Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times

Advertisements

Up to 36 so far year to date. That's 30% higher than this point last year, though less than 2016 (which had 42). 2/3 of all homicides this year in the city have been in zones 1 and 4 combined, which is SW Atlanta.

Zone 1: 13
Zone 2: 5
Zone 3: 3
Zone 4: 10
Zone 5: 2
Zone 6: 3

Positive note, robberies are down 20% and burglaries down 10% city wide year to date.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Up to 36 so far year to date. That's 30% higher than this point last year, though less than 2016 (which had 42). 2/3 of all homicides this year in the city have been in zones 1 and 4 combined, which is SW Atlanta.

Zone 1: 13
Zone 2: 5
Zone 3: 3
Zone 4: 10
Zone 5: 2
Zone 6: 3

Positive note, robberies are down 20% and burglaries down 10% city wide year to date.
Zone 1 is NW Atlanta.
SW has it areas for sure, but NW has always been worse. If we’re gonna talk about crime we have to get the areas right, it doesn’t do folks who live in those areas currently or folks looking to move to those areas any good by doing that.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:49 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Zone 1 is NW Atlanta.
SW has it areas for sure, but NW has always been worse. If we’re gonna talk about crime we have to get the areas right, it doesn’t do folks who live in those areas currently or folks looking to move to those areas any good by doing that.
Yep, Zone 1 is at least 60-70% of what I'd call "NW" Atlanta. Zone 2 takes up the rest.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Yep, Zone 1 is at least 60-70% of what I'd call "NW" Atlanta. Zone 2 takes up the rest.
Yep, and the Zone 2 part is what I'm focused on in all of this really. Pretty sure the OP is trying to perpetuate a narrative, the old "everything south of I-20 is a warzone" shtick, and I won't get drawn into that, because anyone who knows the city and can simply look at a map knows that's not the case. But what should be a HUGE red flag is the fact that Zone 2 has 5 murders, it has more murders than Zone 3. Let that sink in for a minute, Zone 2, the crown jewel of the city, has more murders than Zone 3 so far this year. And for those who may not know, Zone 3 in the old Atlanta days was by far the worst zone. Zone 1 is probably the most well known because of rap music and urban culture, but in reality, Zone 3 was the kid who came into the room and everybody hid their sandwiches. It's still pretty rough, there was a stretch a few months back in Lakewood where there was a different shooting 3 days in a row on the same block. That's actually why the whole zone thing popped off, Zone 3 is mostly in SW Atlanta, but when folks from the Ben Hill, Cascade and Camp Creek part of SW were doing the SWATS thing, dudes from Zone 3 did not want to be associated with them, because the Cascade/Ben Hill guys were looked at as soft. So they kinda stopped claiming SW and started claiming Zone 3, which in turn made all the other parts of town follow suit...Zone 1....4...6.....

But back to the topic and why the Zone 2 stats should really be getting all the attention. Most of the areas in NW that are seeing huge development (probably damn near all actually) are in Zone 2!! That's Howell Mill, Bolton/Riverside, along with Buckhead itself. 99.1% of the folks who read this forum will never step foot in those NW and SW areas that are dangerous. Heck I remember mentioning some of those areas on here before, places like Allen Temple and Etheridge, and some folks on here had never even heard of them let alone point them out on a map. But I'll bet the farm that 99% of the folks who read this that live in Atlanta, visit Zone 2 at least once a month.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 5,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yep, and the Zone 2 part is what I'm focused on in all of this really. Pretty sure the OP is trying to perpetuate a narrative, the old "everything south of I-20 is a warzone" shtick, and I won't get drawn into that, because anyone who knows the city and can simply look at a map knows that's not the case. But what should be a HUGE red flag is the fact that Zone 2 has 5 murders, it has more murders than Zone 3. Let that sink in for a minute, Zone 2, the crown jewel of the city, has more murders than Zone 3 so far this year. And for those who may not know, Zone 3 in the old Atlanta days was by far the worst zone. Zone 1 is probably the most well known because of rap music and urban culture, but in reality, Zone 3 was the kid who came into the room and everybody hid their sandwiches. It's still pretty rough, there was a stretch a few months back in Lakewood where there was a different shooting 3 days in a row on the same block. That's actually why the whole zone thing popped off, Zone 3 is mostly in SW Atlanta, but when folks from the Ben Hill, Cascade and Camp Creek part of SW were doing the SWATS thing, dudes from Zone 3 did not want to be associated with them, because the Cascade/Ben Hill guys were looked at as soft. So they kinda stopped claiming SW and started claiming Zone 3, which in turn made all the other parts of town follow suit...Zone 1....4...6.....

But back to the topic and why the Zone 2 stats should really be getting all the attention. Most of the areas in NW that are seeing huge development (probably damn near all actually) are in Zone 2!! That's Howell Mill, Bolton/Riverside, along with Buckhead itself. 99.1% of the folks who read this forum will never step foot in those NW and SW areas that are dangerous. Heck I remember mentioning some of those areas on here before, places like Allen Temple and Etheridge, and some folks on here had never even heard of them let alone point them out on a map. But I'll bet the farm that 99% of the folks who read this that live in Atlanta, visit Zone 2 at least once a month.
Zone 2 is the largest zone in Atlanta. You're reading too much into it.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 AM

617 posts, read 551,988 times
Unfortunately homicides are fluid and change widely year to year. Unless Atlanta was showing an actual trend, say in the past 10 years murders were rising, that would be cause for concern. You also have to remember it is a fast growing city and things can and do change all the time, areas included.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwg View Post
Zone 2 is the largest zone in Atlanta. You're reading too much into it.
You sure about that? Ain't too much gentrification going on in Zone 2, just building out and making middle of the road stuff into nicer stuff. The area that's called West Midtown now was never the hood, the sketchiest thing on Howell Mill as far as illegal stuff were the seedy motels that were across from each other @75, and those are ancient history at this point. There is no pocket of crime in Zone 2 to draw from, so that means it's people coming in from other areas, and that's a problem. Probably a result of the police not distributing their resources properly. I remember a few times Zone 2 only had a couple murders a year, and they have 5 already with half the year left to go.

Yeah ok, I'm reading too much into it.

Lets all go back to paying attention to areas the overwhelming majority of us don't even go near.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Anyone have a copy of the zones map?

I'm curious if Zone 1 contains both Bankhead and Buckhead.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Anyone have a copy of the zones map?

I'm curious if Zone 1 contains both Bankhead and Buckhead.
It doesn't. Just everything south of the railyards and north of I-20.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta