much space.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I had someone riding a scooter run into me on the sidewalk recently, on a street with a bike lane. They are catching on alright.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by they are catching on alright. I have always seen the scooters being ridden on the sidewalk. I can't remember ever seeing them on the road, where they are suppose to be ridden.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 AM

22,916 posts, read 16,902,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
What?!?! No, I didn't know. When I saw them, it was during day time and it was pretty obvious the purpose of them.

Just an update...I thought the scooter situation got better but not really. I find that they are being parked horizontally and they literally take up almost half the sidewalk where they are parked. Because there are so many scooter companies now, a bunch of them are lined up for instance on Decatur Street (from Five Points all the way down to Piedmont Rd.). They really do get in the way. I'm really surprised they get away with taking up so much space.
Get GSU PD out of their cars and walking the sidewalks, impounding and removing illegally parked scooters.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 PM

175 posts, read 77,470 times
I have ridden a scooter on the Beltline; very carefully. I rode around on some of the side streets in Old 4th Ward. You have to be real careful since most people won't be carrying a helmet. I have seen people flying around recklessly on the Beltline. It's really poses an unexpected risk to to people who are not riding scooters. What happens when you get hit or injured by someone on a scooter? If they run off is it a hit and run? They are a cool way for people to get around but I think eventually they will be banned.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Get GSU PD out of their cars and walking the sidewalks, impounding and removing illegally parked scooters.

Glad you posted this because I really wasn't sure who to contact. I was walking in Midtown and saw scooters put aside. I think they were in front of hotels (not in front of the door but on the sidewalk where pedestrians walk) and perhaps staff put them in the garden area. I'm wondering if that would be the better thing to do. It would save time/energy from having to contact GSU PD.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
I have ridden a scooter on the Beltline; very carefully. I rode around on some of the side streets in Old 4th Ward. You have to be real careful since most people won't be carrying a helmet. I have seen people flying around recklessly on the Beltline. It's really poses an unexpected risk to to people who are not riding scooters. What happens when you get hit or injured by someone on a scooter? If they run off is it a hit and run? They are a cool way for people to get around but I think eventually they will be banned.

I got hit and the person who hit me, I could have sued him. Absolutely no remorse and I actually got blamed for being hit from behind.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 627,107 times
Looks like Athens may ban scooters:

https://www.ajc.com/news/athens-mull...jOdcY0RUWIlqJ/

AJC had an article about scooters in today's paper. Couldn't believe how many injuries there are from them. I think one city says an ER there sees 100 people a day with broken bones and facial cuts!

Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM

28,688 posts, read 25,481,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Looks like Athens may ban scooters:

https://www.ajc.com/news/athens-mull...jOdcY0RUWIlqJ/

AJC had an article about scooters in today's paper. Couldn't believe how many injuries there are from them. I think one city says an ER there sees 100 people a day with broken bones and facial cuts!
Sort of sad, in that they had potential.

But people drive them recklessly and leave them in jumbled up piles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta