U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 05:46 PM

10,477 posts, read 7,463,083 times

Advertisements

Georgia sees spike in pedestrian deaths | AJC

Quote:
Pedestrian traffic fatalities in Georgia jumped by nearly one-third in the first half of last year, far outpacing the increase nationally, a new study shows.

More than 130 pedestrians died on Georgia roads in the first six months of 2018, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association, a national group that studies traffic safety issues. That’s up 32 percent from the first half of 2017.

Nationally, pedestrian fatalities rose just 3 percent in the first half of last year, according to the GHSA.

Unlike downtowns, where traffic speeds tend to be slow and drivers expect to see pedestrians, suburban drivers often aren’t watching for people crossing the road, “and people can be going 40 to 50 mph.”

“The suburban environment is not well designed for pedestrians,” Retting said.
New York City’s Pedestrian Deaths Hit Lowest Level Since 1910 | New York Times

Quote:
The number of traffic fatalities in 2017 in New York City plummeted to the lowest level since record-keeping started over a century ago, city officials said on Monday. The decline was led by a steep drop in pedestrian deaths, which fell by nearly a third from the year before.

There were 101 pedestrians killed in crashes in 2017 — the lowest number since 1910 when the city began recording such deaths. In 2013, when Mr. de Blasio, then a candidate, proposed Vision Zero, 184 pedestrians were killed. The city’s initiative has included steps such as reducing the speed limit to 25 miles an hour, more stringent enforcement of moving violations, revamping hundreds of street corners to slow down turning cars and rejiggering crossing signals to give pedestrians a head start.

“The lower speed limit, increased enforcement and safer street designs are all building on each other to keep New Yorkers safe,” Mr. de Blasio said in a statement. “Now we must deepen this work. Not even a single tragedy on our streets is acceptable.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 PM

29,239 posts, read 26,172,404 times
Why can't people slow down?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM
bu2

9,884 posts, read 6,368,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Article says overall traffic fatalities are declining. Maybe its distracted pedestrians?

I've never seen pedestrians anywhere so oblivious to traffic as here in Georgia. Now maybe its because I've lived here since cell phones became part of young people's bodies....

Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 767,042 times
I actually have to agree with the article in the aspect that suburban Atlanta is fairly hostile to pedestrians and is one of the core reasons I prefer to drive rather than bike or walk if I'm pretty much anywhere OTP.

If you see places like San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and suburbs like it, you'll quickly understand what I mean. Sidewalks present everywhere. California has more defined bike routes where as ours just seem to be thrown together.

The article is also correct that drivers are not used to yielding for pedestrians. I will give you all a quick test to prove this. Go to any stop light in the suburbs and watch a car make a right turn on red. Watch the driver and where he is looking, after ensuring no cars are coming from the left, I will guarantee only 1 of 30 of them will actually look to their RIGHT to check for pedestrians near the crosswalk before turning. Same goes for left turns. They will ensure theres no oncoming traffic but 80% of them WILL turn in front of a pedestrian who has a legit crosswalk signal.

Now there are other causes. J-Walkers, (especially dangerous at night. One of my friends nailed someone J-walking Beaver Ruin Rd in Norcross resulting in a fatality. Their family tried to sue her but the court did not find her guilty.) I also had a run in on Windy Hill Rd at night heading toward Austell Rd. Coming up a hill I couldn't see pedestrians walking against the light until the LAST second. God was with me because I only BARELY evaded making him apart of the pavement by swerving around him.

But I will have to agree Suburban Atlanta is mostly not designed for pedestrians.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:02 AM

23,236 posts, read 17,438,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Selfishness

Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Selfishness
I thought of you this morning, cq, when I saw an intrepid soul riding his bike down Peachtree in Midtown. Cars were zooming by like crazy. I sheltered him as best I could, but of course the honkers and aggressive drivers soon formed an armada behind us.

What happened to common courtesy? A little of it would go a long way.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:17 AM

8,269 posts, read 10,202,202 times
Quote:
J-Walkers, (especially dangerous at night. One of my friends nailed someone J-walking Beaver Ruin Rd in Norcross resulting in a fatality.
That is true.

I've never seen more idiots walking around at night wearing all black or other dark colors than in suburban Atlanta.

I have noticed in recent years, those highly reflective jogging vests like I remember my father used to wear when jogging after sundown seem to be making a comeback. I've seen them a lot lately, and they are really smart to own for people out walking around after dark in areas that aren't lit well.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
What happened to common courtesy? A little of it would go a long way.
I know, right?

When will people learn it's not cool to make everyone on a road slow to crawl just because YOU decided to ride a bike? Selfish!

Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I know, right?

When will people learn it's not cool to make everyone on a road slow to crawl just because YOU decided to ride a bike? Selfish!
Cyclists aren't crawling along. Give them a little road and they'll move right along. So what if it adds 5 seconds to your (generically) trip?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Yeah, it adds 5 seconds.

I don't know what cyclists YOU get stuck behind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or