U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 AM

1,927 posts, read 783,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Like what?
N.W. Corridoor
GA400 / I-285 Interchange reconstruction
I-285 Top End HOT lanes (if this passes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,272,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
considering the bridge wasn't even up to spec to use for the super bowl i would agree. it was a dumb idea probably from someone powerful whose advisors are afraid to say "no" to. idk why anyone's defending that thing still.
Wasn't up to spec? It was being used before the game by credentialed people and I believe it was open to the public after the game.

I think the bridge over Northside is a great idea. It helps keep pedestrians going from the station to the stadium or to the GWCC on a separated walkway, so that both pedestrians and vehicles can keep moving efficiently during peak times around special events. I do not think they had to turn it into a piece of modern art and drive the costs up the way they did. A plain concrete bridge at a fraction of the cost would have sufficed.

Honestly, I believe the only reason people are really mad about that bridge, outside of the costs, is that pedestrians didn't get to "win" against cars, making them stop for them for longer periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
N.W. Corridoor
GA400 / I-285 Interchange reconstruction
I-285 Top End HOT lanes (if this passes)
The 400/285 reconstruction is badly-needed and hardly going to be ineffective. The other two are pretty meh.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 PM

5,417 posts, read 3,815,192 times
Quote:
Honestly, I believe the only reason people are really mad about that bridge, outside of the costs, is that pedestrians didn't get to "win" against cars, making them stop for them for longer periods of time.
I can't speak for them, but I'm angry that the funds from the bridge were stolen (yes, stolen) from the Renew Atlanta fund. If it had been privately funded, it wouldn't have bothered me much.

Quote:
The 400/285 reconstruction is badly-needed and hardly going to be ineffective. The other two are pretty meh.
I'm not against the project (especially since I'll be moving to the area in July), but the traffic using the interchange and its feeder roads will likely exceed its AADT capacity by 2030 (much as Spaghetti Junction was overwhelmed by 1997, ten years after it was completed).

Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,235,666 times
Quote:
So, wait...a pedestrian bridge across a 4-lane road connecting a transit station to a major sporting stadium is a complete waste and a boondoggle, but a pedestrian bridge crossing a 200' wide interstate between relatively low-density residential areas where there are bridges crossing it every 1/4-1/2 mile is a swell idea?

Color me confused.

Bill Kennedy way should be essentially closed and become just park/path. It's the route of the future Beltline anyway. And it's total distance is less than 1/2 mile, dead-ending into cross roads on both ends. It serves no practical purpose that Boulevard and Moreland couldn't handle, unless Bill Kennedy sees a huge amount of traffic that would put too much pressure on those roads. It appears that Bill Kennedy sees only 7,000 vehicles a day, so not likely.

However, I'm betting that the new development being built just north of I-20 will put pressure to keep it open. Near-instant access to I-20 is a huge selling point.

Like what?
I'm not sure what there is to be confused about. See points 1 and 2 below.

1) The area isn't very low density and has many pedestrians/bikers with places to go - Grant Park/Summerhill, especially the northern ends, have sizeable populations. Currently, Hill St, Cherokee, and Boulevard are the only ways to cross over I-20. Hill St. and Boulevard are both HORRIBLE for pedestrians/bikers when you get to the interstate crossing due to the on/off ramps and gas stations. There are multiple new apartment buildings and restaurants just north of I-20 between these streets, which brought with them many new residents. Take for example the intersection of Grant/Glenwood, which is just south of I-20. If you want to walk to Augustine's, it is .6 miles and 13 minutes, which is largely through an area of Hill St that few families would feel comfortable walking with kids (which is most of the people who live in Grant Park). With a pedestrian bridge at Grant St, it would be 5 minutes and .3 miles through comfortable and very walkable residential streets. Even bigger of a destination, imagine you want to take MARTA to work. The King Memorial station is currently .9 miles and a 19 minute walk from that same intersection. With a pedestrian bridge, that would be a .5 mile, 10 minute walk, again through biker/pedestrian friendly streets.

2) I-20 is not Northside Drive - Northside drive is an at-grade artery through the city, which with some willpower, could easily be made pedestrian/biker friendly with a road diet via complete streets. The bridge over Northside is a boondoggle because it adds to the length of time it takes someone to get from Vine City to Downtown, rather than being a more convenient option than crossing the street. I-20, on the other hand, is a major interstate corridor that is below grade through some sections of Grant Park. There is no way to make I-20 pedestrian/biker friendly - it is an interstate. Additionally, as noted in Point 1, a pedestrian bridge across I-20 is actually something that would make more people walk/bike northward to MARTA and heavy development north of I-20, and southward to the park/Zoo Atlanta south of I-20, because it goes through light-traffic, family friendly areas, all while CUTTING the time it takes to walk to your destination.

I'm not sure why you are confused or there is an argument to be had. The Stitch would be a great thing for downtown/midtown, and pedestrian bridges that relink neighborhoods broken by the interstates would also be a great thing where a sizeable project like The Stitch is not possible. I gave the example of Grant St. above, but there should be pedestrian bridges at Martin St. in Summerhill, Grant St and Park Ave/Loomis Ave in Grant Park, and Stovall St in Ormewood Park. Each of these would be well used, and relink the neighborhoods.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM

23,287 posts, read 17,474,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
They had talked about putting a cap over I-20 through sections of Grant Park. It's not as continuous as the connector, but parts of it are below grade between Hill St and Boulevard. If anything, we could at least use pedestrian bridges to cross the highway. I think that would be a lot more useful than the one causing a ruckus that is going over Northside.
Instead of building a new *expensive* bridge, use the too-wide, existing Cherokee St Bridge, widen the sidewalks or create protected bike lanes using the pointless lanes, since there on-street parking on both sides and that street should never be 4-lanes wide.
Quote:
Wasn't up to spec? It was being used before the game by credentialed people and I believe it was open to the public after the game.

I think the bridge over Northside is a great idea. It helps keep pedestrians going from the station to the stadium or to the GWCC on a separated walkway, so that both pedestrians and vehicles can keep moving efficiently during peak times around special events. I do not think they had to turn it into a piece of modern art and drive the costs up the way they did. A plain concrete bridge at a fraction of the cost would have sufficed.

As soon as the bridge was over-budget extras like the decorative snakeskin (that has NO ROOF), etc should have been trimmed from the budget.
People are mad because the voters had a list of projects, this $27M project was nowhere found on the list. Now Renew Atlanta/TSPLOST is going to the rebaslining public meetings claiming that Bond Premiums were used for the project and those could be spent anyway the ADMINISTRATION AKA Reed saw fit. Let's not forget the former and existing councilmembers who approved this 2X.
Also $10M from TSPLOST for Botanical Gardens/Piedmont Park expansion. Right there is nearly $40M that could have built all promised Complete Street projects.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,010,663 times
I agree with cqholt here, once the main entrance to Zoo Atlanta and Grant Park moves over to Boulevard, Cherokee St. can be reduced with the outermost lanes being made explicitly and only for parking rather than a travel lane. I also agree about Bill Kennedy Way, it should be given over to the SE Beltline. Glenwood through there isn't too bad, except everyone turning every which way at Bill Kennedy makes it a mess surrounding that intersection.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I agree with cqholt here, once the main entrance to Zoo Atlanta and Grant Park moves over to Boulevard, Cherokee St. can be reduced with the outermost lanes being made explicitly and only for parking rather than a travel lane. I also agree about Bill Kennedy Way, it should be given over to the SE Beltline. Glenwood through there isn't too bad, except everyone turning every which way at Bill Kennedy makes it a mess surrounding that intersection.
We could make it protected LIT lanes for access from Woodward Ave (preferred alternative to Memorial Dr) to Zoo and Grant Park. That parking garage will have plenty of parking for visitors and needs to make it's cost back.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

10,008 posts, read 9,295,018 times
You guys know that $400 million is only the beginning...

Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,235,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Instead of building a new *expensive* bridge, use the too-wide, existing Cherokee St Bridge, widen the sidewalks or create protected bike lanes using the pointless lanes, since there on-street parking on both sides and that street should never be 4-lanes wide.

As soon as the bridge was over-budget extras like the decorative snakeskin (that has NO ROOF), etc should have been trimmed from the budget.
People are mad because the voters had a list of projects, this $27M project was nowhere found on the list. Now Renew Atlanta/TSPLOST is going to the rebaslining public meetings claiming that Bond Premiums were used for the project and those could be spent anyway the ADMINISTRATION AKA Reed saw fit. Let's not forget the former and existing councilmembers who approved this 2X.
Also $10M from TSPLOST for Botanical Gardens/Piedmont Park expansion. Right there is nearly $40M that could have built all promised Complete Street projects.
I agree Cherokee should be reduced, there is no reason for 4 lanes up there. But we still need pedestrian bridges, since Boulevard and Hill are never going to be pedestrian/bike friendly over I-20. I've had some talks with our councilmember, and she seems to think a pedestrian bridge is more likely than the state ever making Hill St safe.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree Cherokee should be reduced, there is no reason for 4 lanes up there. But we still need pedestrian bridges, since Boulevard and Hill are never going to be pedestrian/bike friendly over I-20. I've had some talks with our councilmember, and she seems to think a pedestrian bridge is more likely than the state ever making Hill St safe.
Sounds like Carla Smith is rolling over and not willing to fight for that. Typical, she voted YES on Northside Dr Pedestrian bridge and Piedmont Park/Botanical Gardens expansion which stole nearly $40M from Renew/TSPLOST. Demand more from your CM or vote her out!
Archibong has worked with GDOT to get a safer Memorial Dr, project to be completed by June 31, 2019. So it is possible, just gotta be a bulldog about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or