U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:44 AM

4 posts

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation on a home inspector in Alpharetta with exp. in settling basements, prior to a purchase

Also I noticed some settlements in the yards dirt, patches like pot holes and wondering if they were a signal for something more serious.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:57 AM

4 posts
Default Large Sink holes in yard - can this be a risk - whom to call?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a house with a less that .40 acrs yard, I observed 4 or 5 sink holes around the house in the yard and it was concerning to me, since I saw some settlement cracks in the basement.

How would I know if there are any under the basement? How to investigate and whom to call

Old Today, 05:58 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,955,513 times
I’m not sure without something like ground penetrating radar how you could really see the extent of any sinkholes. I would walk away from this one unless the settling is due to an old septic tank.

Settlement cracks are easy for any qualified inspector, as long as they are from the original settling and aren’t getting worse.

How old is the house?

Old Today, 10:31 AM

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Iím not sure without something .....
How old is the house?
Thanks for the input @MarkJames68, the house was constructed in 2000, so that puts it at 19 yrs.

The two sink holes are at a distance of ~40 ft from the house. First one is seems from the removal of a tree suspecting the root rot: and second, another close to the lower part of the lot. House sits 40 ft away from it and the basement is about 15ft higher/above this hole in height.

While walking in the basement I observed cracks, after reading more it seems that cracks are common from settlement, but I would like to know before purchase.

I really like your idea of the ground penetrating radar, is it easy to use? should I rent or buy one?

Old Today, 11:38 AM

5,308 posts, read 2,955,513 times
For what it's worth I just bought a home close to the same age in Milton. I'm on septic so that's one consideration, but I imagine the house you are looking at is on public water and sewer.

If the basement is unfinished (good in this case), I would call an inspector. I will PM you the name of the one I used, who was solid. He will take moisture readings all around as well as take a look at any settling. Unlike say in Florida I'm unaware of any major sinkhole issues in Alpharetta.

Old Today, 11:42 AM

4 posts
Sure thing, please do refer.

Yes the basement is unfinished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or