U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

286 posts, read 108,828 times

Advertisements

An east-west transit line across the top of metro Atlanta would be financially sound and could happen relatively quickly, a study commissioned by seven metro Atlanta mayors concluded.

The project, which could eventually connect Northlake Mall in Tucker to Cumberland Parkway in Smyrna using managed lanes on I-285, is still in its preliminary stages. But those city leaders who have been championing an east-west connection said they were happy to learn that the concept was cost effective, as long as it didnít use fixed rails.

Mayors from Cobb, Fulton and DeKalb counties have been involved in the discussions, and proposed stops along the route could include the Bravesí SunTrust Park and The Battery, Roswell Road and I-285, Perimeter Mall and the Assembly project at the Doraville MARTA station..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...hPPX4chKLwRdM/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

28,648 posts, read 25,436,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
An east-west transit line across the top of metro Atlanta would be financially sound and could happen relatively quickly, a study commissioned by seven metro Atlanta mayors concluded.

The project, which could eventually connect Northlake Mall in Tucker to Cumberland Parkway in Smyrna using managed lanes on I-285, is still in its preliminary stages. But those city leaders who have been championing an east-west connection said they were happy to learn that the concept was cost effective, as long as it didnít use fixed rails.

Mayors from Cobb, Fulton and DeKalb counties have been involved in the discussions, and proposed stops along the route could include the Bravesí SunTrust Park and The Battery, Roswell Road and I-285, Perimeter Mall and the Assembly project at the Doraville MARTA station..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...hPPX4chKLwRdM/

SOURCE: AJC
Wow!!

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

6,146 posts, read 3,158,998 times
Could be good, but the part that bothers me though, is that the only way you're going to connect with the Red Line is to have the bus exit the lanes and navigate on surface roads to either Medical Center or Dunwoody station. I mean unless they spend big money on a tunnel or something, which they won't because that's the whole point of this.

Wish there was a Red station right on 285, like Doraville is. Where you could potentially have direct transfer access between the train platform and a quality inline BRT station, with a short walk all under one shelter.

In general I'm all for this if it's done well. Not excited if it's not done well. BRT running in managed lanes could be fine, but it's the stations that need to be rapid and direct for this to be good, not like a regular bus that gets off at the exit with the cars.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 579,587 times
meh, sounds like more BRT nonsense.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,629,769 times
Mixed-traffic BRT using GDOT express lanes.

Yawn.

Old Today, 06:36 AM

6 posts, read 1,081 times
It should have never even been an option for the top end express lanes to not include transit. BRT in the lanes with dedicated exit ramps would be very useful to many in the metro. The idea that the state would spend multiple billions on a project through that area that connects Buckhead perimeter center and Cumberland without transit is still pretty sickening to me.

Old Today, 06:43 AM

416 posts, read 204,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
It should have never even been an option for the top end express lanes to not include transit. BRT in the lanes with dedicated exit ramps would be very useful to many in the metro. The idea that the state would spend multiple billions on a project through that area that connects Buckhead perimeter center and Cumberland without transit is still pretty sickening to me.
What? You do know this is Georgia right. Lol.

Old Today, 07:43 AM

22,877 posts, read 16,861,236 times
Quote:
Over the next several months, Ernst said, the mayors will look at potential ridership numbers and consider options to pay for the project. City sales taxes and capturing property value increases in the immediate areas are among the considerations, but any cross-jurisdictional agreement would have to be approved by the General Assembly.
TODs?

Old Today, 07:54 AM

792 posts, read 372,508 times
Georgia: always reinventing the freaking wheel and patting themselves on the back for its forward thinking.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

28,648 posts, read 25,436,436 times
No reason to let perfect be the enemy of better. BRT has been great in many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or