U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,549,149 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. They could have done it a few yrs ago with their first large profit sharing bonuses. Or any of the subsequent years. How did they respond? They increased their baggage fees in Q3 2018 by $5 across the board. Probably because they also revised their forecast for earnings in Q2, expecting them to not be as good as expected. Guy is board room ....."lets just bump the baggage fees to shore up the gap".

Baggage fees make up roughly $1 Billion of Deltas overall revenue. With this latest increase it should be over $1B for 2019. And it is found money. They didn't create some new service. The $200 change fare fee... same thing. Interesting the baggage fees nearly matches the profit sharing figure.

Shareholders would never allow them to touch it. The notion, as some in here in the past have alluded to, that Delta is anything other than a for profit machine is silly. People are lining up to pay it so I don't blame them. That is a business' primary objective, to maximize profits. I just choose to take my business to another carrier.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:45 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,041,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
WIth that much in profits, Delta could make a huge PR win by reducing some baggage fees or something for the customer base.
Where do you think those profits come from? Baggage fees are simply a revenue and profit generator.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM

15,106 posts, read 27,082,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where do you think those profits come from? Baggage fees are simply a revenue and profit generator.
Exactly!

Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 PM

8,034 posts, read 9,875,809 times
I shredded my Delta AMEX gold card instead of renewing it this year. Living in Atlanta, sometimes you're forced to take Delta, but I always look for other options first.

I'd rather see Delta make profits by selling business class upgrades for reasonable prices, like $300 for domestic flights and $500 for intl, or something like that. Instead, they make the price absolutely ludicrous so the only people who are sitting in those seats are medallion members...which I have no problem with....or spouses of flight attendants and pilots, which I have an enormous problem with. Delta gives those seats away as a perk instead of letting passengers willing to spend extra purchase them. That's a shame.

Once I realized I'd never, ever, ever, ever be able to get into business class on Delta, I decided to start earning points on other airlines, where you can upgrade for fewer than 800,000 miles.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I shredded my Delta AMEX gold card instead of renewing it this year. Living in Atlanta, sometimes you're forced to take Delta, but I always look for other options first.

I'd rather see Delta make profits by selling business class upgrades for reasonable prices, like $300 for domestic flights and $500 for intl, or something like that. Instead, they make the price absolutely ludicrous so the only people who are sitting in those seats are medallion members...which I have no problem with....or spouses of flight attendants and pilots, which I have an enormous problem with. Delta gives those seats away as a perk instead of letting passengers willing to spend extra purchase them. That's a shame.

Once I realized I'd never, ever, ever, ever be able to get into business class on Delta, I decided to start earning points on other airlines, where you can upgrade for fewer than 800,000 miles.
AirTran used to be perfect for this. I was always business class on AirTran due to frequent flyer upgrades. And after I lost my status, upgrades were usually under $100. Even if I traveled twice as much as I used to, I'd still be a bug on the bottom of someone's shoe in Delta's eyes.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,549,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
AirTran used to be perfect for this. I was always business class on AirTran due to frequent flyer upgrades. And after I lost my status, upgrades were usually under $100. Even if I traveled twice as much as I used to, I'd still be a bug on the bottom of someone's shoe in Delta's eyes.
They were great when I was in college. If you were 18-22 you could fly standbys with their x-fares program. It was $30 each way when it rolled out. I think it was $60 each way shortly thereafter. $60 for a round trip flight no matter the destination was awesome.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 8,964,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
They were great when I was in college. If you were 18-22 you could fly standbys with their x-fares program. It was $30 each way when it rolled out. I think it was $60 each way shortly thereafter. $60 for a round trip flight no matter the destination was awesome.
Gotta pay the price. Even as a two million miler, I receive absolutely no benefits. So much for being a loyal customer all of these years. Nonetheless, I will continue to support (be a customer of) our locally-based airline. It is has been a good corporate citizen for many years now.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM

1,633 posts, read 665,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I will continue to support (be a customer of) our locally-based airline. It is has been a good corporate citizen for many years now.
That's what it's all about!

Old 02-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Gotta pay the price. Even as a two million miler, I receive absolutely no benefits.
That's just pure insanity, and why I don't even bother with a Delta frequent flyer account. I've been on flights where the gate area is almost empty before they even finish special-class boarding, because literally everyone has status. I'd never surpass them.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:26 PM

8,034 posts, read 9,875,809 times
I've noticed this, too.

One of the reasons I got the AMEX Delta Gold card was for priority boarding. Well, guess what? It only gives you zone one boarding. Nowadays, you could have zone one and still be the last man standing. It's such a joke.

I read somewhere that Delta has more boarding classes than any other airline in the industry, and I believe it.

Skymiles are completely worthless, least value of any point system in the industry. If you travel frequently and are looking for a co-branded loyalty credit card program, Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt all offer much better programs than Delta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta