U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 PM

488 posts, read 407,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Thatís the worst part of Howell Mill traffic. I would not recommend that area. The area north of the Publix is really nice though but itís mostly SFHs that are pricey. Buckhead is associated with money so people like to flex by saying they live in Buckhead.
What are your thoughts on the O4W? At first glance I am not enamored by the area but it has been recommended to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM

175 posts, read 77,470 times
I would guess you are in your 20's. Atlanta is a cool place but definitely has a smaller feel than Boston or NYC. If you like outdoors there are some great outdoor things to do like hike, bike, and kayak/canoe. Right now the hottest area intown is the Eastside beltline. It's a paved path with tons of restaurants and bars alongside. I think Atlanta has a lot of cool neighborhoods like Decatur, Oakhurst, East Atlanta, Little 5 points, Inman park, and Virginia Highlands. I was in Atlanta in the 90's and the music scene was really hot here and in Athens. It seemed like every week there was a local or good out of town band playing. I think the music scene has cooled down other than the hip-hop scene. I think it's a great sports town with Atlanta United, Braves, Falcons, Ga Tech, and UGA.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 PM

570 posts, read 283,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
What are your thoughts on the O4W? At first glance I am not enamored by the area but it has been recommended to me
They are referring to the area around Ponce City Market and the Beltline. Apartments around it are not cheap. Very desirable. A few blocks to the left not as much.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM
bu2

9,440 posts, read 6,046,598 times
Quote:
Ok this is something an example of something I'm definitely gonna need to adjust to. Yall have about 900 different neighborhoods in Atlanta, seems like every 3 blocks is a different neighborhood... except most of the city doesn't seem to have blocks

But yea I'm talking about this area

is that howell mill ?

I don't eat fast food but there's a publix right there. i tend to assume fast food = reasonable rents, trendy restaurants = high rents, however that may not be the case in Atlanta. I also heard somewhere this area is considered Buckhead and Buckhead = safe...

Side question... is it just me or is Buckhead a solid 1/3rd of the city
Sounds like you got it down!

Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 3,055,642 times
Quote:
Ok this is something an example of something I'm definitely gonna need to adjust to. Yall have about 900 different neighborhoods in Atlanta, seems like every 3 blocks is a different neighborhood... except most of the city doesn't seem to have blocks
Yep. We have one neighborhood, Atkins Park, that is literally three streets under 1/4 mile long. The entire neighborhood is only 34 acres. And people can get pretty defensive over these names.

Quote:
But yea I'm talking about this area

is that howell mill ?
That is the northern end of the business part of Howell Mill Rd. Underwood Hills and Berkeley Park are south of I-75, while Wildwood is north of I-75. However, I have never once heard anyone call the area Wildwood, and that's one of my most frequented areas, as I live up the road a couple of miles.

Further down south on Howell Mill about a mile and a half if the area known as West Midtown, although it compromises parts of about 5 official neighborhoods (Blandtown, Home Park, Marietta Street Artery, and a corner of Berkeley Park). Almost nobody refers to that area by the official neighborhood names, since their centers of activity are elsewhere.

Quote:
I don't eat fast food but there's a publix right there. i tend to assume fast food = reasonable rents, trendy restaurants = high rents, however that may not be the case in Atlanta. I also heard somewhere this area is considered Buckhead and Buckhead = safe...
That is generally true. If you have trendy, big-name-chef, $40-for-two-ounces-of-food restaurants, you'll likely have higher rents in the area. The rents in the West Midtown area look to be around $1,400-$1,800 a month for a 1-bedroom, and a little less for a studio. Apartments in Millworks up at Howell Mill/75 are a little less per month, at about $1,300 for a 1-bedroom and $1,400-$1,900 for a 2-bedroom. The Pointe is a little higher. Further up Collier at The Reserve, 1 bedrooms also appear to be $1,400 and up. One bedrooms are similar in the O4W area, while 2 bedrooms appear to be somewhat higher.

If you did live up on the northern section of Howell Mill, that Publix is fine if you are walking. It's literally the worst-designed parking lot in human existence if you are driving. I avoid that store at all costs.

The area along Howell Mill is one of the safer business areas of town.

Quote:
Side question... is it just me or is Buckhead a solid 1/3rd of the city
Yup. Buckhead encompasses many neighborhoods.

Quote:
O4W is neat, but in my personal opinion, it's just not my thing. It's much more trendy and urban. I find the selection in West Midtown more to my liking.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yep. We have one neighborhood, Atkins Park, that is literally three streets under 1/4 mile long. The entire neighborhood is only 34 acres. And people can get pretty defensive over these names.

Thank you for the thorough response. What are your thoughts on Downtown? Everyone on this site seems to emphasize midtown and ignore or trash downtown on here but the Downtown area actually looks more urban and dense than midtown based on google maps

Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 AM

9,818 posts, read 8,981,458 times
Quote:
Thank you for the thorough response. What are your thoughts on Downtown? Everyone on this site seems to emphasize midtown and ignore or trash downtown on here but the Downtown area actually looks more urban and dense than midtown based on google maps
Downtown is great, yet "under development." Midtown has more homes, apartments and condos and, in my opinion, is more of a residential area than is downtown. Midtown is home to Atlanta's signature urban green space, Piedmont Park, and many restaurants and bars. Midtown is also the home of Atlanta's arts scene.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 AM
bu2

9,440 posts, read 6,046,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Downtown is great, yet "under development." Midtown has more homes, apartments and condos and, in my opinion, is more of a residential area than is downtown. Midtown is home to Atlanta's signature urban green space, Piedmont Park, and many restaurants and bars. Midtown is also the home of Atlanta's arts scene.
Midtown is nice urban. Downtown is trashy urban.

They are trying to redevelop some areas. There's one big project in South downtown (there's a thread on here somewhere). But much of downtown is still pretty sketchy at night.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Midtown is nice urban. Downtown is trashy urban.

They are trying to redevelop some areas. There's one big project in South downtown (there's a thread on here somewhere). But much of downtown is still pretty sketchy at night.
What are your thoughts on Inman Park? It's a little far from school but seems like a popular area

Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM

3,371 posts, read 8,507,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I'm surprised (not offended) at your middle of nowhere comment? Day trips are virtually endless, to include both oceans and mountains. In under 5 hours you can go to: Charleston, Savannah, Greenville, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Florida, Birmingham, Smoky Mountains, the Ocean, etc.
Right!? haha, well you have to understand and remember that New England is very small geographically, compared to other parts of the country. So in an hour in New England you can be to all sorts of cities and attractions, whereas in the midwest, south and west, it would take 2-3 hours.

So in New Englanders' heads sometimes, all other cities and geographies look very isolated, outside of the NE region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or