U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:16 AM

28,588 posts, read 25,332,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Where's the crime? Are we supporting gun control now?
You can't be pulling out your firearm at a pool party.

Can you imagine what would happen if we all did that?

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...t-1/16-11-102/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:17 AM

55 posts, read 25,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
None of what you say has anything to do with my point.

Not only did he lie about being from Atlanta ever since he moved here, but when he turned 18, he didn't even bother to get his immigration status resolved himself (he waited until he was ****ing *25*).

And I find it very hard to believe that a reasonably intelligent person at age 12 (an age where you're now thinking about physical activities that adults engage in) was not aware of their surroundings and did not question them.

Yes, his parents screwed him big time while he was a child, but he's grown now. The onus to fix the bad situation is now on him.

Why are you defending liars and people who failed to take some personal responsibility for their life circumstances?
Once many people find out about their (lack of) immigration status as adults, they have no idea where to even begin. It can take them years to fully confront it and sometimes, the legal options aren't good so they just delay hoping for some political miracle agreement to dealing with it. Many families have used bad paperwork for years or the kids were being kids and not focused on it. Over 20-something years ago when I went to college, I had friends who didn't discover that they had no status until their financial aid applications were due.

Also, their parents aren't bad people. They came here for a better life for their families and they are all stuck. The lack of empathy displayed in this post is just stunning.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

1,452 posts, read 605,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatl View Post
Once many people find out about their (lack of) immigration status as adults, they have no idea where to even begin. It can take them years to fully confront it and sometimes, the legal options aren't good so they just delay hoping for some political miracle agreement to dealing with it. Many families have used bad paperwork for years or the kids were being kids and not focused on it. Over 20-something years ago when I went to college, I had friends who didn't discover that they had no status until their financial aid applications were due.

Also, their parents aren't bad people. They came here for a better life for their families and they are all stuck. The lack of empathy displayed in this post is just stunning.
I never said their parents were bad people, but they were/are irresponsible in this instance.

And FWIW, there is a difference between someone who has been law-abiding and was brought here without documentation as a baby and the situation 21 savage faces. I'm more sympathetic to the former.

Old Today, 11:43 AM

1,452 posts, read 605,482 times
Below is a screen shot of text messages he sent.

Like I said, I don't feel too bad for him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...ampf=undefined

Last edited by citidata18; Today at 12:02 PM..

Old Today, 11:57 AM

21,915 posts, read 33,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
I'll remember that the next time you post about smoking a blunt with your friends in violation of federal law. I'm sure whoever supplied the bud never committed a felony.
LOL@playing that card. I'm sure the Feds will be knocking my door down at any minute.
I've gotten high with plenty of high-placed government officials, including a school chum of my first husband that went on to become a U.S. Senator.
If you ever suffered menstrual cramps, you'd jump off your high horse fast enough.

Old Today, 12:07 PM

679 posts, read 338,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can't be pulling out your firearm at a pool party.

Can you imagine what would happen if we all did that?

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...t-1/16-11-102/
Again, he has not been convicted for that yet. Due process is still a thing in this country.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

1,032 posts, read 488,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
There's probably no trace maybe because the amount of annoyance/(maybe even bullying I dunno) his accent got him in school/elsewhere. People tend to associate "properness" with a British accent and I'm sorry but in school here, me speaking proper English was a problem at many schools I attended. It's like if you didn't speak like them you were othered and made to feel bad.
Here's a video of his mom: https://youtu.be/4lC9R70Geus

They also say that he's really turning his life around and straying away from the goon image. He's been doing things for the community and putting out songs with better content (allegedly).

Old Today, 12:11 PM

679 posts, read 338,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
I'll remember that the next time you post about smoking a blunt with your friends in violation of federal law. I'm sure whoever supplied the bud never committed a felony.
As snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
LOL@playing that card. I'm sure the Feds will be knocking my door down at any minute.
I've gotten high with plenty of high-placed government officials, including a school chum of my first husband that went on to become a U.S. Senator.
If you ever suffered menstrual cramps, you'd jump off your high horse fast enough.
But on the real, in one America, we have people who are being kicked out of the only country they've only known for drug offenses. In another, we have people only joking about their drug crimes on the internet. Rich.

Old Today, 12:18 PM

9,748 posts, read 8,912,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
As snap!

But on the real, in one America, we have people who are being kicked out of the only country they've only known for drug offenses. In another, we have people only joking about their drug crimes on the internet. Rich.
Those folks who are being kicked out, are likely being kicked out due to their immigration / citizenship status. They were likely detected in that regard as a result of their drug offenses (or other offenses). While I understand your point, the two are vastly different.

Old Today, 12:24 PM

55 posts, read 25,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I never said their parents were bad people, but they were/are irresponsible in this instance.

And FWIW, there is a difference between someone who has been law-abiding and was brought here without documentation as a baby and the situation 21 savage faces. I'm more sympathetic to the former.
He was a child when he was brought here. A baby is a child as well. No documentation means out of status. Once his visa expires, he was out of status. Most undocumented immigrants are people who are on expired visas, not the image we have of babies being smuggled through the desert.

He is an artist. The content of his lyrics have no bearing on this conversation. His conviction was reversed. Not everyone should have to be a Rhodes Scholar to earn a place in this country when they have made a productive life for themselves. He has made a productive life and is supporting his American children and other family members. Your sympathy or lack thereof for him should be worth nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta