Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Because I want to. I don't want to have to deal with a payment at the end of the month. I'd rather know all the time what I have available, and not have to look at a credit card statement and reconcile everything, then make a huge payment at the end of the month. Just not my style. I did collect points for a little while, then just decided I didn't really spend enough to bother. After a couple of years, I was able to buy like a camping chair or something. I hardly ever pay attention to frequent flyer miles any more either. Mostly, because Delta. If I thought that I could easily earn tons and tons of points and pay for vacations and all that based on normal spending, maybe it would be worth looking into. But, ehhh....

I agree. Was just responding to the statement "there's no way to go back and complain or get a refund with cash". There is.

Cool. Must have one hell of a card. I would find it hard to believe that the average persons' normal spending would afford multiple high-end vacations based just on points.

Awesome. But don't most Amex cards have fees in the hundreds of dollars per year, especially ones that will get you any decent amount of rewards?
So this means I won't have the chance of running into you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
The article did say that that is happening. They even quoted one of the stadium honchos as saying, "We’re going to revert to what everybody else does in the world and the price on the board is pre-tax". I always thought that the United States, Canada, and the UK were among the few places in the world that didn't include sales tax on displayed prices, and that pretty everywhere else the sales tax, sometimes called the value added tax, was included.

At least when the sales tax is included with the price, and the price is a whole dollar amount, you could hand over a few paper bills, and not worry about getting back some amount of coinage to carry around the rest of the day.
Yes. It is so damn annoying. I wish that we could just get with the rest of the world and include taxes in the displayed price. I mean, honestly...what's the point in not displaying the final price? Oh, right...this is America and we have to play games to make people think they are getting a better deal in order to drive more sales. It's even more annoying to me when I'm trying to negotiate a deal with something like Comcast, and I ask them to tell me the absolute final price that will be on my bill. "Oh, that'll be $127.56!" "Okay, cool. Let's go!" "Okay! So, you will be billed $178.46 per month." "What?" "That's with taxes and fees." *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So this means I won't have the chance of running into you?
Huh? I was talking about not using credit cards. I still use debit cards for 99% of purchases. Has no bearing on where I go. I'll always be around. Just look... Nice shirt, by the way.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,099,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yes. It is so damn annoying. I wish that we could just get with the rest of the world and include taxes in the displayed price. I mean, honestly...what's the point in not displaying the final price? Oh, right...this is America and we have to play games to make people think they are getting a better deal in order to drive more sales. It's even more annoying to me when I'm trying to negotiate a deal with something like Comcast, and I ask them to tell me the absolute final price that will be on my bill. "Oh, that'll be $127.56!" "Okay, cool. Let's go!" "Okay! So, you will be billed $178.46 per month." "What?" "That's with taxes and fees." *sigh*

Huh? I was talking about not using credit cards. I still use debit cards for 99% of purchases. Has no bearing on where I go. I'll always be around. Just look... Nice shirt, by the way.
I'd prefer the opposite, since I'd like to know exactly how much of the price isn't just for the product.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,554,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'd prefer the opposite, since I'd like to know exactly how much of the price isn't just for the product.
Would it stop you from making a purchase?

Old 03-05-2019, 11:11 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
For a burger or a beer, I don't care. For a pack of paper or a box of pens, I don't care. For a TV or a couch, I don't care. I want to know the final price and don't care what the tax portion is. For a car, when we negotiate the final price to $22,000, then they come back and hand me a bill for $29,000, I care. When I buy a concert ticket for $40, then they come back and bill me for $78, I care. For my cell phone bill, I care. Just tell me the final price in the beginning, and let me decide based on that. Then you can break down whatever is included in that price. Airlines have started doing this I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: