Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a newly widowed mom of 2. An 11 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter we're relocating to GA to be closer to family. I have a brother that lives in Stone Mountain and another brother that lives in Sandy Springs, Ga. However I will be transferring to the ATL office off Circle 75 Parkway. I'm looking to live in the opposite direction of traffic in hopes of limiting my morning commute sitting in traffic all day. Schools and recreational activities for the kids are important to me. I'm looking to rent in a neighborhood with single family homes in the rental range of $1500 or lower. Please point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 02:32 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimerelocate2GA View Post
Hi I'm a newly widowed mom of 2. An 11 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter we're relocating to GA to be closer to family. I have a brother that lives in Stone Mountain and another brother that lives in Sandy Springs, Ga. However I will be transferring to the ATL office off Circle 75 Parkway. I'm looking to live in the opposite direction of traffic in hopes of limiting my morning commute sitting in traffic all day. Schools and recreational activities for the kids are important to me. I'm looking to rent in a neighborhood with single family homes in the rental range of $1500 or lower. Please point me in the right direction.
If you want to live close to your job in the Cumberland area (off of Circle 75 Parkway), you could look for housing in the Smyrna area west of Interstate 75 (which is served by the cluster of Cobb County School District schools that are anchored by the fast-improving Campbell High School) and/or you could look for housing in the area of southeastern Cobb County east of Interstate 75 (which is served by the cluster of schools anchored by the very high-quality Wheeler High School, which is home to one of the best STEM magnet programs in the entire nation and also features a really good regular academic curriculum).

If you want to live close to where your brother lives in Sandy Springs, Sandy Springs (like southeastern Cobb County) features really good schools (in the North Springs High School-anchored cluster of the Fulton County Schools system) and lots of suburban/urban amenities.

While getting to the highway would be a challenge on surface roads in the mornings, Sandy Springs would enable you to mostly 'reverse-commute' to your job in the Cumberland area on Interstate 285 westbound (while the heaviest traffic is commuting in the opposite direction on Interstate 285 eastbound).

It is strongly NOT recommended that you attempt to commute from where your other brother lives in Stone Mountain in East metro Atlanta to where your job is Cumberland in Northwest metro Atlanta... That is because of the awful often-gridlocked traffic on I-285 northbound and westbound, a stretch of roadway that is prone to very frequent back-ups and long delays.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,146 times
Thanks! I'm more concerned with daily traffic to and from work, than I am with living near my siblings to be honest. Do you have any zip codes for those areas you mentioned in Smyrna? I've been searching on the Zillow app and often the Marietta, Austell, Douglasville, powder springs areas keep coming up as 30 -45 mins away from my job area. Are any of those areas nice?

Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimerelocate2GA View Post
Thanks! I'm more concerned with daily traffic to and from work, than I am with living near my siblings to be honest. Do you have any zip codes for those areas you mentioned in Smyrna? I've been searching on the Zillow app and often the Marietta, Austell, Douglasville, powder springs areas keep coming up as 30 -45 mins away from my job area. Are any of those areas nice?
The zip code that you should checkout in the Smyrna area is 30080.

The area with a Marietta mailing address is a very large and diverse area that encompasses about eight different high school clusters and two school systems.

Austell is okay, but might be a little more transient and working class than you might like. Traffic will also be an issue with commutes between Austell and your job in Cumberland.

Douglasville and Powder Springs are also okay areas, but the traffic will be even more of a concern in those areas because of their further distance from your job in Cumberland.

Because of the severe traffic congestion in Atlanta's northwestern and western suburbs, it is probably best that you keep your search for housing close to where you will be working in the Cumberland area and not get any farther away than Smyrna, Vinings and closer-in parts of the area with a Marietta mailing address.

The schools are generally really good and there are loads of amenities available in the areas near where you will be commuting to and from work each day. So you really do not need to look for housing in areas that are farther away from where you work in Cumberland where the traffic will be a concern.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Hello. I currently live in Sandy Springs and work in the Cumberland area so I might be able to help. From where I live it only takes about 10-15 minutes to commute to work because of the back roads that parallel I-285 that never have much traffic, so maybe you want to consider Sandy Springs. Vinings is nice too, but maybe expensive.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 AM

128 posts, read 149,207 times
City of Smyrna is also zip code 30082. That is very close and just down Spring Rd from your job.
King Springs elementary is highly rated and is surrounded by nice quiet neighborhoods along
the Silver Comet Trail. It's very close to a skating rink, parks & public swimming pool at Tolleson Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta