Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 31,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
Thanks K'ledgeBldr..earlier this morning I ceased any futher transactions...they approved my offer, but I just can't do something that doesn't sit well with me. Plus I had a backup..never put all my eggs in one basket

Were you able to get your deposit back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 PM

218 posts, read 1,186,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetface_mommy View Post
If you are speaking of earnest money, I doubt that they gave that back but maybe things have changed; they don't usually do.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM

17,432 posts, read 65,668,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
If you are speaking of earnest money, I doubt that they gave that back but maybe things have changed; they don't usually do.
Yes, they usually do- and the reason being is because they didn't hold up their end of the contract ( and if the on-site agent has any dignity at all, they'll make it happen). Which is usually not being able to close on the agreed upon date.
With that said, I know there are circumstances that are beyond their control (weather, etc.) but their delays are usually of their own doing (not starting at a reasonable time, not having dependable sub's, poor supervision, and unable to past inspections). The excuses can go on for miles- but why bother?
If I said it once, I'll say it a thousand times more- Buyer beware, especially Legacy Communities. Might as well throw-in Homelife also.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 AM

37 posts, read 173,313 times
Default Inspectors Will Not Help Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba033 View Post
Would you please give me the name and number of your inspector? If we decide to go ahead with Legacy I would like to take everyone's advice who suggested to use an inspector. We will be moving to the area from washington, DC but at this point after reading all of these bloggs it makes me wanna say humph!
I listed the inspector in an earlier post. His name and contact information is listed. I still would not buy a legacy home. I know the feeling you're going through. You want to believe that your situation will be different. But it won't. Legacy is bad. Very Bad. This builder is not to be trusted. Best case, you luck up and move into one of their descent homes. The problem is your neighbors live in a crappy house which brings the value of your investment down. You won't be able to sell your house in the future. Think long-term....will you be able to sell this investment, will I be able to enjoy potenial equity, or will I be able to leave this home to my kids in the year 20xx? Good Luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 AM

37 posts, read 173,313 times
I read an article yesterday in AJC about the number of Blacks in Atlanta affected by subprime mortgages, and it made me think of this forum. The gist of the article was that "Black Atlantans of all income groups were much more likely than whites to take out high-interest "subprime" mortgages when buying a home, making them more vulnerable in the ongoing mortgage meltdown." Additionally, "at 49%, blacks were the most likely minority group in metro Atlanta to end up with a subprime loan. For Hispanics, about a third of home buyers got a subprime loan in 2005 and 2006. Only 10 percent of Asians used a subprime loan to buy a house, the lowest of any group."

Black Atlantans often snared by subprime loans | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2007/11/05/foreclosure_1104.html - broken link)

This article made me think of Legacy and builders like it. I've visited at least 7 Legacy communities and about two HomeLife communities. The overwhelming similarities were 1) the communities were 85% miniority, 2) over 50% of the homes were vacant, 3) The price of the homes had decreased at least twice in the last 4 months, and 4) of the homes with "private residence" signs, 40% had FOR SALE signs in front of them. I have visited a number of communities in and around ATL and I can definately tell the differences in the communitiesl. I bring up the article for this reason. If minorities are selecting subprime loans in subpar communities, what impact will this have on them, their children and of course the community. I AM NOT saying this is a racial issue, it's a proverty issue. I would bet the other ethnic groups listed in the article affected by subprime loans are middle to low income families. Educate yourself about the investment(s) you're making, teach your children about saving and investing, teach them about credit and interest rates, and most importantly, don't get trapped into signing your dreams away. We all want a piece of the American Dream. The problem is, mortgage lenders know how to create an illusion for you. Subprime loans uses the same tactics that the Internation Monetary Fund (IMF) uses to lend money to countries in South America, Africa, and other proverty stricken nations. The interest rate is so high that the affected counties will be paying back their loans for generations to come. Legacy and builders like them are in the same boat. They place an illusion in front of someone seeking the American Dream. Offer you "$$$ towards closing" if you go with one of their "preferred lenders," offer "blinds in every room," cheap upgraded appliances, and other useless amentities in the grand scheme of things. For those of you who decide to buy from one of these builders after reading the listed post and researching on your own....We TOLD YOU SO. I was a huge advocate for Legacy in earlier posts. I attitude changed the moment I arrived in Atlanta. Research your lenders and builders regardless of the community.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM

178 posts, read 526,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetface_mommy View Post

Actually I didn't even go that far. The house is 2yrs old and I submitted an offer that they accepted and then I hit the brakes on that deal and went with another builder. Should close on the 16th.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 24,500 times
Default As if there were any doubt left...

Legacy now has the distinction of being the WORST rated builder for customer satisfaction in the Atlanta area according to JD Power. They were second to last the previous year...way to go Legacy!!!

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2007169.pdf (broken link)

My community is so upset that we've formed our own website to track all the problems. I cannot even begin to tell you how many problems we're having, and how rediculous their attempst to lie, decieve and mislead have been. I really do think it's becuase these people are not used to dealing with people who moved here from "the big city"...they think they can get away with it, and they are dead wrong.

Stay away from these folks at all costs.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,628 times
Thanks so much for the warning about Legacy. I will be moving to Atlanta next summer and was looking at a Legacy community. On my last visit I toured a model by Damascus Homes and one by Crown Communities. I loved the Crown model. Any information on either of these builders. I am looking to settle in the Loganville area

Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 33,375 times
I see that Homelife is about to become Atreus Homes in January 2008. I guess that they think a name change will fool people into buying their homes.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,440 times
i had my first walkthrough on the legacy home i'm under contract with earlier this week. there are all types of cracks in the foundation. i was also told that my appliances, blinds, island, and ac/heating units would not be delivered until after closing. the builder told me that the unit is not required for the heater to work. Now what type of craziness is that. I also asked them to change some paint trim and replace carpet on the wall with a baseboard and they said no. i signed the walkthrough papers and they would not give me a copy, they said i would receive it at my final walkthrough. what implications other than losing my earnest money would I have now if I didn't go to closing? i have had nothing but issues during this entire process. I already have a couple of amendments to the contract of things that legacy tried to change but I caught them on. i hate to echo what everyone else has said, but watch your back with these folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta