U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 45,724 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Duluth soon for a job and I need info on schools and apartments in the area. I want to rent for a year to get a feel for the area first before I buy.. I have a 5 year old daughter in Kindergarten. Schools are very important to me. Should I live in Duluth or John's Creek? My rental budget is $1300. My job will be off of Boggs Rd 30096. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 06:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 5,215,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha5003 View Post
I will be relocating to Duluth soon for a job and I need info on schools and apartments in the area. I want to rent for a year to get a feel for the area first before I buy.. I have a 5 year old daughter in Kindergarten. Schools are very important to me. Should I live in Duluth or John's Creek? My rental budget is $1300. My job will be off of Boggs Rd 30096. Thanks!
Since you will be working in Duluth, you should most likely make every effort to live as close as possible to your job in Duluth so that you might attempt to minimize your exposure to the very heavy traffic congestion that is a part of life in the heavily developed and heavily populated northeastern part of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

If you decide to live close to your job in the Duluth 30096 zip code, look for housing in the clusters of the award-winning Gwinnett County Public Schools system that are anchored by Duluth and Peachtree Ridge high schools.

You can also look to see what housing options you might be able to find in the clusters of the Gwinnett County Public Schools system anchored by North Gwinnett and Brookwood high schools... Two schools and clusters which are amongst some of the absolute most highly regarded clusters of public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,365,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Since you will be working in Duluth, you should most likely make every effort to live as close as possible to your job in Duluth so that you might attempt to minimize your exposure to the very heavy traffic congestion that is a part of life in the heavily developed and heavily populated northeastern part of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

If you decide to live close to your job in the Duluth 30096 zip code, look for housing in the clusters of the award-winning Gwinnett County Public Schools system that are anchored by Duluth and Peachtree Ridge high schools.

You can also look to see what housing options you might be able to find in the clusters of the Gwinnett County Public Schools system anchored by North Gwinnett and Brookwood high schools... Two schools and clusters which are amongst some of the absolute most highly regarded clusters of public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.

Anything in Gwinnett to Boggs Rd wouldn't be too bad but I don't think there are any apartments in the Brookwood cluster (something residents have fought since the beginning of time).

Peachtree Ridge is pretty good. A little better than Duluth HS. N. Gwinnett HS is really good. I'd look there first and see if anything is in your budget.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM

8,006 posts, read 9,859,187 times
General rule: the further you get away from I-85, the better the housing stock. West is generally a better direction to go then east.

There are exceptions. This is a general rule.

Boggs Road is commonly known among Gwinnett police as a hotbed of crime. Not violent crime, more like property theft at the apartment complexes. An officer once told me it's wise to avoid that area, even though it looks fine.

I hate to use zip codes as a guide, but I'd feel better about most things in 30097 than 30096.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Thanks

Old Today, 06:59 AM

1,185 posts, read 930,327 times
Definitely Duluth over Johns Creek for the simple reason that having to cross the Chattahoochee River will add 15-20 minutes to your commute. Also, generally, rent on that side of the river is higher.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Definitely Duluth over Johns Creek for the simple reason that having to cross the Chattahoochee River will add 15-20 minutes to your commute. Also, generally, rent on that side of the river is higher.

Thanks, I was wondering about the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta