U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 PM

477 posts, read 401,704 times

Advertisements

Gonna be moving to Atlanta this fall from Boston for school. 26y/o male lived in greater Boston my whole life.

What can I expect from the city compared to here? How are the women? (priorities) How is the culture ? I understand this is a big music / festival city, is there truth to that? I am a serious musician as well so this is a priority to me.

What are some good places to live near Georgia Tech? I was surprised that prices aren't much better than Boston (they are better though). How is the Collier Hills / Howell Mills area? There are some reasonable apartments in that area. What about West Midtown? What are some places to avoid in that area?

Will it be easy to meet friends and make a social circle down there? Of course I can meet other students but I am coming from a well established, diverse social circle cultivated over a quarter century and I am hoping to make friends and meet people besides just other students.

Where do people in Atlanta go for day trips? On the map it pretty much looks like a city in the middle of nowhere (no offence) but I'm sure there are local hotspots and the coast / Nashville seem to be in striking distance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 01:26 PM

952 posts, read 876,618 times
Atlanta has a lot of trees, with windy 2 lane roads. Parts are definitely still urban, but it will lack the urbanity that you may be used to in Boston. It's also very much a car dependent city. I love how laid back it is, and how chatty strangers/neighbors are. The 4 season climate is tough to beat, so I think you'll very much appreciate that. This week notwithstanding, it's simultaneously a sunny city that gets quite a bit of rain.

I don't know the GA Tech areas really well, but I have several young coworkers that rent in West Midtown/Howell Mill area and they really enjoy it there.

I'm surprised (not offended) at your middle of nowhere comment? Day trips are virtually endless, to include both oceans and mountains. In under 5 hours you can go to: Charleston, Savannah, Greenville, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Florida, Birmingham, Smoky Mountains, the Ocean, etc.

I would say that making friends is directly dependent on the effort you put in. As someone who recently moved here, this will come off as work for someone who is leaving his/her comfort zone. But I've found Atlantans to be transient and friendly and very open to new friendships. Welcome!

Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM

9,811 posts, read 8,973,536 times
Hey, Space_League. Been there done that (albeit 30 years ago!). Loved Boston very much - but for its winters, I would have remained there.

Atlanta is a great city; however, it is a different city than Boston. Our rail transit system is not near as robust as Boston's T. Further, Atlanta is not near as walkable as Boston, and, thus, does not have the extent of street level retail, bars, restaurants as does Boston. Of course, Atlanta also does not have the water front attractions and amenities that Boston has. And, alas, we do not a perennially great baseball, football or basketball team!!!

You will find that Atlanta is a half day drive to both the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico coasts. Not so bad. And, trust me, the waters in those two places are much nicer and warmer than those near Boston (and, in places, as crystal clear and beautiful as the Carribean)! Atlanta is also but an hour or two car ride away from the beautiful and quaint communities of northern Georgia in the Appalachian mountain range - a beautiful and interesting part of the state with a lot of outdoors activities.

We are also close to Chattanooga, TN, a very nice small city on the Georgia - Tennessee border, with lots of great places to see and things to do. We are not far from Asheville, NC, an artsy town near the well known Biltmore Estate.

I found it very easy to meet folks and make friends in Atlanta - probably easier than in Boston. I doubt you'll have a problem at all.

Atlanta offers a wide variety of places to live - especially for someone who is in their 20s and single. Not knowing about your budget, you will likely do well in Collier Hills / Howell Mill areas, as well as in Midtown and Buckhead. There are many other areas that are wonderful, as well. You should come down for a long weekend and tour the area. We have very good restaurants (though, our seafood offerings are far slimmer than Boston's and there is nothing here on par with the North End when it comes to Italian, sadly), numerous bars, great shopping, a good arts scene (both classical as well as what passes for art in the 21st century!). I cannot speak to the music scene outside of the opera and symphony, both of which are excellent. We also have a handful of good museums (but don't expect the Boston Museum of Fine Art or the Science Museum).

You'll like it here, I promise you. It's not Boston, so don't expect it to be. Simply enjoy and appreciate Atlanta for the city it is and you'll be just fine.

By the way, are you attending Georgia Tech? If so, congratulations! It is a fine institution.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM

569 posts, read 281,864 times
I love the Westside Provisions area. If you want to live in West Midtown I’d live there. There are a lot of developments going up around that area so traffic might be a little hectic. I’m around your age so I would definitely look there.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I love the Westside Provisions area. If you want to live in West Midtown Iíd live there. There are a lot of developments going up around that area so traffic might be a little hectic. Iím around your age so I would definitely look there.
Well I know nothing about the area except that it's near school and there are a lot of rentals available.

what do you love about it ?

Old 02-21-2019, 04:06 PM

4,621 posts, read 3,048,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
What are some good places to live near Georgia Tech? I was surprised that prices aren't much better than Boston (they are better though). How is the Collier Hills / Howell Mills area? There are some reasonable apartments in that area. What about West Midtown? What are some places to avoid in that area?
There are no apartments in Collier Hills...it's an upscale SFH area. You might be referring to Underwood Hills and Wildwood, which is to the west of Howell Mill around I75. It's a pretty nice area with a fair selection of places to eat, although it's more heavily geared to fast food. There are a few good places like Malaya, La Parilla, Flying Biscuit, Howell's Kitchen, and more. Down Collier 3/4 mile, you can find Das BBQ, Verde Taqueria, Big Easy Grill, Figo, DePalma's Porch, and more. It's not walkable in the sense of wide, protected sidewalks with tree-lined buffers, and street-front shops. But there are sidewalks.

Down in West Midtown (some purists here will scold you for using such a name), there's much more going on. A nearly endless array of restaurants and bars along Howell Mill, and fast food options 1/4 mile over on Northside.

This is all very convenient to Georgia Tech.

Quote:
Where do people in Atlanta go for day trips? On the map it pretty much looks like a city in the middle of nowhere (no offence) but I'm sure there are local hotspots and the coast / Nashville seem to be in striking distance
It might appear to be in the middle of nowhere, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In less than two hours, you can be settled into a mountain cabin, hiking on national forest trails, tubing/padding on a whitewater river, or boating on a large lake. In about 3-4 hours, you can be up in the NC mountains with skiing options. And in about five hours, you can be on either the Atlantic of Gulf coast at your choice of beach towns. Within a 1.5-4 hours, there are also smaller cities to visit like Chattanooga, Asheville, and Savannah. Nashville's about 4.5 hours away. If you're a college football fan, Athens, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Clemson, and more are within a few hours.

There is no shortage of things to do or places to go. It's not like were in the middle of Kansas.

Quote:
I love the Westside Provisions area. If you want to live in West Midtown Iíd live there. There are a lot of developments going up around that area so traffic might be a little hectic. Iím around your age so I would definitely look there.
It can be a little hectic at peak times, and you may not be able to just drive right through, but generally it's not that bad.

I agree...if I was in my mid 20s and single (ahhh...), the area around Howell Mill and 14th-10th would be my ground zero.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well I know nothing about the area except that it's near school and there are a lot of rentals available.

what do you love about it ?
Tons of restaurants, bars, shopping. Stuff to do. Hereís a cool article of whatís coming up in that area. Plus the largest park in Atlanta will be opening up a few miles away next year, Westside Park.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
There are no apartments in Collier Hills...it's an upscale SFH area. You might be referring to Underwood Hills and Wildwood, which is to the west of Howell Mill around I75.
Ok this is something an example of something I'm definitely gonna need to adjust to. Yall have about 900 different neighborhoods in Atlanta, seems like every 3 blocks is a different neighborhood... except most of the city doesn't seem to have blocks

But yea I'm talking about this area

is that howell mill ?

I don't eat fast food but there's a publix right there. i tend to assume fast food = reasonable rents, trendy restaurants = high rents, however that may not be the case in Atlanta. I also heard somewhere this area is considered Buckhead and Buckhead = safe...

Side question... is it just me or is Buckhead a solid 1/3rd of the city

Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Ok this is something an example of something I'm definitely gonna need to adjust to. Yall have about 900 different neighborhoods in Atlanta, seems like every 3 blocks is a different neighborhood... except most of the city doesn't seem to have blocks

But yea I'm talking about this area

is that howell mill ?

I don't eat fast food but there's a publix right there. i tend to assume fast food = reasonable rents, trendy restaurants = high rents, however that may not be the case in Atlanta. I also heard somewhere this area is considered Buckhead and Buckhead = safe...

Side question... is it just me or is Buckhead a solid 1/3rd of the city
Thatís the worst part of Howell Mill traffic. I would not recommend that area. The area north of the Publix is really nice though but itís mostly SFHs that are pricey. Buckhead is associated with money so people like to flex by saying they live in Buckhead.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thatís the worst part of Howell Mill traffic. I would not recommend that area. The area north of the Publix is really nice though but itís mostly SFHs that are pricey. Buckhead is associated with money so people like to flex by saying they live in Buckhead.
Makes sense. I will look more into the West Midtown area . It's crazy that some of these neighborhoods are developing so fast that google streetview even from 2017 can't really capture what the area looks like today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or