Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 AM

492 posts, read 535,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Speaking of the Asian population Alpharetta, Lambert and South Forsyth have very fast growing Asian populations. I would not be surprised if Lambert becomes 50-60% Asian in the next five to six years. South Forsyth and Denmark will be at least 35-40% Asian in four to five years.

Elementary and middle school feeders to Alpharetta have seen a fast growing Asian population in recent years. Creek View Elementary which feeds into Alpharetta has grew from 30% Asian to 53% Asian in 3 years.

Agreed. Alpharetta, Lambert and South Forsyth will be 50 to 70% Asian in the next four to five years. North view is already there and Johns creek is getting there. Milton high and Cambridge high will be around 30% Asian in 4 to 5 years I am guessing if they are already not there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Agreed. Alpharetta, Lambert and South Forsyth will be 50 to 70% Asian in the next four to five years. North view is already there and Johns creek is getting there. Milton high and Cambridge high will be around 30% Asian in 4 to 5 years I am guessing if they are already not there..
I’d say your estimate for Milton is pretty accurate, my son in elementary school which feeds Milton has around 1/3 of his classmates being Indian or other Asian. It’s great to see the cultural diversity.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
Are whites moving out of these school zones? Or is it just that the schools are growing, and all the the new students are Asian, resulting in a higher Asian %?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM

712 posts, read 701,473 times
Quote:
I have two kids at South Forsyth. As you know ther are already a large number of Asian students. However, South will become dramatically more Asian next year. The senior class is 1/3 of the school’s enrollment and it is noticeably less Asian than the other classes.

I have child currently in 10th grade at South. Her elementary school was already very close to 50% Asian when she was in fifth grade and the demographics of her grade reflect that fact. Two of the three feeder middle schools for South are currently close to 50% Asian and both will be majority Asian within two years at the most. It may take less than four years for South and Lambert to reach 50% Asian enrollment.

For anyone who wants to know what the near-term future holds, the elementary school my kids attended (solely a feeder for South Forsyth) has had 80% Asian enrollment for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Are whites moving out of these school zones? Or is it just that the schools are growing, and all the the new students are Asian, resulting in a higher Asian %?
It’s two concurrent trends. The white population is older and increasingly has more households with no school age children. Simultaneously as schools cross the 40 - 45% Asian enrollment tipping point white families stop purchasing houses in those school zones which accelerates the transition from majority white to majority Asian. I witnessed it at our elementary school. My oldest is a senior at South Forsyth. Her elementary school was 90ish% white when she was in first grade. It’s now 80% Asian.

There has also been some white flight out of those schools. When Dave’s Creek ES was rezoned a couple of years ago a decent portion of the remaining white families used the district choice option to send their kids to majority white Mashburn ES. Others opted for white private schools. The bottom line is that most white parents do not want their kids in majority non-white schools.

Last edited by BR Valentine; 02-07-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I would say it's a combination of the factors.

1. Most of the incoming students are Asian because of the increased migration from Asian families to Alpharetta/Milton/Johns Creek/South Forsyth

2.Aging white families with fewer kids in school

3. White flight after a tipping point when the Asian enrollment in the school exceeds 50%. I have observed similar phenomenon in the Bay area (Cupertino, Sunnyvale) and some cities in Southern California(Irvine)

Old 02-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’d say your estimate for Milton is pretty accurate, my son in elementary school which feeds Milton has around 1/3 of his classmates being Indian or other Asian. It’s great to see the cultural diversity.
Yes most if not all of the elementary schools that feed Milton high are around 1/3rd Asian at this point. In a few years the middle and high schools will start reflecting the same..

I have family/friends with kids going to some of these schools and the parents feels like Milton High and Alpharetta High are well rounded compared to the other schools at this point.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post

For anyone who wants to know what the near-term future holds, the elementary school my kids attended (solely a feeder for South Forsyth) has had 80% Asian enrollment for a couple of years.
80%. I didn't realize that the proportion of Asian kids was that high in elementary schools..

Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Right or wrong, when were were looking at houses in Roswell and East Cobb, we asked our realtor if we should add Alpharetta to the list. Her response was "unless you want to be a minority in your own neighborhood, I would advise against it." According to her, Indians like to stick together, and 50-100% of entire neighborhoods were Indian. She thought we might feel out of place and/or not included in community functions.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,763 times
The plus side for a minority majority neighbourhood in this case is: your home value will be holding up better

Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM

712 posts, read 701,473 times
Quote:
80%. I didn't realize that the proportion of Asian kids was that high in elementary schools..
Johns Creek is the same. Big Creek will be too soon enough. Brookwood and Sharon are the only elementary schools south of GA-20 and east of 400 that aren’t already at least 50% Asian and it will be three years at most before Brookwood is majority Asian.

Five years ago when my wife was at Midway ES it was a Title I School and majority AA and Latinx. It’s now nearly 50% Asian now that the AA and Latinx kids are mostly at Brandywine. White enrollment in Forsyth peaked a few years ago and is slowly declining annually. My wife works in the district and, trust me, student demographics are something to which the district pays close attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta