U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

McDonough pr Newman/Fayetteville area: Where living does not impact work. No kids. 49 years of age. Which area would you prefer and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 PM

727 posts, read 578,674 times
Depends on what you're looking for. If you like the south side burbs, I'd also consider Peachtree City, Shaprsburg, and Senoia.

McDonough: used to be a rural, small town. It's not that anymore. Uncontrolled growth has transformed McDonough into an overdeveloped mess in spots with insane traffic at times. Many of the schools in Henry County are also declining which could impact future real estate values. The best areas of McDonough are in the Union Grove school district. I know you mentioned no kids, but real estate in suburban Atlanta is tied closely to schools. On the plus side, the town square is one of the prettiest in Metro Atlanta, and there are tons of dinning and shopping options in and around McDonough and you have convenient access to I-75.

Newnan: great downtown with a southern vibe and a ton of history. Growing middle class suburb, but not growing as insanely as McDonough. Also less overall diversity than McDonough. Newnan proper has a nice mix of diversity, but the Newnan zip codes outside the city limits in unincorporated Coweta County tend to be overwhelmingly white. Ashley Park is also a premiere retail and dinning destination in Newnan. You also have convenient access to I-85.

Fayetteville: Fayette County is one of the most affluent counties in Georgia and is known for great schools. The Fayetteville zip codes encompass most of the unincorporated parts of Fayette county outside of Peachtree City and Tyrone. The northern parts of Fayetteville (zip code 30214) tend to be made up predominantly of highly educated and affluent African Americans (50%-60%). The southern part of Fayetteville (30215) along Redwine Road that is zoned to Starr's Mill High School is one of the most affluent areas in Fayette County. Most of this area is also connected to the Peachtree City golf cart paths. It's a wealthy area with mainly 4-6 bedroom single family homes on estate size lots in gated or covenant communities, and is probably around 80-90% white. You then have the new Pinewood Forest Development on the West Side of the City that is a unique, new urbanism development that is high-end. It's being supported by Billionaire Dan Cathy and Pinewood Studios. There are tons of different options in Fayetteville. Fayetteville also has a nice picturesque town square, but does lack interstate connectivity. I think it takes about 20 minutes to get to an interstate from most of Fayetteville.

Last edited by PTC Dad; 03-28-2019 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,723,484 times
PTC Dad seems spot on with his descriptions.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:43 PM

7,019 posts, read 2,800,047 times
Newnan is the only place I would consider living on the Southside for the time being, although I'm a bit worried about where it will be 10-20 years from now. My concern is that it will end up turning to Atlanta's Inland Empire.

Coweta County has already rubber stamped roughly 20 million sq. ft. of warehouse/distribution space at Exits 56, 51 and 41 along I-85. And Mark Shugart, a notorious industrial developer, owns all of the undeveloped land (via a shell company) at Exit 56 for even more future warehouse/distribution space.

From a real estate value perspective, that's going to lead to a ton of heavy freight traffic/pollution, wear/tear on the infrastructure that the county's in no hurry to address and higher taxes (Coweta County's property taxes are already higher than the exurban counties north of the city). Anyone with means is not going to want to buy a home in an area with these issues. Commercial developers and retailers arevalso not going to trip over themselves to build/operate in locations where the average wage of jobs being created are only $12-$15/hr and highly susceptible to automation.

Fayetteville is a decent community today, but long tern, Fayette County overall is a lot more anti-growth and is struggling to attract younger residents because of its lack of affordable new home construction (which will lead to a worsening demographic crisis in the near future). I'm also not thrilled about it's lack of interstate highway connectivity (while it may be closer to some areas in distance, its accessibility is poor), nor the fact that it's adjacent to Clayton County.

Recently losing two major corporations within reasonable commuting distance/time from the Southside (Turner and SumTrust) plus the games the city of Newnan and the state of Georgia have been playing with the Film Industry have spooked me further.

McDonough is a mess, as the previous poster stated. It has also been seeing spillover of problems from Clayton Cpunty, which doesn't bode well for the future.

I have completely decided *AGAINST* buying a home anywhere on the Southside for now. If Newnan and Coweta County's leaders can get serious about attracting corporate offices/HQs or Airport City College Park comes to fruition as a Sandy Springs-like edge city (jury's still out on that), I might change my mind.

Last edited by citidata18; 03-28-2019 at 11:04 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,493,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Newnan is the only place I would consider living on the Southside for the time being, although I'm a bit worried about where it will be 10-20 years from now. My concern is that it will end up turning to Atlanta's Inland Empire.

Coweta County has already rubber stamped roughly 20 million sq. ft. of warehouse/distribution space at Exits 56, 51 and 41 along I-85. And Mark Shugart, a notorious industrial developer, owns all of the undeveloped land (via a shell company) at Exit 56 for even more future warehouse/distribution space.

From a real estate value perspective, that's going to lead to a ton of heavy freight traffic/pollution, wear/tear on the infrastructure that the county's in no hurry to address and higher taxes (Coweta County's property taxes are already higher than the exurban counties north of the city). Anyone with means is not going to want to buy a home in an area with these issues. Commercial developers and retailers arevalso not going to trip over themselves to build/operate in locations where the average wage of jobs being created are only $12-$15/hr and highly susceptible to automation.

Fayetteville is a decent community today, but long tern, Fayette County overall is a lot more anti-growth and is struggling to attract younger residents because of its lack of affordable new home construction (which will lead to a worsening demographic crisis in the near future). I'm also not thrilled about it's lack of interstate highway connectivity (while it may be closer to some areas in distance, its accessibility is poor), nor the fact that it's adjacent to Clayton County.

Recently losing two major corporations within reasonable commuting distance/time from the Southside (Turner and SumTrust) plus the games the city of Newnan and the state of Georgia have been playing with the Film Industry have spooked me further.

McDonough is a mess, as the previous poster stated. It has also been seeing spillover of problems from Clayton Cpunty, which doesn't bode well for the future.

I have completely decided *AGAINST* buying a home anywhere on the Southside for now. If Newnan and Coweta County's leaders can get serious about attracting corporate offices/HQs or Airport City College Park comes to fruition as a Sandy Springs-like edge city (jury's still out on that), I might change my mind.
Wow. Aren’t you just a Debbie Downer?

While I don’t disagree with your assessment of McDonough and Henry County, I think the future has never looked brighter for Fayetteville and Fayette County. There are a lot of very exciting things happening there, from the continued development of Pinewood Studios and Pinewood Forest, to the complete reinvention and expansion of the downtown historic district (new hotel, city hall, shops, restaurants and bars) to the booming medical district centered on Piedmont Fayette Hospital (new professional office tower, new parking facility and 5-story cancer treatment center just announced). Tyrone is getting the Founders Studios TV and film production complex and making plans to build a Suwanee-type town center on Senoia Road in the old historic part of town (hidden away off Ga 74). And of course Peachtree City, no matter what changes take place as it evolves into the future, will always be PTC. It’s the most stable and investment-safe community in South Metro hands down.

Growth in Coweta, though not as bad as Henry, has still not been well planned. Much of the development from just 15-20 years ago has not aged well. For all the praise people give to Ashley Park, the traffic in that area is just abysmal. And Coweta schools are struggling to maintain their standing while Fayette schools, even with shifting demographics, continue to get better.

I have lots of friends who live in Coweta because it’s what they can afford. But if they could afford to live in Fayette they would move in a nanosecond.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM

7,019 posts, read 2,800,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wow. Aren’t you just a Debbie Downer?

While I don’t disagree with your assessment of McDonough and Henry County, I think the future has never looked brighter for Fayetteville and Fayette County. There are a lot of very exciting things happening there, from the continued development of Pinewood Studios and Pinewood Forest, to the complete reinvention and expansion of the downtown historic district (new hotel, city hall, shops, restaurants and bars) to the booming medical district centered on Piedmont Fayette Hospital (new professional office tower, new parking facility and 5-story cancer treatment center just announced). Tyrone is getting the Founders Studios TV and film production complex and making plans to build a Suwanee-type town center on Senoia Road in the old historic part of town (hidden away off Ga 74). And of course Peachtree City, no matter what changes take place as it evolves into the future, will always be PTC. It’s the most stable and investment-safe community in South Metro hands down.

Growth in Coweta, though not as bad as Henry, has still not been well planned. Much of the development from just 15-20 years ago has not aged well. For all the praise people give to Ashley Park, the traffic in that area is just abysmal. And Coweta schools are struggling to maintain their standing while Fayette schools, even with shifting demographics, continue to get better.

I have lots of friends who live in Coweta because it’s what they can afford. But if they could afford to live in Fayette they would move in a nanosecond.
I did go a bit on a rant there, didn't I? lol.

The funny thing about the Ashley Park area and Summergrove is that it was all developed as part of a still unfinished master plan.

Per the prelimimary plot below, in addition to the CTCA, much of the undeveloped land around there was zoned for millions of sq. ft. in Commercial Office Space and a convention center:

http://looplink.batsoncookrealty.com...tPer=PY&SRID=0

Obviously, that pretty much died with the recession when the 3 developers (Stan Thomas, Pathway Commumities and the folks who previously owned the land for Village Square at Newnan Crossing) all went belly up.

While the population numbers don't bear this out entirely (other than a slow down in growth rate), Coweta sort of did go bust during the recession in that it wasn't able to become fully established as an affluent suburb before the real estate collapse. At first, during the 2000s, it seemed as though it was becoming a southside Forsyth County, but since then, it has instead been chasing any type of development/investmemt post-recession without regard to quality.

There's actually a petition and facebook page right now to protest 2 million more sq. ft. of warehouse near Exit 56 that's on the BOC agenda. Nearly 1,000 people have signed it expressing the exact same concerns I did here, so it's nice to have plenty of company.

Last edited by citidata18; 03-29-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 AM

815 posts, read 502,085 times
If I had no kids, I would rank them in this order:

1. Fayetteville
2. Newnan
3. McDonough (distant third)

I ranked Fayetteville first because the Pinewood-related development is really exciting. If I had a ton of cash and no kids, I could see myself living my best life there. It's amazing. Pinewood seems to be transforming Fayetteville in to something more than just a place with good schools with big house on big lots. Fayetteville is also an easy drive to ATL even though it's not right off the interstate. There is traffic, but whenever I drive through there, it seems that I get to where I'm going in the same amount of time whether there's a lot of traffic or no traffic.

Newnan would be second. It has a lot of shopping and is a little more affordable than Fayette County. Although it is very geared toward families, there is still a lot to offer for singles and folks without kids. The downtown area is gorgeous and has all these beautiful Southern mansions with lots of charming restaurants. It's also an easy drive to Fayette and other places, and not too bad of drive to ATL..

I'm trying to be fair to McDonough. I lived there for a couple of years before I moved to PTC. It has a lot of shopping. It has really nice homes in some areas at an affordable price. Eagles Landing especially is gorgeous. It has diversity. It has beautiful parks and recreation. It has everything you would want in a place to live, but for whatever reason I was very happy to leave. It's just a blah suburb and I never felt proud to live there. There was not a single thing about it that I miss. It also has a lot of traffic and crime in some spots. The homes don't appreciate very well. A friend of mine lives in Eagles Landing and her home is worth only a little more than what it was when I moved 8 years ago. Traffic up and down 75 is a nightmare. So I wouldn't want to move back there, but I wouldn't tell someone else not to check it out.

Last edited by CaliDreaming01; 03-29-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 01:39 PM

7,134 posts, read 6,590,328 times
Quote:

Seriously, what is your thing against Southern Crescent county governments (like Coweta County) attracting and permitting industrial development in areas along Interstate highways?

Every metro Atlanta county along an Interstate highway has warehousing and distribution facilities located along Interstate highways.

And while it may not have the warehousing and distribution facilities that other metro counties along Interstate superhighways have, even a highly affluent Northern Crescent/Golden Crescent Northside county like Forsyth has a significant amount of light industrial development along a major non-Interstate superhighway like Georgia 400 in the southern part of the county.

Like it or not, industrial development is a critical part of any and every county's economic and tax bases.

Even Northside counties that may be home to more corporate headquarters facilities (like Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, etc.) have very significant amounts of light industrial development along their Interstate superhighway corridors.

Fulton County has what may well arguably be the largest cluster of industrial development in the entire metro area off of I-20 West along the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor, a cluster of industrial development that spills over into neighboring South Cobb and Douglas counties along I-20 West... While there is tons of industrial development (including warehousing/distribution and light manufacturing) along the I-75 North, I-85 North, I-985 and GA 316 corridors in affluent Northern Crescent counties like Cobb, Cherokee, Gwinnett and Hall.)

Even a rising Northside exurban county like Jackson is rapidly growing its economy by using its advantageous location along I-85 northeast of Atlanta to intentionally go after warehousing and distribution facilities that will build both the county's economic and tax bases.

Jackson County has based its entire future economic growth strategy on attracting warehousing and distribution centers to interchanges along I-85 northeast of Atlanta.

That while Hall County has become an economic and political powerhouse by building and basing its economy on industrial development.

The massive amount of industrial development in the county has gone a long way in helping to make Hall County an economic and political powerhouse by generating the money needed to robustly fund the campaigns of powerful Hall County-based political figures like former Georgia Governor Nathan Deal, former Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle, current Georgia Senate President pro tempore Butch Miller and powerful current Georgia 9th District Congressman Doug Collins.

While you may personally look down your nose at industrial development like warehouses and distribution centers, that kind of development really is nothing to sneeze at. Northside counties like Hall, Gwinnett, Cobb, Jackson and even Fulton have shown that they can go a really long way with that kind of development as part of their economic portfolios and tax digests.

If warehousing and distribution centers are more than good enough for affluent Northside counties to fall over themselves attracting and nourishing, then warehousing and distribution centers are more than good enough for Southern Crescent counties like Coweta and Henry to attract and be the sites of.

It is unrealistic to expect that any county, including Southside counties like Coweta and Henry, basically should only attract corporate headquarters that are increasingly attracted to Intown and inner-suburban environments with direct access to high-frequency rail transit in the 21st Century.

While obviously not perfect, Southern Crescent counties like Coweta, Henry, etc., have done well to attract industrial development (including warehousing and distribution facilities) to their jurisdictions as a means of building and providing a base for their economies and generating revenue to fund government services (including schools).

Quote:
While the population numbers don't bear this out entirely (other than a slow down in growth rate), Coweta sort of did go bust during the recession in that it wasn't able to become fully established as an affluent suburb before the real estate collapse. At first, during the 2000s, it seemed as though it was becoming a southside Forsyth County, but since then, it has instead been chasing any type of development/investmemt post-recession without regard to quality.

There's actually a petition and facebook page right now to protest 2 million more sq. ft. of warehouse near Exit 56 that's on the BOC agenda. Nearly 1,000 people have signed it expressing the exact same concerns I did here, so it's nice to have plenty of company.
Part of the problem of you and seemingly some other Southern Crescent residents is that you expect counties like Coweta and Henry to be on the same level as an affluent Northside county like Forsyth.

But (as we have covered before on these threads) Southside counties like Coweta and Henry were never going to be on the same level as an affluent Northside county like Forsyth... That is because an affluent Northside county like Forsyth sits on the shores of Lake Lanier and basically is located only a few miles from the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.

It is Lake Lanier and the Blue Ridge Mountains that have made Northside areas like Forsyth County so affluent and given them an unfair advantage over Southside counties like Coweta and Henry... An unfair advantage that those Southside counties have been able to largely make up by being close in proximity to the world's busiest airport at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

Southern Crescent counties don't go after industrial development because they want to... Southern Crescent counties go after industrial development because that is what they have to do to keep their economies functioning and viable and fund the government services that they have to deliver to their residents... Something that those counties frankly have done an excellent job at doing despite some snobs expecting them to attract the same level of white-collar corporate office development as Northside areas like Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs and Cumberland... Expectations that are wholly unrealistic for many outer suburbs in many large major metro areas that are far removed from a core and/or 'favored quarter' area.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:45 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,903,460 times
From one that originally hails from the southern reaches of Atlanta (Griffin and Hogansville) I would say Coweta and Fayette have managed growth better than Henry. Henry is the Gwinnett of the south side, Fayette is the East Cobb of the Southside. Coweta is somewhere in between.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 PM

7,134 posts, read 6,590,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
From one that originally hails from the southern reaches of Atlanta (Griffin and Hogansville) I would say Coweta and Fayette have managed growth better than Henry. Henry is the Gwinnett of the south side, Fayette is the East Cobb of the Southside. Coweta is somewhere in between.
Because of its location along Interstate 75 (which, of course is a major transcontinental superhighway route for travel to and from the popular resort areas of Florida), Henry County was always going to struggle to manage its growth and development.

Because of its location along I-75 on the way to and from Florida, Henry County was always going to be overwhelmed (if not swamped) with development permit requests by builders eager to cater to the massive amount of tourists and vacationers traveling to and from the popular resort areas in Florida on I-75.

There was no way that a county like Henry (which had struggled at times throughout parts of its past with some degree of poverty and isolation) was going to be able to (or even desire to) control its growth and development to the extent of a neighboring county like Fayette, which does not sit directly along an Interstate superhighway like Henry and Coweta counties do.

And with Henry County's history of struggle with poverty, economic challenges and social isolation, I cannot say that I blame Henry County's leaders for being accommodating to the high volume of development permit requests that have been thrown their way over the last few decades.

I know that many people (both on an online forum like this and in many parts of a metro area like Atlanta) seem to be down on what they consider to be "sprawl" or lower-density development patterns these days for some understandable reasons.

But what many modern-day online commenters and offline onlookers have to realize is that those low-density or "sprawling" development patterns have helped to lift many North Georgia communities (like Henry, Gwinnett, North Fulton, etc.) out of an existence of what is basically poverty and social isolation to an existence of prosperity, social influence and exponentially increased interaction with the outside world.

Low-density development or "sprawl" has undeniably had its downside and negative effects (traffic, long single-occupant vehicle commutes that spawn their own form of social isolation, etc.), but on the other hand, that "sprawl" has also brought much economic opportunity to places that were not exactly swimming in economic opportunity before overtaken by Atlanta's metropolitan and regional development patterns. It is a double-edged sword that has been more positive than negative overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta