Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM

28 posts, read 88,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
Are you even reading my posts????

1. The lot I looked at that was move in ready was a year ago. Since then it has gutters AFTER I pointed out it did not and after I pointed out Legacy had a rep for no gutters to the Hopewell Sales team and builder.

2. 10 years in the credit industry for building materials I KNOW what Legacy is about.

3. An intrest still? As a credit manager in the building suppy industry this is my duty. It keeps my clients informed. I also have an intrest in one of thier partners and a lawsuit I filed when he opperated in another company. I also drive past it every day on the way home and giggle that I did not buy there and loose money.

4. I am qualified to voice my opinion due a business course of dealing like you, a business relationship with the builder at one time, proffesional and knowledge shared with other credit managers at trade group meetings.

5. I post in several forums, Atlanta, Maine, Business and Finance. You only created a profile to due damage control on your subdivision. I will let the forum decide who has the credibility here Steve O. Give it up. Forums are to post opinions and info not regain lost property values with a Builder that has a reputation with the community, BBB, this forum, and business supply vendors.

By the way....I will be surprised of the Mod does not delete this whole thread as it is against posting rules to bash a business.
__________________________________________________ _____________

You seem very angry. Not sure why but I am going to address each of your points one at a time because you still are very vague. I really hope you will drop your un-warranted attacks on Legacy soon.

1. The lot I looked at that was move in ready was a year ago. Since then it has gutters AFTER I pointed out it did not and after I pointed out Legacy had a rep for no gutters to the Hopewell Sales team and builder.

Steve> I actually was curious which lot "number" (200?, 201?) you were looking at. When asked about this, they said that not all counties require the builder put on gutters and that if it wasn't required, they did not always offer things like this. Perhaps back then Forsyth did not require gutters. Gee, all you had to do was ask them about it. No need to get angry with them. That is all I did and the house we are having built it loaded with gutters.<

2. 10 years in the credit industry for building materials I KNOW what Legacy is about.

Steve> You say that you know what Legacy is about. Uh ok, tell us what Legay is about. Provide some actual facts and perhaps being less vague. What credit company do you work for? What exact info do you have the says Legacy is having issues in Hopewell Manor. Be specific so we might be able to believe you.<

3. An intrest still? As a credit manager in the building suppy industry this is my duty. It keeps my clients informed. I also have an intrest in one of thier partners and a lawsuit I filed when he opperated in another company. I also drive past it every day on the way home and giggle that I did not buy there and loose money.

Steve> It's almost like this isn't helping you because you are proving that you have some inside job that might lead you to go against Legacy. Such as they are some how taking money away from "what ever" company you work for. Tell us more about the supposed lawsuit you mention. To much vague info! Be more specific.

4. I am qualified to voice my opinion due a business course of dealing like you, a business relationship with the builder at one time, proffesional and knowledge shared with other credit managers at trade group meetings.

Steve> Again to vague. Nice credentials perhaps but you are really saying nothing.<

5. I post in several forums, Atlanta, Maine, Business and Finance. You only created a profile to due damage control on your subdivision. I will let the forum decide who has the credibility here Steve O. Give it up. Forums are to post opinions and info not regain lost property values with a Builder that has a reputation with the community, BBB, this forum, and business supply vendors.

Steve> I posted because I was a bit disgusted with what I was reading here. I couldn't believe how different the negative posts are compared to what I was going through. That is why I began to look closer. Mainly because people like you almost scared me off from a good deal. That had me curious why. I am starting to see why. The same few people are trying to make Legacy look bad no matter how many people say that they are having good experiences. It doesn't seem to matter that others are saying Legacy is ok. Why would those few people (like you) continue to say the opposite. Being a professional you must know that building that many homes there will be some issues if not even some lemons. But why are they trying so hard to bash Legacy. Legacy seems more than fine to me and many others. Go back and read ALL the posts.

I only have $1 in earnest money down on this house. I have nothing to loose and really nothing to gain by posting here. I told the agent the other day how lucky my wife and I are because we can walk away at any time (they weren't thrilled to hear me say that). I don't have to buy the house because we can stay where we are for as long as we like. I have no pressure on me to buy this house and those are the facts.

Our appraisals show us already in the black. I don't mean this in a negative way but according to what you have said, my house has more equity in it than your house does at Dr Horton. Our house being built right now is showing the lowest appraisal as being $26,000 above what we are paying and largest appraisal is almost $40,000 above our purchase price. Our rebuild appraisal is about $70,000 above our purchase price.

You would have me listening to you more if you said anything with some type of real evidence attached. You must mean well and obviously have a real concern. If you know of issues, I really would like to hear about them. Be more specific and I can then digest what you are sharing and research it further. Beleive me, I have looked into Legacy and they are not as negative as some are making them out to be. Actually it seems Legacy Rocks!!!<

By the way....I will be surprised of the Mod does not delete this whole thread as it is against posting rules to bash a business.

Steve> I finally agree with you and actually think the whole thread should be removed. All these negative posts that go beyond saying what their bad experience was, they actually say things like don't use them. What right do they have to say things like that? Tell us how bad the experience was, tell us what happened, but don't say for people not to use them. I still don't understand yours and others outrage at Legacy. Hmm you didn't like the home, I wonder why it didn't end there.<

I promise to post anything here bad or good. So far it has mainly been all good. The latest "bad" thing was that our closing has possibly been extended a few days. They have promised us that anything we see that is poor quality will be fixed prior (before not after) to our closing. I will be glad to tell you if they did or did not do this.

Please be happy and enjoy life. No need to spend so much time being negative about something that is in your past. If you see specific things wrong today with Legacy please share those actual facts with us or of course you will do good to share that info with your clients who might be using Legacy.

It's ok to enjoy life. Let someone do a good job for you and most often they will. Again I wish you the best and hope we can end this soon.

Thanks,

Steve (what was your name? Witch?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Just to balance the playing field, I have pulled up some reviews on Dr Horton homes. I am going to focus on the negative posts (which was most of them) I found to prove that all builders have their issues. I would want to believe that Dr. Horton must be a fine builder and these or not my opinions. But it proves that dirt can be dug up on any builder.

Link 1
D R Horton Management And Torrey - Smyrna, GA 30082 - Reviews: Construction Companies

One of the posts from this thread,

>>>"I bought my house on December 2006, before I close Escrow we have many concern about up grades, several mistakes and they threat me if I not close escrow I will loose all my deposits plus 3% of value house , It is a Nightmare.
My Home is a mess , Cracks all over the house , half way no electricity. My entrance all cements floor is cracked including driveway.Stucco around the house
is all cracks. Fire place not working , Kitchen cabinets not good, some windows don't close. French doors not even , Drive wall not even , stain on stairs very bad.
a lot of schedule for repair and not show up. Don't trust this company at all!
I am a Victim from Dr-Horton American Builder"<<<

__________________________________________________ __________

Link 2

Consumer Complaints about DR Horton Homes

One of the posts from this thread,

There are too many things wrong. They have painted my house 4 times and it is still no good. The island in my kitchen is not finished, the underside trim only has primer. Now I received a bill for utility work and other things around this house, but nobody is taking responsibility for the poor job.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Link 3

HomeOwners for Better Building - DR Horton - Latest News

One post from this thread,

[SIZE=1]D.R. Horton Inc., one of the nation's largest homebuilders, is being sued by a one-time customer who says he was forced to use the company's affiliated mortgage service to buy his home, according to a regulatory filing. The lawsuit charges the homebuilder with violating the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission...Horton's revenue from homebuilding fell to $2.55 billion from $3.59 billion, and the number of closings on homes plunged 28 percent. The company's cancellation rate for homes reached 38 percent, twice the norm.[/SIZE]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________

AS YOU CAN SEE, all builders can have their issues and if you want to avoid these things, be patient but diligent with your builder. Tell them all the things that need fixed before you sign on the dotted line. This is why Legacy offers so many walk throughs and warranties. They have assured us that they will make all things right that we don't like. We do our 1st walk through in just a few days. That is where I tell them about any issues I or my inspector sees. Then they fix it, then we walk through again to insure all things are fixed. Once they are fixed, then we close on the house. We then do several more walk throughs during the life of the house (As I recall, they are 2 month, 6 month, 1 year and 2 year which I think is the final). Seems like a good system to me.

LEGACY HOMES ARE GREAT!!!

Last edited by si7steve; 02-19-2008 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,848 times
[color=Navy] AS YOU CAN SEE, all builders can have their issues and if you want to avoid these things, be patient but diligent with your builder. Tell them all the things that need fixed before you sign on the dotted line. This is why Legacy offers so many walk throughs and warranties. They have assured us that they will make all things right that we don't like. We do our 1st walk through in just a few days. That is where I tell them about any issues I or my inspector sees. Then they fix it, then we walk through again to insure all things are fixed. Once they are fixed, then we close on the house. We then do several more walk throughs during the life of the house (As I recall, they are 2 month, 6 month, 1 year and 2 year which I think is the final). Seems like a good system to me.

Smartest thing you said so far! LOL No anomosity here on my end. I live for a good debate. You and I can agree to disagree.

I am no longer a fan of DR. Horton. You can look up my posting on them as well.

Did a local bank due the appraisal? I too wish you nothing but the best.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,346 times
jtmony

Any home that you buy needs to have an inspection. Depending on the county or municipality that your home is located, some codes may not be enforced due to negligence or incompotence of the inspection departments. Politics sometimes works it's way into the process and some code violations are overlooked. A good home inspector will point out code violations and defects that will need to be addresed prior to closing. I have done inspections on Legacy homes this year and the results vary from house to house. I highly recommend a home inspection. If you have specific questions feel free to contact me by reply.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 15,207 times
Post looking to buy

Please be careful and research evrything before you do it. I recommend a smaller builder in which their reputation and quality show and not just their size. If all you want is the most square footage for the money than just be careful. At worst check out a subdivision 3-5 years old that they built and then decide if their homes are worth your time, I think once you do, you'll be surprised.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Hopewell Manor Update

As I mentioned, our closing has been put off for about a week. Our on-site builders were refreshingly honest about the reasons sighting that some of the sub-contractor work failed inspection and it was up to them to make it right. (these items have already been fixed, less than 2 days later)

They do use subs in here for sure and they don't hide that fact. But they also really make the subs responsible for their work which I think is the right thing to do as well.

They cleaned the house the other day and it is really looking really good. It was an amazing process because my wife and I had walked the house alone hardly a day before and probably came up with a list of at least 10 items that needed some type of fixing or attention. When we came in the next day it was as if they had us on camera because everything was fixed. They have been so responsive to any items that needed attention (even with out us asking) and I just can't imagine a more professional crew of management people to work with.

I finally got to meet my soon to be neighbor who has lived in Hopewell Manor for 1 1/2 years. He said everything has been fine. I asked about warranty work and he said they had not needed much but what did need fixed was taken care of quickly. He had absolutely no complaints which was quite reassuring.

The saga continues but so far Legacy in Hopewell Manor has been fantastic. I would highly recommend them from our experience so far.

FYI, our appraisals came from both the mortgage company and our insurance company. No one private for that but our inspector is a private company and he will give us the real scoop but at this point, our builder and us are betting he won't find a thing. We do the inspection on Wednesday and I will post the results here.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:27 AM

80 posts, read 351,767 times
Here's the county's list of liens and deeds for Hopewell Manor. The lein amounts are small (at least the ones I looked at), in the $200 range. I don't know why they're not paying, but I'm intending to ask, since I've got a contract in there, too, but my house isn't started yet.

Tiny URL - create a shorter link

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills View Post
Here's the county's list of liens and deeds for Hopewell Manor. The lein amounts are small (at least the ones I looked at), in the $200 range. I don't know why they're not paying, but I'm intending to ask, since I've got a contract in there, too, but my house isn't started yet.

Tiny URL - create a shorter link
Nice work digging this stuff up. I have come to the conclusion (but don't know for sure) that perhaps if there are liens (and there sure seems to be some) that these might be coming from the sub-contractors. I am going to ask if maybe they are getting supplies in Legacy's name.

Obviously I have been real happy with my experience so far, we close in less than a week, I really trust you will also have an enjoyable experience.

I would love to hear about how things go if you feel like sharing here.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 02-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Well, we picked our lot a month ago and the build is still not permitted. So they're dragging a little, but I've got a house to sell before I move anyway.

You can read who the liens are from; Sherwin-Williams, etc. For labor and materials. Perhaps these guys (subs) are getting money held back from the jobs they do when Legacy has to come in and re-do it? That would make sense. I had an air-duct cleaner threaten to lien on me when I told him to come re-do the job the right way or I was cancelling payment. I ended up letting the payment go through and hired another company. But I did complain everywhere I could about that air-duct guy and the State sent me a thank-you letter along with a copy of his Cease and Desist.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM

And hey, I just realized that the Covenants are on that page, too. *runs off to do some reading*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta