U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 AM

8,140 posts, read 9,976,706 times

Advertisements

Yup. Suburban sprawl isn't really Dawsonville's problem. Can't expect them to have to wait until the area between Atlanta and them fills in completely before they're allowed to develop on their own.

This will be a nice thing also for visitors from all over. A lot of people from the urban core venture up once in a while to visit the North Georgia Premium Outlets. I know I always did when I lived in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM

1,829 posts, read 749,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Suburban sprawl isn't really Dawsonville's problem.
No one has said or implied that.

Some of us (myself included) are simply intrigued by how Atlanta's northward sprawl seems to have no bounds. Dawsonville is a good 60 miles away from the city. You'd think eventually a limit would be reached.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM

9,903 posts, read 9,059,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Some of us (myself included) are simply intrigued by how Atlanta's northward sprawl seems to have no bounds. Dawsonville is a good 60 miles away from the city. You'd think eventually a limit would be reached.
Maybe it isn't sprawl. Perhaps look at it as an area developing on its own.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM

I think the thing to be intrigued by is the Chinese cultural center.

Are Chinese immigrants a thing in Dawson county?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 7,149,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Maybe it isn't sprawl. Perhaps look at it as an area developing on its own.
A good question to ask is, “is this truly home grown development or is it influenced by its proximity to Atlanta?”
Me thinks it’s the latter.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 749,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
A good question to ask is, “is this truly home grown development or is it influenced by its proximity to Atlanta?”
Agreed.

I'm sure Dawsonville is a nice place and all on its own, but I have no question most of the people even considering investing, living or doing business there only do so because of their ties to Atlanta and its big city amenities.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Of course.

But why does that matter?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,316,614 times
Quote:

That is a really good point that Atlanta's northward metropolitan and regional development patterns seem to have no bounds... That is because those development patterns actually do not have any bounds or limits because of the mountains to the north of the city/metro area and (particularly in this case) the presence of Lake Lanier.

The scenery and lure of two popular geographical landmarks like the Blue Ridge Mountains and Lake Lanier have intentionally been used to generate heavy amounts of development north away from the city for the last 70-plus years.

And as long as those two popular and beloved geographical landmarks are factors in a viable and active economic environment, there effectively will be no limit to Atlanta's northward metropolitan and regional land development patterns.

Heck, exurban development has already popped up about 15 miles or so to the north of the North Georgia Premium Outlets location where a Home Depot and an upscale golf course community (Achasta) have been located for years in the area with a Dahlonega address in Lumpkin County near the intersection of GA 400/US 19 and GA 60 (at the northern terminus of GA 400, about 60 miles north of Five Points/Downtown Atlanta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That is a really good point.

Not only is this proposed development influenced by its proximity to Atlanta, but like much of the development in the area at and around the North Georgia Premium Outlets in southern Dawson County (including a new Kroger supermarket-anchored shopping center, a Walmart Supercenter, a Home Depot, a Publix supermarket-anchored shopping center, an Ingles supermarket, a 10-screen movie theater, etc.), it is also influenced or being generated by its location along Georgia 400, a super-arterial roadway which of course is a major commuter route and developmental highway in and out of the north side of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM

9,903 posts, read 9,059,623 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I'm sure Dawsonville is a nice place and all on its own, but I have no question most of the people even considering investing, living or doing business there only do so because of their ties to Atlanta and its big city amenities.
Well, sure you are right. They aren't gonna build this thing in Americus. But, that doesn't mean that it is Atlanta sprawl.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:12 PM

4,429 posts, read 7,149,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, sure you are right. They aren't gonna build this thing in Americus. But, that doesn't mean that it is Atlanta sprawl.
All due respect, why wouldn’t it be? If it’s influences originate from Atlanta, why would it not be considered sprawl? Dawson doesn’t have a Gainesville like Hall or am Athens like Clarke. Dahlonega is not really an influence from Lumpkin and Dawsonville itself is a small town.

Help me understand this. Maybe I’m missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or