Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 09:01 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,378,520 times

Advertisements

Dozens of Cobb public safety employees and their supporters packed the board of commissioners meeting Tuesday night to advocate for better pay and benefits amid what they described as a staffing crisis.

Matt Babcock, a former Cobb firefighter, told the board that he felt forced to leave the job he loved for the private sector in order to support his family. He called Cobb’s retirement program “the worst” in the metro area, and warned of a “known and escalating crisis” due to high turnover..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...UivZjm4l5GsnM/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Thanks for posting this. Firstly, I didn't know that there is a shortage. Secondly, I figured a county like Cobb wouldn't have this kind of problem versus a county that's more rural and has a higher poverty rate. Cobb found the money (used taxpayer money) to fund a new stadium but can't find the money to fund firefighters?!?!

Just to let you all know, don't for a second think that this won't affect you (those in Cobb and in other counties that are in a similar situation). Remember that to stay alive, the city will find ways, i.e., the police to make up for what they need. Lately I've been seeing the police on the highways more often than I used to. Tickets are revenue for the city, which helps them to stay alive. Because our police are given so much freedom, this means, let's say you're black and get pulled over, you better not have allergies because if they see your eyes are red and swollen, they can say you are DUI.

If you don't have a lawyer, that's a record right there. They will get their money and after picking on blacks and Hispanics, they'll come after you too because they gotta eat, don't they?

If and when this recession arrives later this year or next year, this kind of behavior from the police will only increase.

And as for our firefighters, when they don't have staff to come to people's homes/businesses in their time of need...

Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
To me it seems like the extreme anti-tax mindset in parts of Cobb is like a poison, ultimately causing all this. I've seen no real evidence of government waste going on. Just looks to me like there's simply not enough funds in the county's budget to provide quality services, let alone any extra things like nice parks or libraries. For no good reason, since Cobb is so wealthy.

I don't want unnecessary taxes, but am more than willing to be taxed enough to cover for high quality public services and general high quality of life. I don't understand why we can't seem to figure all this out, in a county that is so thriving in so many ways compared to almost every other county in GA.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
To me it seems like the extreme anti-tax mindset in parts of Cobb is like a poison, ultimately causing all this. I've seen no real evidence of government waste going on. Just looks to me like there's simply not enough funds in the county's budget to provide quality services, let alone any extra things like nice parks or libraries. For no good reason, since Cobb is so wealthy.

I don't want unnecessary taxes, but am more than willing to be taxed enough to cover for high quality public services and general high quality of life. I don't understand why we can't seem to figure all this out, in a county that is so thriving in so many ways compared to almost every other county in GA.

The thought needs to be that the extremely wealthy are taxed more. The wealth is this country hasn't "trickled down" for how many decades. It is nice, however, that you'd be willing to pay more in taxes to support public safety employees.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
https://www.cobbcounty.org/public-sa...d-compensation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta