U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

1,617 posts, read 660,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You forgot the most important prediction: UGA will win College Football's national championship by 2024!
Important to who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

9,788 posts, read 8,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Important to who?
You're funny!

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

28,671 posts, read 25,940,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
What if we're wrong about our projections? The projections are entirely based on the general growth pattern of the 50s through the early 2010s continuing to occur, but it seems like things are shifting. To me, that future seems a lot less certain than it did five years ago.
Interesting since 5 years ago Atlanta was still in an economic funk caused by the recession, although slowly emerging from it.

I think that the shifting political winds (partly due to massive misinformation campaigns enabled by social media platforms) is primarily the source of your anxiety and that's understandable. The rise of populism has made for some interesting headlines in the past couple of years and it's a bit hard to see where exactly we're headed as a country. We're in uncharted waters and that will remain the case regardless of the outcomes of the next few national election cycles.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

4,390 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Quote:
This is just kind of a general thing I've been thinking about recently. Five years ago we were talking about Atlanta and Charlotte eventually merging into one giant megacity, Atlanta eventually becoming a metro of ~10 million, and we've kind of just expected this would just happen eventually because everything was running smoothly and had been for years.

What if we're wrong about our projections? The projections are entirely based on the general growth pattern of the 50s through the early 2010s continuing to occur, but it seems like things are shifting. To me, that future seems a lot less certain than it did five years ago. We talk a lot about sustainability in terms of the environment being affected negatively. What if it gets to the point where its affecting *us* so negatively that continuing in this same direction is no longer possible? I mean this in an incredibly broad sense, in terms of technology, the environment, the economy, our social connections, even things like education.

It seems like, at least from my perspective, that we're entering a time period where the systems as we know them can't continue to grow because of basic human limitations. If we're spending so much of our lives in traffic, a third of our lives in education before we can start working, hours on social media, etc., it seems like it's going to eventually require more out of us than is practical. Like we're building an ever-growing machine that eventually gets too complicated for us to be able to run. Does anyone else feel like this or is this just me overthinking again?

I have admittedly not been in a great thought space, worrying about all of this. I don't think it *has* to be doom and gloom though, that maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I just want to throw it out to y'all, where do you see Atlanta being in 15 years given the context of the increasing isolationist sentiment from the overwhelming nature of it all, whether that's manifested in Trump, Brexit, the backlash against big tech, etc.?
5 years the outlook was more negative then now because Atlanta was recovering the recessions, Atlanta is growing faster now than back then.

but no most of "gloom" thing is by Atlanta hatters or insure Atlanta who feed into Atlanta hatters, it's something literally always existed, I more optimistic about Atlanta future now then I was back then.

I don't know where you read 10 million everything I read from last Decade about Atlanta growth said 8+ million by 2040 and that by ARC conservative numbers.

Also

A megaregion not mega city......... those two different things,

A mega city is one metros area like Tokyo, New York, Mexico City.

A megaregion is a group a close or connection metro areas, like the Bos Worsh corridior.

If you didn't know Atlanta, Greenville CSA, Charlotte, Greensbaro-Winston Salem, Raleigh is "not going to be" but is already define as megaregion, The piedmont is already one most populated areas in the country. What Sociologists, economists and urban planners are saying the region is going to growth denser more populated. And that due to not just Atlanta alone but all the other cities are growing fast as well.

Current population

https://66.media.tumblr.com/60927157...qfwkzx_540.png

Greenville SC MSA is 895,923 and growing +8.71%, The CSA is already 1,347,112 but before 2030 it's metro is going be over a million by itself.

Old Today, 02:13 AM

4,110 posts, read 4,710,612 times
this got left in my reputation and i think it along with a lot of the other posts are kind of missing the point and just repeating what they already thought before they read the topic. really y'all i know what the political parties/general zeitgeist positions are. i'm talking about all of us.

Quote:
And when you figure-in Disadvantageous Immigration and Dysgenic Fertility, YES, the 'machine' will be too complicated for THE REPLACEMENT AMERICANS to maintain. Complex societies require high IQs.

Old Today, 03:55 AM

4,059 posts, read 3,411,243 times
Quote:
Feel free to tell me I'm just crazy too, frankly I'd rather that be the answer because it would mean I'm blowing things out of proportion and projecting my own personal issues onto the world.
I have heard of the the 1-85 corridor connecting from Charlotte through Greenville- Spartanburg and Atlanta one day. I believe all metro areas along I-85 will continue to grow. We often focus on Charlotte and Atlanta, but Greenville is experiencing unprecedented growth as well. The technology age is here to stay and those jobs are really task, algorithm and metric tracing driven, and measures how productive and effective an employee is. For those without technical skills-the glory days of good paying Industrial Age jobs, and hiring incompetent friends and family will become more obsolete, but the Technology Age jobs will continue to grow, however, the average person doesn’t have the proper skill sets required for the new and highly technical job. I think we will see more people giving the option to work from home - since software can track productivity. I am wondering how we handle additional water need in the region though.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

28,638 posts, read 25,424,450 times
In the future I'd like to see us focus more on quality than growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or