U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
 
7,997 posts, read 9,852,338 times
Reputation: 5953

Advertisements

So says WalletHub.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georg...ad2GdONFJv01N/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
 
28,625 posts, read 25,405,160 times
Reputation: 9883
Pretty neat, and really not all that surprising. The ATL suburbs continue to become increasingly sophisticated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
 
7,997 posts, read 9,852,338 times
Reputation: 5953
I'm not surprised either. Because it looks like WalletHub is using the actual definition of diversity, not the meaning people often assign to it here.

I still would have thought Duluth or Suwanee would score higher, but the data is the data.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree that diversity is always synonymous with sophistication, but your point is taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
 
2,535 posts, read 1,210,457 times
Reputation: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not surprised either. Because it looks like WalletHub is using the actual definition of diversity, not the meaning people often assign to it here.

I still would have thought Duluth or Suwanee would score higher, but the data is the data.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree that diversity is always synonymous with sophistication, but your point is taken.

I was a little surprised. I thought it would have been Clarkston.


Yeah, when I saw that word used I wasn't sure if maybe there was another way to use sophistication that I am unaware of. It's kind of like in real estate when they say, "These properties tend to draw higher quality tenants." It means higher income but the way it's worded can mean higher income individuals=higher quality (better character) people, which is obviously derogatory towards poor/working class/middle class.



For now I'll assume there is another definition to sophistication that I am unaware of because I don't like to make assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,782 posts, read 8,945,565 times
Reputation: 5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Yeah, when I saw that word used I wasn't sure if maybe there was another way to use sophistication that I am unaware of. It's kind of like in real estate when they say, "These properties tend to draw higher quality tenants." It means higher income but the way it's worded can mean higher income individuals=higher quality (better character) people, which is obviously derogatory towards poor/working class/middle class.
I believe in this context, "sophisticated" does not really apply to economics, smarter, higher quality people. To me, it is akin to saying "my Mac is more sophisticated than my calculator." It is more complex. It is more built out. It is more developed. It is more functional.

That's my interpretation of the word's use in arjay's thread. And he would be right - the burbs are becoming more complex, more built, with more living options, more amenities and more opportunities than previously. I don't think that means the folks in the burbs are more sophisticated than the folks intown, by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
 
2,535 posts, read 1,210,457 times
Reputation: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I believe in this context, "sophisticated" does not really apply to economics, smarter, higher quality people. To me, it is akin to saying "my Mac is more sophisticated than my calculator." It is more complex. It is more built out. It is more developed. It is more functional.

That's my interpretation of the word's use in arjay's thread. And he would be right - the burbs are becoming more complex, more built, with more living options, more amenities and more opportunities than previously. I don't think that means the folks in the burbs are more sophisticated than the folks intown, by any stretch of the imagination.

Good...glad I didn't assume. Between you and me, I was going to do a thread on the forum about how people imagine others on the Atlanta forum. My first post would have been that I secretly confuse you and Arjay but I don't want to get off topic and so perhaps one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
 
4,387 posts, read 4,266,168 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not surprised either. Because it looks like WalletHub is using the actual definition of diversity, not the meaning people often assign to it here.

I still would have thought Duluth or Suwanee would score higher, but the data is the data.

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree that diversity is always synonymous with sophistication, but your point is taken.
Wonder what's the criteria because

Duluth 2010
48.7% White,
20.2% African American
22.3% Asian
14.0% Hispanic

Mean while Johns Creek 2010
63.5 percent White;
23.4 percent Asian
9.2 percent African American;
5.2 percent Hispanic

Duluth overtly does seem it be a lot more diverse. Duluth is minority majority or no majority with 3 groups above 20%, and 4 above 10%

While John Creek does have a majority group white at 63% and only 1 other group above 10%.

Either the recent estimates for demographics change drastically since 2010, or either they are using a weird metric. Maybe there throwing some weird monkey ranch like age, income or something. cause base ethnicity, religion, Nationality and etc. It's very off. I wouldn't say "WalletHub" is using the actual definition of diversity, they using some weird metric and this publication is misleading. but I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
 
7,997 posts, read 9,852,338 times
Reputation: 5953
I think they are probably drilling down to ethnicities at a more granular level than the big 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
 
1,611 posts, read 652,794 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Wonder what's the criteria because

Duluth 2010
48.7% White,
20.2% African American
22.3% Asian
14.0% Hispanic

Mean while Johns Creek 2010
63.5 percent White;
23.4 percent Asian
9.2 percent African American;
5.2 percent Hispanic

Duluth overtly does seem it be a lot more diverse. Duluth is minority majority or no majority with 3 groups above 20%, and 4 above 10%

While John Creek does have a majority group white at 63% and only 1 other group above 10%.

Either the recent estimates for demographics change drastically since 2010, or either they are using a weird metric. Maybe there throwing some weird monkey ranch like age, income or something. cause base ethnicity, religion, Nationality and etc. It's very off. I wouldn't say "WalletHub" is using the actual definition of diversity, they using some weird metric and this publication is misleading. but I don't know.
Agreed.

The OP's analysis is definitely flawed.

Not to mention, it left a ton of other Metro Atlanta cities out of the analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
 
5,878 posts, read 5,209,614 times
Reputation: 3936
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Wonder what's the criteria because

Duluth 2010
48.7% White,
20.2% African American
22.3% Asian
14.0% Hispanic

Mean while Johns Creek 2010
63.5 percent White;
23.4 percent Asian
9.2 percent African American;
5.2 percent Hispanic

Duluth overtly does seem it be a lot more diverse. Duluth is minority majority or no majority with 3 groups above 20%, and 4 above 10%

While John Creek does have a majority group white at 63% and only 1 other group above 10%.

Either the recent estimates for demographics change drastically since 2010, or either they are using a weird metric. Maybe there throwing some weird monkey ranch like age, income or something. cause base ethnicity, religion, Nationality and etc. It's very off. I wouldn't say "WalletHub" is using the actual definition of diversity, they using some weird metric and this publication is misleading. but I don't know.
That is a really good assessment that the demographics of communities like Duluth and Johns Creek appear to have changed somewhat noticeably since 2010.

This was the demographic makeup of those communities as of 2017:

Duluth proper 2017
36.0% non-Hispanic/Latino White
23.1% African-American
25.7% Asian
13.2% Hispanic (Latino)

Johns Creek proper 2017
55.0% non-Hispanic/Latino White
9.4% African-American
26.7% Asian
6.4% Hispanic (Latino)

But even with the demographic changes of the two communities since 2010, your point stands that Duluth still appears to be the more diverse community than Johns Creek.

As of 2017, racial and ethnic minorities appeared to be much more well-represented in the population in Duluth proper (64% racial/ethnic minority population) than in Johns Creek (45% racial/ethnic minority population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top