U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,632,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I guess my question specifically, letís say I stay in a condo *in* Cumberland, who is that accounts for my existence on the census? Even on that CID link, it says Cumberland has 100k residents, but that makes little sense if there is no city or town for residents to exist in? To some of these people itís just a commercial district for Cobb county. I think Iím looking atthis wrong lol
You are overthinking the issue. When I first moved to the area - I lived in an apartment in the Cumberland area (zip code 30339). My address was Atlanta. Today if you live in that zip code, it is acceptable to list your address as Atlanta or Vinings or even Sandy Springs!

An important issue you need to understand is the difference between City Limits and City address designations.

The City address designation is defined by the USPS. It indicates the post office for which your address is served from. The USPS does not care about physical City Limits. There are many areas that are unincorporated (not part of a City Limit) but they need a City address).

The USPS does not update their Cities immediately. For example, residents of South Fulton still use Atlanta as their City address.

If you live in 30022, your official address is Alpharetta but Johns Creek is accepted

And so on.

You can play around here:

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-look...?citybyzipcode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,332,145 times
Just like I use, "Lake Spivey, Georgia" for my 30236 zip code with (with the U. S. Postal Service blessings of course ;0) ) instead of Jonesboro that also uses the same zip code. Here in Clayton County Lake City and Morrow also share the 30260 zip code.
In the City of South Fulton the "303" begining zip codes from the Tri-Cities area can use either "Atlanta" or Hapeville, East Point, or College Park, respectfully. As another poster has already mentioned, north of Atlanta places in North Fulton and northwestern Dekalb also have "303" beginning zip codes and can be deemed either "Atlanta" or Sandy Springs or Dunwoody, or even Brookhaven. So really parts of "South Fulton" could be called College Park, East Point, Atlanta, or even Union City or Fairburn. All of this, of course is all thanks to the U. S. Postal service need to cover previously rural unincorporated Fulton County with a postal address and of course the meandering, amoeba like city borders of the new city of South Fulton that wiggles through the outskirts of and between numerous century old existing municipalities.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:45 PM

662 posts, read 474,897 times
Thank you all.

I understand the interchangeability in mailing addresses, but as far what the census counts as city resident!is moreso my secondary question.

For example, this doesn’t seem to add up to 6 million.

Are there various unincorporated communities in the metro communities, not listed here, but acknowledged as county population?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atla...ropolitan_area

Lithonia feels a lot larger than its official population. I didn’t know lake Spivey was its own thing, it’s just Stockbridge.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 PM

4,093 posts, read 4,699,266 times
Quote:
Thank you all.

I understand the interchangeability in mailing addresses, but as far what the census counts as city resident!is moreso my secondary question.

For example, this doesnít seem to add up to 6 million.

Are there various unincorporated communities in the metro communities, not listed here, but acknowledged as county population?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atla...ropolitan_area

Lithonia feels a lot larger than its official population. I didnít know lake Spivey was its own thing, itís just Stockbridge.
yes, fulton is the only county in the metro that is almost entirely within city limits of some sort. only the grey areas are incorporated (this map doesn't have south fulton or stonecrest). the white outlined areas are census-designated places, like a community without a government.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yes, fulton is the only county in the metro that is almost entirely within city limits of some sort. only the grey areas are incorporated (this map doesn't have south fulton or stonecrest). the white outlined areas are census-designated places, like a community without a government.
Thanks. So would that count for the apparent discrepancy from that wiki-page listing metro Atlanta cities?

Though it included CDPs, youíd say itís missing a lot of these micro-neighborhoods that have population themselves?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 PM

10,175 posts, read 7,171,993 times
Quote:
Thanks. So would that count for the apparent discrepancy from that wiki-page listing metro Atlanta cities?

Though it included CDPs, you’d say it’s missing a lot of these micro-neighborhoods that have population themselves?
The "metro area" where that 6 million number comes from is mostly unincorporated (not-a-city) places. The counties provide many of the services a city would in those areas. If you add up the populations of only the incorporated / "official" cities in the metro you would be well short of that 6 million. The City of Atlanta itself has a population of about 450K.

So long story short, "Cumberland" is just a name. That name is associated with a mostly unincorporated area in Cobb Country.

People often associate where they live with places that have names, usually cities. Even if they are outside the official limits of any city. The post office expects every address to have a city on it, even if that address is not in a city. Which can cause more confusion. But in this case "Cumberland" is a place that people associate with that is not an official city. So it's boundaries are even more open to debate.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The "metro area" where that 6 million number comes from is mostly unincorporated (not-a-city) places. The counties provide many of the services a city would in those areas. If you add up the populations of only the incorporated / "official" cities in the metro you would be well short of that 6 million. The City of Atlanta itself has a population of about 450K.

So long story short, "Cumberland" is just a name. That name is associated with a mostly unincorporated area in Cobb Country.

People often associate where they live with places that have names, usually cities. Even if they are outside the official limits of any city. The post office expects every address to have a city on it, even if that address is not in a city. Which can cause more confusion. But in this case "Cumberland" is a place that people associate with that is not an official city. So it's boundaries are even more open to debate.
How many metros have these fuzzy lines throughout in this way?

I understand it is just a name attached to commercial district, but the CID link says it has a population of 100k
A poster above said that population is just a mish-mash of Smyrna, Vinings, East Cobb... but if that is the case, why attribute population to ďCumberlandĒ at all?

I could see if it were an unincorporated community with a 100k population seperate from the aforementioned cities, but it isnít apparently.

And yes, it is very well short of 6 million, why wouldnít the census use the mailing address of the resident. For example, it seems like a out of people stay out in the lithonia area, but its city limit population is tiny... the people in unincorporated areas around it should be added to the cityís figure.

I know Atlanta is large, but 5.9 claim would be better substantiated with more incorporated area statistics in my mind

Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,632,083 times
The Census follows Congressional Districts

https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/aboutcd.html

As for Cumberland and its 100K residents - I suspect that is an estimate for marketing purposes

Old 02-08-2019, 06:06 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,332,145 times
Lake Spivey, Georgia 30236, between Jonesboro (shares zip code) and Stockbridge, but MOSTLY lies within Clayton County (hence Jonesboro) with a few straggles over the Henry County line. https://www.lakespivey.us/. We are a postal and census designated place (cohabitating one of Jonesboro's zip codes kind of like Cumberland Area/ Atlanta, etc.) Check us out; we DEFINITELY are a "thing" despite not being incorporated. ;0) Perhaps you were getting us confused with Eagles Landing, which lies almost entirely in the City limits or postal zone of Stockbridge. The western edge of the proposed City of Eagle's Landing that was rejected last fall would have fallen a little into the designated Lake Spivey postal overlay district, but would not have included any of the lakeside communities on Lake Spivey or Lake Jodeco. Over a decade ago, there were discussions about incorporating Lake Spivey (that was when we got our "postal designated "overlay district) but Stockbridge's "annexation fever" really had already gobbled up most of the commercial corridors on their side of the county line to make incorporation financially viable.

Last edited by Clayton white guy; 02-08-2019 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM

6,123 posts, read 3,138,679 times
I live in both Vinings and Cumberland, in Atlanta 30339 in ITP unincorporated Cobb. It's within both the Vinings census-designated place, and the Cumberland CID. And I usually just use Atlanta for my address.

Vinings is kind of like a neighborhood or a community, like Buckhead. Whereas Cumberland is more thought of in office high rise district terms, similar to its bigger brother Perimeter.

Map of 30339:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.4645184

Map of Cumberland CID:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...!4d-84.4540501
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or