U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:18 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,641,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a way to pay for it. Whenever there is this war and that war, they always seem to "find the money."
Yeah, debt (which has also funded every war we've been in for the last century).

We are so screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:48 AM

8,048 posts, read 9,894,838 times
There are way too many ins and outs to a single payer system for it to go through on sheer political will alone. We have to wait until our current system totally implodes and there is no other choice. That's how it's going to go down.

Unfortunately, it's only going to happen after a lot of people have gone through a lot of pain. Just hope it happens before you really need it so you're not one of them.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 AM

73 posts, read 26,554 times
People have tried to get universal healthcare coverage for Americans for decades. Efforts are always blocked by physicians, big pharma, and the health insurance industry. I doubt we will have anything like it in my lifetime.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,641,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There are way too many ins and outs to a single payer system for it to go through on sheer political will alone. We have to wait until our current system totally implodes and there is no other choice. That's how it's going to go down.

Unfortunately, it's only going to happen after a lot of people have gone through a lot of pain. Just hope it happens before you really need it so you're not one of them.
I'm sure the quality of care will be top notch.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 AM

5,389 posts, read 2,991,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
I believe prescription drugs are not covered by the Canadian system. You need separate insurance.
Correct, there are public and private plans. I believe in some provincial plans children’s medication is covered and for seniors as well.

Note that while there is single payer, every province has their own health care plan. And each province or territory provides a different standard of care beyond the basics. You might get a triple bypass with zero net cost to you but the home after care might not be well done - or something you need to pay out of pocket for. Also, less “critical” issues are de-prioritized. For my relative with MS, she had to wait 11 months to get a MRI to confirm the diagnosis.

Where the Canadian system shines with single payer is that you don’t need hordes of back office billing and collections people in each doctor’s office to traverse the multitude of insurance companies, co-pays and co-insurance. You submit a bill to the province, it is paid.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 AM

5,929 posts, read 5,242,835 times
Default AJC/The Jolt: Renee Unterman inches towards a run for Congress

Disillusioned Republican Georgia state Senator Renee Unterman appears to be inching towards making a decision to run for the 7th Congressional District seat in 2020.

Unterman became motivated to run for the seat (which will be an open seat with incumbent Republican veteran Congressman Rob Woodall retiring after his current term ends in January 2021) after losing her committee chairmanships after her candidate for governor, previous Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle, lost in the GOP primary to eventual gubernatorial race winner Brian Kemp, whom Unterman has openly clashed with in the past.

Should Unterman decide to enter the race, there is a strong possibility that she would become the frontrunner in the GOP primary, and she would have a very strong shot at winning the general election with her focus on "kitchen table" issues like health care and sex trafficking that appeal strongly to the moderate and suburban female voters who are a dominant part of the electorate in the district.

The Jolt: Renee Unterman inches toward a run for Congress (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 02-24-2019, 10:36 AM

1,339 posts, read 702,090 times
Universal healthcare would be much cheaper than our current system. We already all pay the burden for having our pathetically underinsured population - we have to pay for all of the unpaid bills of the uninsured who show up at hospitals needing an amputation due to diabetes and months in the hospital when a $1 a month for metformin would have kept that from ever happening. We have to pay theough the economic loss of the sick/dying who cannot work or add to our economy because of medical bills. We pay by having no single entity who can negotiate fair drug and procedure prices.

A universal healthcare system would help EVERYONE, even the selfish people who already have insurance and don't care about helping others will benefit from it.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:15 PM

15,109 posts, read 27,103,869 times
Discussions about Medicare and universal healthcare are appropriate for other forums. This forum is for Atlanta centric threads.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 PM

4,637 posts, read 3,055,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with Medicare for all as long as people have a way to pay for it. It took us a lifetime of hard work and annual contributions to get there.
We pay for insurance now. That's no different than paying towards single payer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Yeah, debt (which has also funded every war we've been in for the last century).

We are so screwed.
How so? How much do you currently pay for health insurance? And then on top of that, how much do you pay for copays, coinsurance, deductibles, and everything else? My insurance alone, managed by BCBS of Georgia, is around $10,400 per year. Then we have to pay on top of that for every visit. I ended up in the hospital a few years ago for some huge blisters that grew on my feet. No one could figure out what was going on or why they grew. They didn't do anything for them. I had no procedures, surgeries, major tests, or anything. I was there for two days. The cost? Over $15,000, of which I had to pay about $1,700 out of pocket.

If that same money went towards a universal system, which in every part of the world costs much less, it would more than pay for itself. I would save money, still get the care for my family when we need it, and wouldn't have to worry about bankruptcy over a minor medical issue. This is the way every other developed country works, and they are not dying in the streets or piling on massive debt. They are not tied to their job because it's the only way they can stay insured. They are not fearful of falling on a sidewalk and spending the next 15 years paying the bill. They don't put off basic doctor visits because they can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'm sure the quality of care will be top notch.
Most countries with single payer systems have care that is on par, or better than the United States. And for a fraction of the cost.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,228,443 times
I agree. Among countries that are considered developed, the U.S. has among the highest if not the highest health care costs. Moving towards a universal system would be more cost effective. Wow! $15,000...crazy. I was abroad and had an injury. The amount of money I'd have had to spend would easily have gone over $1000 here in Atlanta. I ended up spending no more than $100 and that was for private care.

For real! I haven't seen a doctor in years. The last time I went I think I had to pay $200 (or maybe more I don't remember) for the visit and blood work and that doctor was actually very affordable. People worry about the cost of getting sick here versus actually being sick. We may have the best health care but so many can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
We pay for insurance now. That's no different than paying towards single payer.

How so? How much do you currently pay for health insurance? And then on top of that, how much do you pay for copays, coinsurance, deductibles, and everything else? My insurance alone, managed by BCBS of Georgia, is around $10,400 per year. Then we have to pay on top of that for every visit. I ended up in the hospital a few years ago for some huge blisters that grew on my feet. No one could figure out what was going on or why they grew. They didn't do anything for them. I had no procedures, surgeries, major tests, or anything. I was there for two days. The cost? Over $15,000, of which I had to pay about $1,700 out of pocket.

If that same money went towards a universal system, which in every part of the world costs much less, it would more than pay for itself. I would save money, still get the care for my family when we need it, and wouldn't have to worry about bankruptcy over a minor medical issue. This is the way every other developed country works, and they are not dying in the streets or piling on massive debt. They are not tied to their job because it's the only way they can stay insured. They are not fearful of falling on a sidewalk and spending the next 15 years paying the bill. They don't put off basic doctor visits because they can't afford it.

Most countries with single payer systems have care that is on par, or better than the United States. And for a fraction of the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or