U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 AM

8,123 posts, read 9,958,384 times

Advertisements

I'm really curious about Moonraker apartments.

For those who aren't familiar, Moonraker is the stuff of legend. I have no idea how much of this is true, but based on what I've heard, Moonraker was:

- Off I-75, on Delk Road
- Built by Penthouse founder Bob Guccione
- Apartments were geared for the "bachelor" lifestyle, with things like sunken living rooms and maybe wet bars?

What I'd like to know is how much of Moonrker's reputation was true?

Was it really a swinging party complex, or was that just marketing?

Did Guccione really own them?

If it was a party complex, what made it so? Was it just young people, or was it like models and strippers having wild sex parties all the time?

I haven't heard much about them in recent decades. But when I first came to Atlanta in the 90s, Moonraker was the stuff of legends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM

6,000 posts, read 5,299,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

For those who aren't familiar, Moonraker is the stuff of legend. I have no idea how much of this is true, but based on what I've heard, Moonraker was:

- Off I-75, on Delk Road
- Apartments were geared for the "bachelor" lifestyle, with things like sunken living rooms and maybe wet bars?

If it was a party complex, what made it so? Was it just young people, or was it like models and strippers having wild sex parties all the time?

I haven't heard much about them in recent decades. But when I first came to Atlanta in the 90s, Moonraker was the stuff of legends.
While I cannot completely confirm anything, I have also heard from multiple people who lived in Atlanta in that era (circa-late 1970's) that an apartment complex like Moonraker was much more along the lines of a swinging complex that was filled with young professional singles (including a few single Falcons players from that era) in their mid-late 20's and very early 30's than anything involving models and strippers as we might think of it today.

I've heard from multiple sources that the Moonraker apartment complex was built and originally owned by Penthouse founder Bob Guccione, but I cannot confirm that information.

I've also heard that the Moonraker apartment complex was geared for "bachelor" lifestyle with things like sunken living rooms and wet bars.

The Moonraker apartments complex (which I think was built circa-1975, if I am correct) is now known as "Jasmine at Marietta Crossing" and was completely renovated sometime in the late 1990's. The complex is off of the northeast corner of the I-75 and Delk Road interchange behind the McDonald's, the Shell gas station and the Rodeway Inn & Suites motel.

Riverbend apartments (which I think is now known as "Walton-on-the-Chattahoochee" apartments) in the Cumberland area had an even bigger (and famous/infamous) reputation of being a 'swinging singles' complex during the 1970's than did a complex like Moonraker.

"Sundown at the Oasis" (which was only a blocks east of Moonraker apartments off of Delk Road) and "Tahoe" apartments in Clarkston were some other suburban apartment complexes that had reputations for being 'swinging singles' complexes during that era.

Here is a link to a 2011 article by current New Yorker magazine and former Atlanta Magazine writer/journalist Charles Bethea about Arthur Jeryl Hensley who ran the clubhouse at Riverbend back during the heyday of Atlanta's famous/infamous 'swinging singles' scene back in the 1970's:

"Death of a Swinger" (Charles Bethea for Brevity magazine, Sept 2011)

Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,041,655 times
Sounds like a pretty interesting place!

Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM

5,145 posts, read 4,174,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

- Off I-75, on Delk Road

Moonraker?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:50 AM

28,785 posts, read 25,607,461 times
I'd say B2R's summary is accurate (as usual). Riverbend was a real hot spot for young folks of that era.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

1 posts
I lived at Moonraker in 1979. I was 19 yrs old and roomed with a 'girl' friend of mine (I am female) and yes, what you have heard is pretty much true, although I don't know about the ownership at the time. We didn't engage in any type of 'swinging activity', and I don't really know that 'swinging' would be the term, as the majority of people who rented there were young and single (under 30) . It was one of the best places to live at the time if you liked the party life! I believe the drinking age at that time was 18, so you can imagine! The pool was always packed! Many people at the pool/clubhouse didn't even live there. Our apartment did have the sunken living room, which was one of the features that attracted renters at the time. It was a great place to experience! The other top place was Riverbend apartments off of Powers Ferry which I never lived at, but frequented often. Right on the river, parties every day/night, etc...River rafting was HUGE at that time, so Riverbend was the hot spot!

Old Today, 09:19 AM

8,123 posts, read 9,958,384 times
Thanks for the info!

When you say river rafting, I assume you mean people just jumping in the Chatthoochee with floaties, not driving up to Tennessee for white water rafting, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or