Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:43 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,366,334 times

Advertisements

It seems like only yesterday that some Clayton County residents were worried that welcoming MARTA would bring crime to the southside suburbs.

Now, nearly five years after county voters elected to link Atlanta’s mass transit network to the metro county, crime rates have not spiked, but citizens appear to be facing a very different concern: that of gentrification.

“When Starbucks began building a new location on Tara Boulevard, the die was cast,” as a report from Clayton News-Daily puts it..."

FULL STORY: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/4/22...gentrification

SOURCED: Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:26 AM

616 posts, read 546,494 times
Makes sense to me. As we seem to mention all the time on this forum, the north side's traffic is only going to continue to worsen. Atlanta needs to stop being so top heavy (we know that will never happen). The commute coming from the Southside into Downtown/Midtown is probably considerably better than coming from the north. Plus as rents across the metro explode, people are going to look in the "less desirable" closer in, cheaper areas such as ClayCo! In turn, and with the recent expansion of MARTA, if Clayton can contain the crime, I could really see the county booming with wealth.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,992,840 times
Only in America do people worry their houses may climb in value too much and their neighborhoods might become too nice.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,636,924 times
Clayton County has a looonnng way to go before it has to worry about gentrification, lol.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,097,505 times
Near the airport would probably be the 1st area for gentrification, as the area is getting more developments and then any area near where any future commuter rail stations would be in the future would be next.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,636,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Near the airport would probably be the 1st area for gentrification, as the area is getting more developments and then any area near where any future commuter rail stations would be in the future would be next.
South Fulton would get gentrified first.

Clayton County still has more issues (relatively speaking) with its schools and crime rate.

Plus, College Park is the only place near the airport actively trying to court corporate employment.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,343,116 times
Our crime rate in Clayton County is actually LOWER than many close in counties. We have very few failing schools compared to Atlanta, Fulton. or Dekalb Schools. We have an enviable water and library systems. Our road network is also enviable compared to other southside counties. Our convenience to the airport and the City of Atlanta has few equals in Metro Atlanta. Trust, our glass is well above "half full"!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
South Fulton would get gentrified first.

Clayton County still has more issues (relatively speaking) with its schools and crime rate.

Plus, College Park is the only place near the airport actively trying to court corporate employment.
To be completely honest, I always felt like there was some kind of conspiracy to the Clayton accreditation thing. I was in elementary school when the district lost accreditation and there was nothing wrong with the level of education I received. Things didn’t get bad until middle school and even then my schedule was changed to honors so I didn’t get the disruptive students in my classes. There’s nothing wrong with the quality of education in Clayton. I thought it was way better than APS and Fulton.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Oh no! A single luxury development, the sky is falling! I will never understand these people who freak out when it looks like their neighborhood/county/city is actually getting a little nicer.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:26 AM

4,762 posts, read 5,401,068 times
I wish people would be discerning enough to know that the majority of residents in Clayton County welcome this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta