Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM

28 posts, read 88,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon01 View Post
I have decided against Legacy, but I agree with the person that said its ultimately your decision. I love their floor plans they definitely give you alot of house for the money. I just don't like the quality of the construction. I now see how they are able to build such a big house for less. In the beginning I thought they must have a secret that no other builder knows. They are such big houses, but when u look a little deeper u see that they use lower grade products. They use kitchen vinyl in the foyer, should be hardwood. The lack or gutters around the house. Small cabinets in such a large kitchen. The front doors have to be the lowest grade door I have ever seen. The light fixtures are really cheap looking. These are the things I can see when I walk in the house, I have more concerns when I walked through 2 or 3 houses that were in construction. I pulled over and asked at least 4 or 5 people in different subdivisions how they like their new homes, and I only got one good comment. Most of them said they had alot of problems before closing and now they are still having problems. They did like the fact that they got such a big house for cheap, but they are having alot of problems. I think the saying that you get what you pay for is true. I do not want to sway anyones oppinions, so do your homework. I just have been studying them for a few months now and don't think that I will buy Legacy. Good luck. I have found three builders that I like. Silver Creek, Knight Homes, and Brayson. Their houses are a little smaller, but the houses are built with better products. I bought a lemon car in 2001, and I vowed to do my homework before i make a large purchase.
Personally I think JonJon is either full of it or they are simply a plant to spread dis-information. Or both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:28 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si7steve View Post
Personally I think JonJon is either full of it or they are simply a plant to spread dis-information. Or both!
Steve, it is very nice for you that you are so happy with your house but you seem to be more the exception than the rule. When you have 20 pages of posts from people who are unhappy with a company, and then you have one person (you) who seems to be satisfied with the quality, then how do you come to the conclusion that there is disinformation being spread? isn't it possible that a lousy builder can once in a while turn out a half-way decent house? You lucked out!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCanton View Post
I found the mention of section 8 housing interesting. That's a term that neither my husband, nor I, or any of our neighbors have heard before, but it's been used recently by one of the builders of our community here in Canton. I'm glad a definition of the term was posted after your post. There are three homes in this "single family home" community that house more than one family. I'm talking about the multiple families that need to call the sheriffs department out in order to resolve civil disputes on a regular basis. We were under the impression that we were buying a home in a neighborhood, not an odd house in an apartment complex. I'm not clear on how this is legal.

At any rate, that's enough of my rant. For those of you looking at Legacy beware, as they will not protect your investment.
My husband and I both love the Rosewood. It really is a large house, but it’s an easy floorplan to call home once you’ve settled in.
Some of the problems we encountered: The drywall throughout the house has more nail pops and tape tearing than I can count. There are chips, cracks, and enamel is warn away on all of the tubs, showers, and sinks. We’ve found a leak in just about every bathroom, and I’m talking about the ones that you find when you notice the water dripping from the ceiling on the floor below. All of the cabinets have some sort of film that looks like glue all over them. It takes some elbow Greece to get that out. Every linoleum surface is covered in glue splatters. The floorboards are coming up on the second story in several places. We don’t know yet what’s wrong with the wiring in the house. All of the appliances supplied by Legacy’s vender Cowan and Cowan are second hand or refurbished appliances. And last week while reinforcing an electrical box in my attic that was only attached to the ceiling by one nail I happened upon a large plastic bucket full of what once was urine, and feces (now emaciated in my attic). I can only assume that the workers left it up there for us to find later on.

All new homes have their kinks, and problems. We knew this, and we were willing to deal with this, but when we find that the warranty is virtually nonexistent it makes all of those "new house" problems so much larger. We've had our air conditioners replaced three times now. Did I mention we've only been in the house for one year? All three times were due to the fact that the last guy didn't install the compressor correctly. The most difficult thing was to try and get them to come out and look at the units each time we noticed they weren't working. We were told that "people in Georgia have been without air conditioning for over 20 years" twice by two different customer service reps at Legacy corporate. We were hung up on, and told that we’re just too far away by Deerman; the company who was hired to provide maintenance and service to the A/C units in this subdivision.

After a year, a much more watchful eye, a much more developed sense of humor, and no idea what might come next I can conclude that while the Rosewood is a lovely floorplan; no one in their right mind should willingly allow Legacy Communities into any part of their life, let alone an investment as important as their home.
If I had it to do all over again, I’d have purchased a smaller home for the same price.
No offense to this person but I think this post is also a possible plant. I would certainly consider this post and it's information with a lot of caution.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Steve, it is very nice for you that you are so happy with your house but you seem to be more the exception than the rule. When you have 20 pages of posts from people who are unhappy with a company, and then you have one person (you) who seems to be satisfied with the quality, then how do you come to the conclusion that there is disinformation being spread? isn't it possible that a lousy builder can once in a while turn out a half-way decent house? You lucked out!
Na, I totally dis-agree with you. I have read and re-read this thread 3-4 times. That is all 19 pages and the truth is that most of the postings are positive. When you read closely and track each poster you begin to see a trend. The negative posters are only a small handful who really become suspect in their motives.

Anyone who genuinely has been involved with Legacy Homes has 99% of the time had nothing but good expereinces to share just like mine. I did all the research such as at the BBB and Legacy relatively has a handful of complaints and all of those resolved.

Read closer and you will see the same thing.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-17-2008, 01:18 AM

48 posts, read 108,076 times
Steve,

Keep us updated on how things go. The things I red on this forum and some other web sites actually steered me clear of Legacy. I'm still home shopping, but they've moved to the bottom of my list thanks to alot of the negative feedback.

I've been through 2 of their communities in Clayton, 1 in Henry, 2 in Fulton, and 2 in Cowetta and haven't yet seen anything that would raise alarms with their homes. I mean, you do get what you pay for, nothing is of amazing work, but you do get alot of decent home for your money. No rear gutters is a bit dissapointing though. I've been eyeing their brand new community in Newnan at Bullsboro Crossing. Only the model home is up so far.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 24,551 times
Default talking about plants....

Steve,

Talking about plants, one may accuse you of of the same. Are you a Legacy employee, trying to do damage control now that the word is getting out about their poor quality, dishonest tactics and increasingly bad reputation? I pulled your posting history, and it appears most of your posts are attempts to silence or contradict those who have complaints against BOTH Homelife and Legacy. Point in case here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=3639983

Ask yourself why Legacy was rated the WORST builder in Atlanta by JD Power....Ask yourself why they have so many BBB complaints. I can provide my BBB case number which has NOT been resolved, so your information is false. Just to show that I'm a "real" involved person, I will be posting actual photos of my home to demonstrate their "quality". Look for them over the next week or so. Maybe the first picture I post will be the one of the bucket of human feces we found in my attic, but in the interest of good taste I think I'll leave that one out...

This forum is for the exchange of ideas and information. If you had a good experience, then by all means tell others about it. But don't try to censor those of us who have had absolute nightmares with Legacy. Many of us are trying to warn others, as well as gain some attention from Legacy's corporate office in the hopes that they finally give in and do the right thing.

I do have some insight though from an "insider" who is familiar with Legacy's way of doing business. I'm told that they use subcontractors to build the homes (no big secret here). The scary/interesting thing is that any warranty work to be done after closing comes out of the sub's pocket. So take a guess how willing these guys are to fix anything that needs to be addressed, which directly impacts their bottom line? Add to that the fact that they are subs, and typically don't care about Legacy getting their reputation trashed, as they have already been paid for their work and their name stays out of the mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by si7steve View Post
Na, I totally dis-agree with you. I have read and re-read this thread 3-4 times. That is all 19 pages and the truth is that most of the postings are positive. When you read closely and track each poster you begin to see a trend. The negative posters are only a small handful who really become suspect in their motives.

Anyone who genuinely has been involved with Legacy Homes has 99% of the time had nothing but good expereinces to share just like mine. I did all the research such as at the BBB and Legacy relatively has a handful of complaints and all of those resolved.

Read closer and you will see the same thing.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by arameth; 02-17-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arameth View Post
Steve,

Talking about plants, one may accuse you of of the same. Are you a Legacy employee, trying to do damage control now that the word is getting out about their poor quality, dishonest tactics and increasingly bad reputation? I pulled your posting history, and it appears most of your posts are attempts to silence or contradict those who have complaints against BOTH Homelife and Legacy. Point in case here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=3639983

Ask yourself why Legacy was rated the WORST builder in Atlanta by JD Power....Ask yourself why they have so many BBB complaints. I can provide my BBB case number which has NOT been resolved, so your information is false. Just to show that I'm a "real" involved person, I will be posting actual photos of my home to demonstrate their "quality". Look for them over the next week or so. Maybe the first picture I post will be the one of the bucket of human feces we found in my attic, but in the interest of good taste I think I'll leave that one out...

This forum is for the exchange of ideas and information. If you had a good experience, then by all means tell others about it. But don't try to censor those of us who have had absolute nightmares with Legacy. Many of us are trying to warn others, as well as gain some attention from Legacy's corporate office in the hopes that they finally give in and do the right thing.

I do have some insight though from an "insider" who is familiar with Legacy's way of doing business. I'm told that they use subcontractors to build the homes (no big secret here). The scary/interesting thing is that any warranty work to be done after closing comes out of the sub's pocket. So take a guess how willing these guys are to fix anything that needs to be addressed, which directly impacts their bottom line? Add to that the fact that they are subs, and typically don't care about Legacy getting their reputation trashed, as they have already been paid for their work and their name stays out of the mess...
Great to know you are a real person but if you had real issues, that is a shame. I certainly wish you well.

Here is the link at the BBB for Legacy Communities, LLC.

Atlanta, GA: Check Out a Business or Charity

No offense to you or anyone. Actually my advice would be to not believe me anymore than anyone else on here. Except I will be glad to back up my comments with facts like the link above. Please give us more info regarding your issue and perhaps it will give your comments more weight.

I suggest to people they do their own research and be smart when they purchase. DON'T listen to people who say things like "Don't buy from Legacy". I am sorry when someone does that it is just ignorant advice to give or it is simply dis-information.

It doesn't take much to review this entire thread carefully and you will see that most peoples are not having bad experiences with Legacy.

If you are indeed having issues I truly wish you well with it and I trust you will find a resolve soon. I am not sure why it doesn't list you at BBB?

We get our inspection this week and I will be glad to post results here. I really think that should say a lot. I will post info no matter whether it is negative or positive.

So far Legacy Homes and Hopewell Manor Rocks!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTENSS View Post
Steve,

Keep us updated on how things go. The things I red on this forum and some other web sites actually steered me clear of Legacy. I'm still home shopping, but they've moved to the bottom of my list thanks to alot of the negative feedback.

I've been through 2 of their communities in Clayton, 1 in Henry, 2 in Fulton, and 2 in Cowetta and haven't yet seen anything that would raise alarms with their homes. I mean, you do get what you pay for, nothing is of amazing work, but you do get alot of decent home for your money. No rear gutters is a bit dissapointing though. I've been eyeing their brand new community in Newnan at Bullsboro Crossing. Only the model home is up so far.
I will be glad to keep you informed and updated. We have been super happy with the Legacy people at Hopewell Manor. Legacy has built a lot of neighborhoods and you know that some must have more issues than others.
At Hopewell Manor they definitely provide all the gutters. It seems so ridiculous for others to even say that they don't. Our house is built perfect with them front, back and side.

We have seen a lot of sub-contractors as others have said there seems to be a lot of that. I wouldn't buy a home from any of these builders without really checking the home closely. I can only believe that the folks who had issues did not do that and that is shame.

I will keep in touch, need pictures?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM

48 posts, read 108,076 times
Don't need pictures, but thank you. I took my fair share scouting all of their neighborhoods.

Hopefully everything will continue well for you...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,532 times
Default Work for Legacy

First of all..I work for Legacy. When you build as may homes a year as Legacy does you will tend to have some problems. The one thing is how good is your builder(the guy that is out at the subdivision everyday)? That's the key. Steve, you have a pretty good builder and Area Manager out at Hopewell Manor. If you guys know what to look for when your home is being built than you should be ok. Go check on the progress if you see something wrong, raise cain and they'll usually fix it. Yes, we make the subs pay for their warranty work, but shouldn't they, they are the ones that messed it up in the first place. Also, the owner is not Scott Schmidt. He's the president if construction, not the owner. If you go to Legacy website and watch the commercial you'll see the owner is Steve Been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta