Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,792 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Wow am I glad for stumbling on this page. My husband and I are considering moving to ATL and buying in a legacy commuity, specifically Palmetto Farms or St. Martins Landing. I was impressed with how big the homes were and the prices, but I definitely don't want to get taken. Does anyone live in either of these communities that can give some insight? I have read most of the posts from way back in 2007 and most are negative and now I'm getting nervous. I definitely don't want to live in a community that is 50% occupied that's one of the reasons why we are considering moving> :-(

If anyone has the Northview or Northpoint model, let me know!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
pk1

4 posts, read 9,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si7steve View Post
We had our walk through today with Legacy and we are set to close on Friday. We tagged a ton of things that needed "polished" and they jumped right in to fix those items. Probably 60% fixed with in 24 hours, looks like the rest over the next 24 hours.

Amazing customer service and attention. Our great experience continues. We have our private inspector walk through tomorrow and I look forward to those results. I will let you know how they do.

Happy Hopewell Manor Customer,

Steve
How did the inspections go? Let us know about the results and the closing if you don't mind.
Many of us here are following this thread to see how everyones experience with legacy is.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 PM

28 posts, read 88,545 times
After about 3 hours our inspector only found about 10 main items and thankfully non of them were significant. Some of the things were items like insulation was thin or beat down from workers in a few spots. He also noted some roof tiles were damaged and the roofer apparently just put another roof shingle under the damaged one thinking that would fix it.

Another issue was that some of the AC ducts had some rips or needed some patches.

We had already spent the week doing our walk through and gave our Legacy Closing Manager, Todd, a pretty long list of items to be fixed or cleaned up. It didn't seem to matter to Todd how many things we came up with, he was determined to make any issues right.

After all the dust settled they seemed to have fixed everything on my inspectors list and really did a bang up job on our list.

That seems to be the whole trick to check very closely and be diligent about asking for things to be fixed. They will make it right which they did for us and now our house really looks awesome. We are super happy and I have met several more neighbors since moving in who said that Legacy does indeed stand by the warranty and that they love living at Hopewell Manor. I could not find anyone who had any major issues that needed fixed.

This has all taken place at Hopewell Manor in Forsyth County GA.

EXCEPT, I have to say that the issue I do have is one that others have mentioned. I am some what disgusted by how the construction industry operates. They seem very irresponsible when it comes to trash, waste and debris. It is amazing that a person moves in to a "new" house and it needs cleaned but an old house is likely to be move in ready.

Trash is really a problem and we had to really ride them to get our lot cleaned up and I still find where they had just buried some of the trash. It is really gross and I think that industry needs to change and get with the times. Be responsible for YOUR TRASH and WASTE!!

We learned a lot though during this whole process and in the end we were very happy with our main builder Todd at Hopewell Manor. He is a real pro and even though he represents "that" industry, I really appreciated the way he operates and he took super care of us.

So the verdict is in and according to our experience, Hopewell Manor does ROCK!! All the neighbors say the same and everything considered, we had a great experience with Legacy!

My inspector was CC Motes and if anyone is interested I would highly recommend him and can pass on his info.

Kind Regards from a Happy Hopewell Homeowner Steve

Old 03-05-2008, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,792 times
Well good luck with your new home. If we decide to move to ATL I hope our experience is a good one. We just have to make sure we do our due diligence and hire our own inspector.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
CLE

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Default Nightmare house

I bought a Rosewood last year. It has been nothing but night mare since day one. I have had my heating and air work on five times. On top of that I can see my ceiling tape joint. Warranty has worked on the ceiling problems about seven time it's still not fix. I have two huge spots in my living room ceiling where they repaired some tape joint problems. The ceiling look like I had a roof leak and they are try to tell me it looks standard. I had one of the warranty man say that looks good I can see anything. I have had it up to my neck with the bad repairs on a brand new seven month home. What happened to Customer Satisfaction " satisfaction guaranteed" they say. But who is guaranting it Because I not getting it.

Homebuying 101. You better take before buying one of these homes. American Dream turned out to be a American nightmare for me. I have missed about 10 day of work trying to get these problems resolved.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 17,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arameth View Post
So it must be fate that I stumbled upon this forum. Here I am, sitting in a warm house today because I had to take time off of work as my A/C has failed for the FOURTH time in less than one year. Only one guess as to who sold me the home: Legacy.

This is without a doubt the worst experience we've ever had with a home, whether it was new construction or a resale. We purchased the Rosewood model, which is nice. The master bath is a bit odd/small, especially the shower. We found it odd that none of the bathrooms had medicine cabinets, nor do the vanities have any drawers. I swear that this house has less storage space than our old one, and this one is 1000 sq ft larger.

I could give you pages upon pages of the problems we've had...leaks, electrical problems, shoddy construction and poor quality, A/C and heatin failures, etc. But even better is the worthless "warranty" that they provide. I was told last summer that when my A/C went out, that I was being unreasonable when they said it would be a few days until someone could make it out. When I got upset at this, they indicated that "humans have lived thousands of years without AC". I responded that this was true, but those humans didn't pay Legacy quarter of a million dollars for a house either. This time around, I called Tuesday for my AC being out...and the tech who called me back indicated I was too far away to come out to do service for (I live in Cherokee County, city of Canton, Curtis Farm subdivision). Wednesday, the AC guys indicated they couldn't make it out again, but scheduled me for Thursday morning. No great surprise when they didn't show, and I had to call and complain in order to get someone out here, as I have family coming to visit tomorrow and will be staying with us.

The really scary part is the things that you don't know. I cannot speak for other subdivisions, but this one is a trainwreck. The laborers they use (of unknown legal status in this country) leave trash everywhere. And when we've looked at other homes that were under construction with relatives that were interested in buying, we even found the workers had deficated/urinated on the floor and in the walls, and were putting their trash inside the drywall. Another shocking fact: No two models are the same. We have seen the inside of 3 other Rosewoods in our community. The others are smaller, and we're talking by over 150 sq ft total. The dimensions of the room differ slightly, and the foot print of homes can differ. Make 101% sure that you take measurements of a model first, and compare to your finished product. Also, several of the homes in the subdivision are losing their back and side yards to erosion, and it wouldnt' surprise me in the next year to see some of those home condemned if they don't build rentention walls (which should have been done in the first place).

It gets better: We went to plant some new shrubs in our front planter beds...and it turns out that our beds are filled with trash. Not just regular trash either...things like styrofoam, roof tiles and insulation, which are not biodegradable.

The funny part (if you're not me) is the BS they feed you to try to cover up and dance their way out of the very realistic problems they have. For exmaple, I complained about the kitchen cabinets before we moved in as nearly 1/2 of the fronts were defective. I was told "this is normal". That seems to be their canned response for anything that they don't want to fix, because it's too difficult or too expensive.

Something is funny with Legacy...it almost seems that they are not actually building these houses, but sub out the work to "builders" (that's what they call them), and there has been a steady stream of these guys who have come and gone through our subdivision. The latest one seems to be good, but the one who was around for our house is long gone. Seems a bit shady, and at the least, does not lend itself to ensuring a quality home.

I have warned all my friends and family who are moving up here to stay very far away from this company, and specifically this subdivision. I cannot say all of Legacy's subdivisions and homes have the problems we have, but based on how Legacy has responded (or ignored) these problems, I could never recomend them.

In short, Caveat Emptor, especially with these guys.

PS: IMHO, the BBB is a scam...if you're a paying member company (like Legacy is), the complaints often get smoothed over or closed without the customer getting a situation resolved properly.

If there is a class action lawsuit being prepared, I and several other homeowners in our community would definately be interested in learning more. Please let me know.
But what you said was mostly about the sub contractors not the builder itself and the reason I said this is because my son is in a Legacy Communnity and he loves it in Dekalb and you said you did not get your a/c fixed what does that have to do with Legacy you being to far out you bought out in a rural area so you get service people way out and they might only be licensed for your county and not all over Atlanta area,also the trash that happens with any builder the workman eat and put trash on property does not have to be a ethnic thing just lazy people. I have a friend with a KB home in Atlanta workman did same thing and they seem to all be legal and I do not live in Atl any longer and all homes builded in ca are sub contacted to others but homes are good so do not use that one builders can get good sub tractors and they can get bad ones verizon in Ca sub contracts also I waited 3 days to get DSL/Fios because of area we have to face it good help is hard to find in any entitity.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Legacy warranty is for real

Hello all, I just wanted to pass on the latest regarding Hopewell Manor and Legacy Builders.

We had a minor issue with our master bath shower not providing full hot water. You could see that the actual handle would not go up enough to give you a proper flow of hot water. So far this is our only issue we have discovered.

Since it was enough hot water that our showers were fine, we were not in a big hurry to get it fixed. I was then out in front of our house after our 3rd day moved in when I was approached by a Legacy warranty guy. He said he was just stopping by to see if we had any issues or if anything may have been left unresolved.

I told him about the shower and he said no problem he would have them send the plumbing crew out to adjust it. With in an hour I was getting called by legacy warranty department wanting to schedule someone to come by and fix the shower. Someone was there with in a few days and the issue was fixed. Not only did he fix the issue, he noticed a leak on the outside faucet and he fixed that then issued an order for someone to repair the area of wall he accessed.

After talking to the other neighbors, they said the warranty response from Legacy has always been this way and no one has had any problems or said anything negative.

This is not just for Hopewell Manor but as far as I know it is Legacy's standard warranty department. So far I am not only pleased, I am almost amazed with how good Legacy is after the purchase.

Perhaps these other folks issues were related to....uh.... actually I just don't know how others are having problems. I trust they will find ways to fix them though.

Begin Personal Rant>
One gripe I continue to have about Hopewell Manor and all construction sites is that they are covered with litter. I don't know what makes a worker think it is ok to throw trash on the ground. I am talking about things like their lunch bags and other things that are actually litter. But I also include in this rant the so called "building materials". I have found paint cans with paint half buried in dirt all over the place. There is also dozens and dozens of used caulk guns that are literally buried and thrown every where.

I don't know for sure but I think a lot of items like these are being buried with toxic materials still inside them. I think this type of practice needs to end!!!

I even saw where the guys working on our roof through a bunch of the shingles in the woods next door.

I actually picked up all of this junk around my house because my Legacy builder said they would remove it and didn't. I could not resist taking them a nice batch of it and insisted that they throw that away. The builder did not seemed amused or pleased.

I am going to be watching them at Hopewell Manor and I will be posting pictures of any littering that I see the builders or workers doing.

The building industry needs to go green and quit polluting!!!
<End Personal Rant

Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 AM

242 posts, read 840,028 times
I dont know if I have said it previously on this thread but we were advised that the quality of house and customer care will vary from subdivision to subdivision depending on the sub-contractors and on-site managers. That is why some don't have positive things to say. Unfortunately Legacy have more bad than good feedback.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
I dont know if I have said it previously on this thread but we were advised that the quality of house and customer care will vary from subdivision to subdivision depending on the sub-contractors and on-site managers. That is why some don't have positive things to say. Unfortunately Legacy have more bad than good feedback.
It is interesting though because the warranty we have at Hopewell Manor is I believe the same one that Legacy offers to all its communities. When I call the warranty department about an issue they ask me what neighborhood I live in so they obviously serve all Legacy sites.

Also when I count the posts at this web site I see more positive posts about Legacy than I do negative.

What I do see is a certain few people who keep posting about negative things but not many other people besides them really have any problems. It seems that most people are actually saying that they are very happy with their Legacy Home. Look for yourself, count them up and you will see that most people who post are saying good things about Legacy.

I still see no reason to believe that the folks that posted so many times about negative issues really ever even had issues. I am very skeptical about some of these folks. Or let me say that at least the information they are sharing is perhaps not accurate or is extremely isolated.

I feel for anyone suffering with real issues but would still counsel people to simply be cautious about believing any information they read on the internet posted by people hiding behind screen names. It only makes sense to have any home thoroughly checked and inspected before purchasing.

I am a "real" person and would be glad to show people the "real" Legacy that operates here in Georgia at Hopewell Manor. At least the one I have come to know. Ask them at the Hopewell sales center, I think they can steer you towards me.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM

281 posts, read 1,052,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si7steve View Post
It is interesting though because the warranty we have at Hopewell Manor is I believe the same one that Legacy offers to all its communities. When I call the warranty department about an issue they ask me what neighborhood I live in so they obviously serve all Legacy sites.

Also when I count the posts at this web site I see more positive posts about Legacy than I do negative.

What I do see is a certain few people who keep posting about negative things but not many other people besides them really have any problems. It seems that most people are actually saying that they are very happy with their Legacy Home. Look for yourself, count them up and you will see that most people who post are saying good things about Legacy.

I still see no reason to believe that the folks that posted so many times about negative issues really ever even had issues. I am very skeptical about some of these folks. Or let me say that at least the information they are sharing is perhaps not accurate or is extremely isolated.

I feel for anyone suffering with real issues but would still counsel people to simply be cautious about believing any information they read on the internet posted by people hiding behind screen names. It only makes sense to have any home thoroughly checked and inspected before purchasing.

I am a "real" person and would be glad to show people the "real" Legacy that operates here in Georgia at Hopewell Manor. At least the one I have come to know. Ask them at the Hopewell sales center, I think they can steer you towards me.
Very nobel of you. And what ifthey happened to be one of the "rare ones" that had issues and bought on your praise?

Posts like your are the few, I did count them and we are all skeptical of YOUR intentions. As stated before....beating a dead horse here Steve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta