U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM

114 posts, read 435,955 times

Advertisements

Anyone have ideas for good day trips or weekend getaways (via car) from Atlanta? I'd love to explore this region a bit more, and I'm open to any type of activity: meandering through a new city, hiking/biking/camping, national parks, checking out quaint towns, history tours, etc.

I've done Savannah (very cute, loved the ghost tour!) Am thinking about:

- Birmingham
- Chattanooga
- Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l park

Anyone else want to add to my list? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 890,407 times
Do you have kids?

Welcome To Space Camp® Online

Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,063,764 times
Asheville, NC.

That'd have to be a multi-day trip.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,152,162 times
Blue Ridge, Highlands (NC) and Cashiers (NC) for sure! Oh, and Madison GA is great and on the way to Lake Oconee and Athens, GA.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,781,588 times
We just visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga this past weekend, and had a great time. I'd say it's a better aquarium than the GA aquarium (practically the same exhibits, and far less crowded/rushed), and the area around the aquarium is nicer as well.

You can also take a day trip up to Helen and/or Dahlonega as well if you're into shopping/antiques.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

114 posts, read 435,955 times
Nope, no kids...though I like doing "kiddie" things. (My bf and I have visted the Cabbage Patch Kids Babyland General Hosptial in Cleveland [northern GA]. And the Kangaroo Conservation in Dawsonville.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post

Last edited by nerak31; 04-09-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Clarifying Cleveland, GA

Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We just visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga this past weekend, and had a great time. I'd say it's a better aquarium than the GA aquarium (practically the same exhibits, and far less crowded/rushed), and the area around the aquarium is nicer as well.

You can also take a day trip up to Helen and/or Dahlonega as well if you're into shopping/antiques.
Damn, Bob beat me to my suggestions.

I ditto the Chattanooga Aquarium. I actually like it much more than the Ga. Aquarium too. It's more interactive and has a few "natural environment" type areas indoors (trees, waterfalls, etc) along with the animals. It's not just a bunch of large tanks, and you don't have the problem with vagrants in downtown Chattanooga that you have in some spots here, either.

There's a waterfront area next to it, a lot of good restaurants within a couple of blocks of it, etc. I think I ate at a place called "Big River" across the street from the Aquarium and the food was excellent.

As far as the North Ga. mountains, I like Dahlonega the best, but unless you're going to pan for gold or gems at one of those places, then Helen might be a better bet for the kids. Helen is sorta-kinda tacky but kids always seem to dig it.

There is a Kangaroo wildlife center (yes, really) in North Georgia near Dahlonega, too. Great place to take the kids. Link: Kangaroo Conservation Center

Here's also a link of things to do with kids in Georgia: Georgia Family Vacations and Traveling with Kids in Georgia - What to do in Georgia with your Children

Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,515,204 times
For beaches Panama City Beach,FL (Gulf of Mexico) Panama City Beach Florida: Vacation Info, Hotels, Condos, House Rentals is nice for a weekend getaway or Amelia Island & Fernadina Beach, FL (Atlantic Ocean) Amelia Island and Historic Fernandina Beach. The drive takes me about 5 hours and is well worth it upon arrival! Amelia Island is a bit more classy in my opinion but Panama City Beach isn't bad at all. Both have nice scenic drives.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM

69 posts, read 267,302 times
We joined the GA State Parks...it was I think $25-30 for parking and you can add on other features too. Their website is great - you can see what each park has in terms of ammenities for hiking/biking/camping/lodging and other nearby attractions. So we plan weekend day trips (sometimes overnight trips) around these locations.

Our latest trip was down to Pine Mountain - very cool park.

Georgia State Parks

Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM

23,057 posts, read 35,012,419 times
I'm surprised how few people in GA know that we have our own "Grand Canyon"...Providence Canyon. It's a great day trip!

Georgia State Parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta