Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:57 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times

Advertisements

I lived within a 15 minute walk of the Arts Center station for years, and worked within a 10 minute walk of North Avenue station. Sure, I would take MARTA when I could. Heck, some days I would simply walk to and from work. But, that all took an effort. Some of us have to wear coats and ties, so walking even 15 minutes in the sweltering Atlanta summers was not an option. Most days, I had to get to client sites. As such, I needed a car. Many days, I had to run errands and needed a car. Many days, I had to take children all over the place and needed a car.

I applaud all of you who can make do without a vehicle. Most of us cannot, even if we lived on top of a train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:58 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
I have this image in my head of a very grumpy Sam dining alfresco on a street in Paris and complaining about the lack of parking and freeways.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Quote:
The idea that car drivers are just lazy, uninformed, pedestrian-murdering simpletons in their personal steel cages, not experiencing the wonder and beauty of the city of Atlanta
I agree with this, and I also believe it's quite the opposite, actually.

I care too much about the wonder and beauty of the city to limit myself to what I can see and do with mass transit alone. I've said this before many times, but it bears repeating:

Even when I lived in the city of Atlanta, within walking distance to the Lenox MARTA station, I made the conscious decision that I would never become one of those people who artificially limits myself be refusing to ever venture OTP. I still went to Alpharetta, Duluth and Marietta all the time. Uber and Lyft weren't around back then, but the cost of using them would have been higher than keeping an automobile, since my complex had a deck and provided free parking.

Now that I live in the suburbs, I made the same conscious decision: I would never be one of those people who didn't do things in the city because it's too much work to get there. I'm an avid explorer of the entire Atlanta metro. I just don't see the appeal of limiting myself to only my one area. I don't judge people who have made that decision, except when they pass judgment on me for not living the same way, which many on this board seem to love to do.

They're voices may be loud. They may try to hijack every thread to make their point. But the fact remains, they are a very small, albeit vocal, minority.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Quote:
I have this image in my head of a very grumpy Sam dining alfresco on a street in Paris and complaining about the lack of parking and freeways.
That kind of made me laugh!

It reminded me of something, though. It's my understanding that Paris has the highest concentration of Metro stops in the entire world. Or however you say it, wherever you are in Paris, you're closer to a Metro stop than you are in any other city. Still, in Paris I take Uber to and from the airport, because even though the Metro does go there, there's a lot of train switching to make it happen.

Even if I lived in Paris, I may keep a car because there's too much of France I'd want to see that's not possible, or very difficult, using the train system. But I'd definitely use the train a lot!

Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

It reminded me of something, though. It's my understanding that Paris has the highest concentration of Metro stops in the entire world. Or however you say it, wherever you are in Paris, you're closer to a Metro stop than you are in any other city. Still, in Paris I take Uber to and from the airport, because even though the Metro does go there, there's a lot of train switching to make it happen.

Even if I lived in Paris, I may keep a car because there's too much of France I'd want to see that's not possible, or very difficult, using the train system. But I'd definitely use the train a lot!
Correct. The Métro was designed so that you'd never be more than a 1,000 m walk from a station, and you're usually much closer to one than that. I believe that it's the densest subway network in the world, and the connectivity between the various lines is absolutely astounding. The first time I went to Paris, nearly 30 years ago, I became so enamored with the Métro that the only souvenir I bought for myself was a t-shirt with a map of the Métro network on it.

When we are in Paris, which is pretty often, we do get around mostly on foot, with a Métro ride here and there and maybe the odd Uber ride at night if our feet are too worn out from the 20,000 steps we've already done that day, or if it's raining. And, yes, Uber is proving to be a game changer for rides to the airport, especially now that the RER-B stops at every. single. station between CDG and Gare du Nord.

If I lived somewhere as dense as Paris, with a metro system as well developed as the Métro, I would give serious thought to going carless. Alas, Atlanta isn't there and won't be anytime soon, so I will gladly stick to my car for the time being. (And now that I have a car that's capable of semi-autonomous driving, I don't even mind being on the highway anymore; my commute has gone from being rather stressful to borderline relaxing.)

Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Some of us have to wear coats and ties
Eeewww...I do not envy you. I get angry when I have to dress any nicer than shorts and a t-shirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nah...I'd be complaining about French people. And dining al fresco. I don't like wind. I've spent 33 days in Paris with no car. Got by, but that's not my life.

Quote:
I agree with this, and I also believe it's quite the opposite, actually.

I care too much about the wonder and beauty of the city to limit myself to what I can see and do with mass transit alone. I've said this before many times, but it bears repeating:

Even when I lived in the city of Atlanta, within walking distance to the Lenox MARTA station, I made the conscious decision that I would never become one of those people who artificially limits myself be refusing to ever venture OTP. I still went to Alpharetta, Duluth and Marietta all the time. Uber and Lyft weren't around back then, but the cost of using them would have been higher than keeping an automobile, since my complex had a deck and provided free parking.

Now that I live in the suburbs, I made the same conscious decision: I would never be one of those people who didn't do things in the city because it's too much work to get there. I'm an avid explorer of the entire Atlanta metro. I just don't see the appeal of limiting myself to only my one area. I don't judge people who have made that decision, except when they pass judgment on me for not living the same way, which many on this board seem to love to do.

They're voices may be loud. They may try to hijack every thread to make their point. But the fact remains, they are a very small, albeit vocal, minority.
I'm with you...in addition to going into Midtown or Downtown or other in-town suburbs periodically, we regularly go to Smyrna, Kennesaw, Duluth, and everywhere in between. I've worked for periods of time in almost every corner of the metro with long term (a few months or more...that's long term in film) jobs in Norcross, Fayetteville, Griffin, Union City, Constitution, whatever the area OTP I20 East is called, Lakewood, Fulton Industrial, Ft. McPherson, and more. I like to go all over the metro.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Haha, more power to people like you and Sam.

No one is trying to force you out of your car.

I mean, life would still be pretty good with a car in these places that also make alternatives appealing, right? Even in the most extreme hypothetical future situations cars would still end up like horses where people would still have them and obsess over them and ride them around. It is never going fully away.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
It sounds as if the author is trying to talk himself into it being worth it. His experiences sound dreadful. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to limit myself to one area. Not having a car in Atlanta would limit someone to where they can go. I have seen this affect students and young Millennials. Perhaps older folks can afford to use Lyft/Uber to get to the suburbs. There is just too much going on outside of Atlanta to stay in Atlanta all the time.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Not having a car in Atlanta would limit someone to where they can go. I have seen this affect students and young Millennials. Perhaps older folks can afford to use Lyft/Uber to get to the suburbs.
Not at all. Saving that money from a car to spend on Uber / Lyft when needed gives you way more flexibility and options to get around. Of course it flips the math people used to car dependency think about. Where you might think driving around to strip malls in suburbia as basically free and going intown or to a game and having to pay $10+ for parking as expensive, suddenly you now just order on Amazon to save the $10 Uber ride and take a $2 Bird Scooter over meet a friend down the Beltline.

If you want more mobility on less budget, dropping the car is the way to go. Most younger folks I talk to do it by choice. They don't even have a driver's license.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I strongly encourage people to go car free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta